نمايش نتايج 1 به 10 از 130

نام تاپيک: Writing & Editing & Tips

تاريخ عضويت
    May 2008
    محل سكونت
    formidable paths
    پست ها

پيش فرض Writing & Editing & Tips

This topic devoted to writing essays, articles and stories where you can get help and suggestion about structure and grammatical mistakes from other members.
    It means that somebody writes an essay or article about any subject and the other members revise and correct his/her text.

I hope the people that are good in English accompany us.

I found some tips on the internet, I think it could be useful if you put some of your suggestions or experiences to improve writing skills.

Notes:

- Space between paragraphs.
    - Do not space between comma, You need a comma before a quotation.
    After she slapped him, he said, “I still love you.”
    -A comma is required in question tags.
    Sonia lives in Mangalore, doesn’t she?
    - Don’t use a comma between the month and the day and between street number and
    name.
    I was born on April 26, 1977.
    I live on 32 Cunningham Road.
    - For the introduction, write the thesis statement and give some background
    information.
    -Write clear and simple sentences to express your meaning.
    - In the last sentence (or last paragraph) sum up your argument.

Good Luck

2. این کاربر از SCYTHE بخاطر این مطلب مفید تشکر کرده است

تاريخ عضويت
    May 2008
    محل سكونت
    formidable paths
    پست ها

پيش فرض

Some movies are serious, designed to make the audience think. Other movies are designed primarily to amuse and entertain. Which type of movie do you prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer

I think both of them are necessary because everyone has it’s own sense. I personally do not confine myself to watch just some special types of movies, every kind of movies has its own value, sometimes I need to watch a comedy to make me laugh but I usually prefer to watch some kind of movies that make a big effect on me or make me think.

The reason behind my decision is clear, we only live on time and we do not have infinite time to experience everything, therefore we should try to take advantage of every second of our life. I really do not fancy to watch a cheap movie for example some romantic movies that you can guest at the end there will be a marriage, or an action movie that there is a good guy that kill all bad guys.

I like movies based on history, fiction (like Lord of the rings or Perfume) or real stories (like Beautiful mind or clockwork orange). Some of these movies have changed the direction of my life and somehow I owe them!.

In summery, I have respect for every kind of movies, we at different times have different feelings so we need to watch different movies, but I prefer to watch movies to make a big impact on me.

4. این کاربر از SCYTHE بخاطر این مطلب مفید تشکر کرده است

تاريخ عضويت
    May 2008
    محل سكونت
    formidable paths
    پست ها

You have the opportunity to visit a foreign country for two weeks. Which country would you like to visit? Use specific reasons and details to explain your choice.

If I be lucky enough to have a chance to visit a foreign country on my own choice, I prefer to go to a European country and between these countries I choose Norway, It is a country that located in north of Europe and it has a very cold and long winters thus it’s better to go there on summer that whether is fair and nice. For me it’s the best country to visit. In the following paragraphs I will give some reasons to support my choice.

First of all, Norway is second tourists destination on summer, which mainly is because of its great landscapes, cool whether, some historic monuments and very civilized and easy-going people.

Second of all, many music bands especially metal bands have been originated from this country, so it would be great if I can go there and take part in some live concerts. It seams that most of Norwegians are good looking, I’ve read somewhere that 90% Norwegians are extremely attractive, and obese people are hardly to find ( I really doubt about it!.).

I do not know much about the culture and history of Norway, but it seams that they had a glorious and golden age when Vikings were ruling but after invading Christians to this country all things changed, so if I go there I can learn more about their history and also I would like to visit some museums and monuments at there.

In conclusion, visiting a foreign country is a golden opportunity to enjoy other culture, people and gain more knowledge and experience and finally learn new costumes and tradition.
    Last edited by SCYTHE; 26-06-2008 at 09:31.

تاريخ عضويت
    Mar 2007
    محل سكونت
    Dream Land
    پست ها

پيش فرض

Thanks dear Scythe

it's so good l

تاريخ عضويت
    Sep 2007
    محل سكونت
    تورنتــو
    پست ها

پيش فرض

Great job you do here, If I find time, I'll take part n write sth
    first let me share what I know about writing then I go thourgh yr writings. Well, as far as I know, for essay writings which you are doing right now, you have to have at least 5 paragraphs, the very 1st one is inturdoctory. 2nd, 3d n the 4th one are our body n the very last one is the concolusion.
    In introductory paragraph you have to follow sime tips, first of all you should try to start it with an impressive n attractive sentence or a question which can catch others' fancy, then you have to define what you are talking about in one or two sentences n then you should go to the main points which you wanna talk about in body paragraphs(as I mentoned, you have to have at least 3 body paragraphs, so you can mention 3 points n if you like to have more than 3 body parag, you can mention more than 3 points, but stick it in yr mind that at least you have to have 3 main points). just mention(dun spell 'em out) them in introductory n then go to yr body paragraphs, n talk about them(3 main points which you've mentioned in the introductory parag) n give some examples. n then you have to sum them up in yr last paragraph which is concolusion. here you may need to reapet what you've written but try not to repeat the exact words n sentences, try to make it somehow different so that you can have a very good writing.
    As I see you've followed some of the tips but that's what I knew about essay writing n I shared it here, it's not complete yet n it might have some problems, I'd be grateful if others would correct me if there is any wrong info n beside add sth to what I've written

