نمايش نتايج 21 به 30 از 130

نام تاپيک: Writing & Editing & Tips

تاريخ عضويت
    May 2008
    محل سكونت
    formidable paths
    پست ها

پيش فرض

would u mind to address those English Editing forums, it'll be very helpful I think
    There are so many types of these forums on the internet, I put the link of one here, but on one condition that you put your writing before and after editing here.
    It will help the others to improve their writings because they may have same problems.
    کد:
    برای مشاهده محتوا ، لطفا وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید
    If you want your text be edited go to "Editing & Writing Topics"
    Last edited by SCYTHE; 01-07-2008 at 18:13.

تاريخ عضويت
    Sep 2007
    محل سكونت
    تورنتــو
    پست ها

پيش فرض

It can be quite difficult to learn a new language. What do you think are the most difficult aspects of learning a new language? Give reasons and examples to support your response?

Most of the people moaning about how difficult is to learn a new language, some say they have problems in the listening part, some have problems in the speaking part and etc. In my opinion the most difficult parts depend on what language you are studying, but for me in English the most difficult aspects are pronunciation and grammar. In the following, I will mention why these are difficult for me.

Each Language has its own system of sounds and the way of pronouncing changes from one language to the other language. For instance, English students with Farsi as a first language may have a struggle to utter the words like “scythe” or “breathe” and so on, because they do not have the sounds like “th” in their mother tongue. However, by practicing I can improve my pronunciation, but it definitely takes time and for me who study by myself the situation is much harder.

In addition to the phonetics, I need to improve my English grammar. Learning to use appropriate grammar is very important, you must first know to use true structures to make an expression, without using proper grammar your text or talk will be vague. I find some difficulties in learning English grammar, first, in each structure or rule there are some exceptions and unfortunately I can not find a logical relation that help me to distinguish the exceptions, so I just have to memorize these rules and exceptions. Second, I have a very weak memory, I forget things quickly, as a result after a short period I forget the structures that I just memorized them. This will be a complete disaster when I am speaking with someone, I forget some of these rules, thus I have to think and try to remember the rules, no need to mention, this is ridiculous and embarrassing.

In conclusion, learning a new language is a time consuming task, there are so many difficulties in learning it, but for me the most difficult aspects are to learn to use correct structures and utter sounds like a native speaker of English.
    first I again wanna thank you for my writingl
    about yr writing, first of all, as far as I know, for essay writings, it's better to talk generally, cuz in essay writings, you're gonno catch others' fancy n by just using 'I' n expressing yr own ideas you may not be successful in attracting others. that's what I know about essay writingsl
    n about yr writing, I'm not good enough either, but I try to tell you as much as I know
    If I were you, I would write; 'most of the people moan about the difficulties in learning a new language'l

Here who refers to a person and I think you had to write 'and for me who is studying/studies by himself/(on his own)l I'm not sure about this, I just think, I'm waiting for others to correct me if I'm wrong.l
    here, quickly is not wrong but maybe the word 'soon' can be a better choice
    Last edited by sepid12ir; 01-07-2008 at 20:38.

تاريخ عضويت
    May 2008
    محل سكونت
    formidable paths
    پست ها

پيش فرض

For those who want to take the TOEFL/IELTS exam, these are TOEFL speaking topics, write a paragraph about any topic u would like.
    I hope u accompany me.
    1. Who is your best friend? Describe this person and say why he/she is your best friend.

2. What is your favorite place to visit on weekends? Describe it and explain why it is your favorite place to go.

3. What is your happiest childhood memory? Describe it and give reasons to explain why it is your happiest memory.

4. What is your most important possession? Describe it and say why it is so important.

5. Talk about a person in your life who has inspired you. Describe the person and explain why you found him/her inspirational.

6. Where do most like to go to eat out? Describe this place and say why you like it most.

7. Talk about an important national holiday in your home country. Describe it and explain why it is important.

8. What is your favorite book or movie? Describe it and say why it is your favorite.

9. Who do you feel close to in your family (or extended family)? Describe this person and say why you feel close to him/her.

10. Where is a good place to have fun in your city or town? Describe this place and explain why it is fun.

11. Talk about an experience in your life that made you feel embarrassed. Describe it and say why it was embarrassing.

12. What was your favorite subject at school? Describe it and explain why this subject was your favorite one.

13. Who is an important person in your country? Describe this person and explain why he/she is important.

14. Talk about an interesting tourist attraction you have been to. Describe it and say why it was interesting.

15. Talk about a time when you experienced success. Describe the experience and say why it was a success for you.

16. What is your favorite style of clothing? Describe it and explain why it is your favorite.

17. Name a person whom you truly admire. Describe the person and say why you admire him/her.

18. Think of a place that makes you feel relaxed and peaceful. Describe it and explain why it is relaxing and peaceful for you.

19. Talk about a difficulty you have overcome in your life. Describe the experience and say why it was difficult to overcome.

20. What is your most useful study aid? Describe it and explain why it is useful in helping you to study.

21. Talk about a teacher who had a positive influence on you. Describe this person and explain why he/she was so influential to you.

22. Where is your favorite place to study? Describe this place and say why it is a good place for you to study.

23. Talk about a positive experience with learning or using English. Describe the experience and say why it was a positive one.

24. What is your favorite kind of food? Describe it and explain why it is your favorite.

25. Name a famous or influential figure who has inspired you. Describe this person and say why he/she has been inspirational to you.

26. Which place has fond memories for you? Describe this place and explain why it is memorable to you.

27. When have you been happily surprised by something? Describe the experience and say why the surprise was a happy one for you.

28. Describe a resource that helped you to do something better than before. Describe it and explain why it was helpful to you.

29. Describe a person from your country’s history. Why do you think this person was important?

30. Where would you like to go to spend a vacation? Describe this place and say why you would like to holiday there.

31. Talk about something you and your family enjoy doing together. Describe it and explain why you all enjoy it.

32. What is your favorite recreational activity? Describe it and say why you enjoy doing it.

33. Who is the most intelligent person you know? Describe the person and say why you think he/she is intelligent.

34. Where would you most like to live? Describe this place and explain why you would like to live there.

35. What is your favorite season of the year? Describe the season and explain why you like it so much.

36. What custom from your home country are you most fond of? Describe the custom and explain why you are fond of it.

37. Which person are you most likely to go to with a personal problem? Describe this person and say why you would go to him/her in particular.

38. Name a place in your country you would recommend others to visit. Describe this place and explain why you would recommend it.

39. Talk about an event from the past that you would like to relive. Describe the original event and say why you would like to relive it.

40. What is your favorite way of getting around? Describe it and explain why it is your favorite means of transportation

تاريخ عضويت
    May 2008
    محل سكونت
    formidable paths
    پست ها

پيش فرض

What custom from your home country are you most fond of? Describe the custom and explain why you are fond of it.

There are so many nice customs in my country, but I really love one them called "Yalda night". Yalda night is the longest night of the year which is at autumn season. The people celebrate this night by visiting each other and staying awake all or part of night. They usually prepare themselves for this night by buying fruits, nuts, cookies and so on. At this night, people talk about nonbusiness things, older people like grandfathers or grandmothers talk about their memories, share their experiences with youths; younger people talk about their future plans, daily affairs etc. Overall, I remember so many good memories from this special night, in addition, this night gives me an opportunity to visit some of my relatives that maybe during the year I have less chances to visit them.

What is your favorite way of getting around? Describe it and explain why it is your favorite means of transportation

I would like to travel by train, because it has some advantages over other means of transportation like airplane or car and so on. First, I think it’s the safest way of transferring at least in my country, everyday you hear so much bad news about car accidents, and also airplanes are old in Iran and every time there is an imminent danger that one of these planes crashes. Second, I think traveling by the train is fairly cheep in contrast to plane and its travel cost is comparable to travel by car. Third, the most important thing about train is its convenience, you can rest, study while you are traveling. Finally, advanced trains are fast and quiet and environment friendly.