8. 2 کاربر از sepid12ir بخاطر این مطلب مفید تشکر کرده اند

تاريخ عضويت
    Sep 2007
    محل سكونت
    تورنتــو
    پست ها

پيش فرض

Some movies are serious, designed to make the audience think. Other movies are designed primarily to amuse and entertain. Which type of movie do you prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer

I think both of them are necessary because everyone has it’s own sense. I personally do not confine myself to watch just some special types of movies, every kind of movies has its own value, sometimes I need to watch a comedy to make me laugh but I usually prefer to watch some kind of movies that make a big effect on me or make me think.

The reason behind my decision is clear, we only live on time and we do not have infinite time to experience everything, therefore we should try to take advantage of every second of our life. I really do not fancy to watch a cheap movie for example some romantic movies that you can guest at the end there will be a marriage, or an action movie that there is a good guy that kill all bad guys.

I like movies based on history, fiction (like Lord of the rings or Perfume) or real stories (like Beautiful mind or clockwork orange). Some of these movies have changed the direction of my life and somehow I owe them!.

In summery, I have respect for every kind of movies, we at different times have different feelings so we need to watch different movies, but I prefer to watch movies to make a big impact on me.
    and about yr writings, I think they're very good, but some small mistakes

If I were in yr shoes I would use "have" hete instead of "make"l

of our life-> of our lives

I do not fancy watching ...( "fancy" comes with "ing")l

For movies, I've usually heard "Romance movies" not "Romantic"l

guest: you meant "guess" hmm?!l

I think here it would be better if you had written: I respect every kind of movies

And if I were you, I would write "which" here instead of "to"l

10. این کاربر از sepid12ir بخاطر این مطلب مفید تشکر کرده است

تاريخ عضويت
    Sep 2007
    محل سكونت
    تورنتــو
    پست ها

پيش فرض

You have the opportunity to visit a foreign country for two weeks. Which country would you like to visit? Use specific reasons and details to explain your choice.

If I be lucky enough to have a chance to visit a foreign country on my own choice, I prefer to go to a European country and between these countries I choose Norway, It is a country that located in north of Europe and it has a very cold and long winters thus it’s better to go there on summer that whether is fair and nice. For me it’s the best country to visit. In the following paragraphs I will give some reasons to support my choice.

First of all, Norway is second tourists destination on summer, which mainly is because of its great landscapes, cool whether, some historic monuments and very civilized and easy-going people.

Second of all, many music bands especially metal bands have been originated from this country, so it would be great if I can go there and take part in some live concerts. It seams that most of Norwegians are good looking, I’ve read somewhere that 90% Norwegians are extremely attractive, and obese people are hardly to find ( I really doubt about it!.).

I do not know much about the culture and history of Norway, but it seams that they had a glorious and golden age when Vikings were ruling but after invading Christians to this country all things changed, so if I go there I can learn more about their history and also I would like to visit some museums and monuments at there.

In conclusion, visiting a foreign country is a golden opportunity to enjoy other culture, people and gain more knowledge and experience and finally learn new costumes and tradition.
    It was my problem for a while, n I still dun know the correct form , but "if I be" can not be correct, you may use "If I wlll be/ am lucky"l

Among these countries( when you are camparing two things you must use "between", more than two, you have to use "among")l

You have some dictation problems, like "seem" n " weather" which you have written "seam" n "whether" instead.l

it would be great, if I could go/-- by the way here you could write in this form as well "it will be great, if I go there", cuz it's sth which may happen in future n it's not imaginary.l

I think "at" should be omitted here
    Last edited by sepid12ir; 27-06-2008 at 14:52.

تاريخ عضويت
    May 2008
    محل سكونت
    formidable paths
    پست ها

Thank you for your kindness, You did a great job for me
    With best wishes
    Last edited by SCYTHE; 27-06-2008 at 17:40.

تاريخ عضويت
    Sep 2007
    محل سكونت
    تورنتــو
    پست ها

پيش فرض

Thank you for your kindness, You did a great job for me

With best wishes
    there is no need to thaaank me, it's the aim of this topic
    anyway, yrwelcome

تاريخ عضويت
    May 2008
    محل سكونت
    formidable paths
    پست ها

پيش فرض

I have some questions:
    1-The subject of essays are usually about to choose between two options, and If I find some benefits in both options and choose one, where (In the Main part or introductory part) and how much should I write about the benefits of the other option?
    2-How many word are needed to write a standard essay for Toefl exam?
    3-Are you sure that I should not use “between” for comparing more than two things? (I have seen this case so many times, for example in the book of “Delta’s Next Generation Toefl Test”)
    Thanks

صفحه 1 از 13 1234511 ... آخرآخر

Thread Information