تاريخ عضويت
    Sep 2007
    محل سكونت
    تورنتــو
    پست ها

پيش فرض

What custom from your home country are you most fond of? Describe the custom and explain why you are fond of it.

There are so many nice customs in my country, but I really love one them called "Yalda night". Yalda night is the longest night of the year which is at autumn season. The people celebrate this night by visiting each other and staying awake all or part of night. They usually prepare themselves for this night by buying fruits, nuts, cookies and so on. At this night, people talk about nonbusiness things, older people like grandfathers or grandmothers talk about their memories, share their experiences with youths; younger people talk about their future plans, daily affairs etc. Overall, I remember so many good memories from this special night, in addition, this night gives me an opportunity to visit some of my relatives that maybe during the year I have less chances to visit them.

one them--> one of them

I think for the seasons we use 'in' not 'at'l

about 'the people', I think 'the' should be omidtted

here 'the' should be added before 'night'---> part of the night ( cuz we are talking about a specific night
    which we've mentioned before)l

I've never heard 'at this night' ; I think it's better to say 'during this night' or 'on this night'l

What is your favorite way of getting around? Describe it and explain why it is your favorite means of transportation

I would like to travel by train, because it has some advantages over other means of transportation like airplane or car and so on. First, I think it’s the safest way of transferring at least in my country, everyday you hear so much bad news about car accidents, and also airplanes are old in Iran and every time there is an imminent danger that one of these planes crashes. Second, I think traveling by the train is fairly cheep in contrast to plane and its travel cost is comparable to travel by car. Third, the most important thing about train is its convenience, you can rest, study while you are traveling. Finally, advanced trains are fast and quiet and environment friendly.
    by train; 'the' should be omitted

I think it would be better to write, 'and it has/they have friendly enviroment' or ' the enviroment is friendly there'l

تاريخ عضويت
    May 2008
    محل سكونت
    formidable paths
    پست ها

پيش فرض

Thanks a lot for correcting me, but
    Environment friendly, eco-friendly, and nature friendly are synonyms used to refer to goods and services considered to inflict minimal harm on the environment.
    Source: Wikipedia

تاريخ عضويت
    Sep 2007
    محل سكونت
    تورنتــو
    پست ها

پيش فرض

Thanks a lot for correcting me, but

Source: Wikipedia
    really?! why?!...but I've never heard
    thaaaank you

تاريخ عضويت
    Sep 2007
    محل سكونت
    تورنتــو
    پست ها

پيش فرض

Bahram, the very first day when I read yr writing, this sentence didn't seem correct to me n I searched about it n what I found was that we can use 'much' for 'news' but it is more common in negative form n it's better to write 'so many pieces of bad news'l
    but in negative form, it's okay to say: there isn't much news to ...l
    by the way, I'm not still sure but what I found was thatl
    Last edited by sepid12ir; 15-07-2008 at 16:33.

تاريخ عضويت
    May 2008
    محل سكونت
    formidable paths
    پست ها

پيش فرض

so many pieces of bad news" do not u think it's a little
    too long and boring, I do not think they really use these expressions, but if u search on the internet will realize it's very common to use so much negatively:

کد:

تاريخ عضويت
    Sep 2007
    محل سكونت
    تورنتــو
    پست ها

پيش فرض

so many pieces of bad news" do not u think it's a little

too long and boring, I do not think they really use these expressions, but if u search on the internet will realize it's very common to use so much negatively:

کد:
    yeah, I myself had found the page, n I also said that I'm not sure
    n I searched on the net n I asked s.o n according to what I found I said it
    so much bad news is definitely correct n I just said that it may not be very common but as you say n as you've found it is probably common
    anyway, sorry for thatn take care
    by the way 'a peice of news' is alos common...l

Thread Information