نام تاپيک: Book Café

پروفشنال
    تاريخ عضويت
    Aug 2008
    محل سكونت
    Somewhere I don't belong
    پست ها

پيش فرض

The thorn birds??That sounds awfully familiar.I think i've read the short story version when i was learning english.but it was so long ago i basically can't remember anything about it.

تاريخ عضويت
    Sep 2007
    محل سكونت
    هر آن جا که یاری خوش است
    پست ها

پيش فرض

I am currently reading a book called "Free Will" published by Cambridge Press as a series of very short introduction to philosophy. I like this concept of writing a book which contains say 120-140 pages and you get familiar with different notions of different thinkers from medieval time to modern times very briefly but clearly, plausibly.....By the way, which subjects in philosophy mostly interest you? I for one enjoy reading subjects on metaphysics, ...
    I'm reading almost a similar book .. A history of western Philosophy by Mohammad Ali Foroqi .. it talks about philosophers from pre-socratics philosopher to the modern philosophers
    It's consisted of 3 volumes but new publications has publicated this book in one volume including the translation of Discourse on the method of rightly conducting the reason and seeking truth in the sciences by Rene Descartes
    I'm in the middle of volumeI and my astonishing is the similarity between Plotinos ideas and the persian mystism poets ..
    ethics
    so am I ... I like this part and Plato's dialogues the most
    but I haven't had deep studies in philosophy and I cannot judge about it!
    And Aristotle disourses are just a bit confusing ... I should read the sentences many times to understnad what is he talking about

3. 2 کاربر از Antonio Andolini بخاطر این مطلب مفید تشکر کرده اند

تاريخ عضويت
    Sep 2007
    محل سكونت
    تورنتــو
    پست ها

پيش فرض

I went to the bookstore today to buy some books then I saw the translated version of this book. There was only one left. It was kinda expensive for me so I put it back in and after a while a lady came to me asking whether I bought the book and I said no ... when leaving the bookstore I asked her whether she bought it ot not, she said that she had read different tanslations of it and she wanted to buy that for someone as a present but then she changed her mind. I asked about the story of the book and she said it's a romantic story and there is a movie based on that ... she said the book has been censored so has the movie. She thought I'm a schooler because she advised me not to watch the movie .

I have the original ebook version. Considering that it has over 700 pages, does it worth reading or not?
    (You know I have difficulties reading ebooks that's why I ask this)
    A short summery of that would be nice
    I read the book(the translation) 7 8 yrs ago... a great novel, as a teenager I couldn't put it down n I finished the whole book in a week, it was so long though. the scenes have been described nicely and I could imaging every little part of the book; when I watched its movie I find it so close to my imagination
    one of the best novels I've ever read n also a great movie, if u can't go thru the book, I do recommend u the movie ...

btw, since I'm totally against e-books I dun recommend u to read its e-books

Last edited by sepid12ir; 07-07-2010 at 10:37.

5. 3 کاربر از sepid12ir بخاطر این مطلب مفید تشکر کرده اند

تاريخ عضويت
    Sep 2007
    محل سكونت
    Far away
    پست ها

پيش فرض

I read the book(the translation) 7 8 yrs ago... a great novel, as a teenager I couldn't put it down n I finished the whole book in a week, it was so long though. the scenes have been described nicely and I could imaging every little part of the book; when I watched its movie I find it so close to my imagination
    one of the best novels I've ever read n also a great movie, if u can't go thru the book, I do recommend u the movie ...

btw, since I'm totally against e-books I dun recommend u to read its e-books

Maybe slightly off topic , but may I ask why don't you recommend e-books?

7. این کاربر از Smartie7 بخاطر این مطلب مفید تشکر کرده است

تاريخ عضويت
    Sep 2007
    محل سكونت
    تورنتــو
    پست ها

پيش فرض

Maybe slightly off topic , but may I ask why don't you recommend e-books?
    that's totally a personal taste bcuz when I read sth I like to underline some words or lines. I like having the books; I could never finish an e-book n now I dun even download any but some esp ones
    that's why I prefer books not e-books

9. 3 کاربر از sepid12ir بخاطر این مطلب مفید تشکر کرده اند

تاريخ عضويت
    Sep 2007
    محل سكونت
    تورنتــو
    پست ها

پيش فرض

I am currently reading a book called "Free Will" published by Cambridge Press as a series of very short introduction to philosophy. I like this concept of writing a book which contains say 120-140 pages and you get familiar with different notions of different thinkers from medieval time to modern times very briefly but clearly, plausibly.....By the way, which subjects in philosophy mostly interest you? I for one enjoy reading subjects on metaphysics, ethics
    Philosophy, sometimes I go thru some philosophical books and articles but never been fond of that
    u know wot, philosophy and philosophical books just leave u alone with lots of unanswered question; that makes me mad; there are lots of questions on my mind about God, Universe and metaphysical subjects but through reading philosophical books I just get more confused;
    nothing replaces Literature

that's just a personal point of view
    interesting to know that right now I'm reading a philosophical book by Maurice Maeterlinck
      محتوای مخفی: Book 

خدا و هستی - موریس مترلینگ
    ترجمه ذبیح الله منصوری

11. 3 کاربر از sepid12ir بخاطر این مطلب مفید تشکر کرده اند

تاريخ عضويت
    Sep 2007
    محل سكونت
    هر آن جا که یاری خوش است
    پست ها

پيش فرض

Philosophy, sometimes I go thru some philosophical books and articles but never been fond of that
    u know wot, philosophy and philosophical books just leave u alone with lots of unanswered question; that makes me mad; there are lots of questions on my mind about God, Universe and metaphysical subjects but through reading philosophical books I just get more confused;
    nothing replaces Literature

yes,I think it is usual ... isn't it good? ... I mean to be questioned ... you can understand how much your ideas are true and correct

تاريخ عضويت
    Sep 2007
    محل سكونت
    تورنتــو
    پست ها

پيش فرض

yes,I think it is usual ... isn't it good? ... I mean to be questioned ... you can understand how much your ideas are true and correct
    not really.... bcuz they mostly leave u alone with some questions which u may never find any answer for... they themselves also just offer u questions and have no answer for that ...
    isn't it irritating ?i
    the same is happening to me by readin' this book; full of Qs, but no answer:

n the sad part is that these kinda questions, can never be answered.

14. 2 کاربر از sepid12ir بخاطر این مطلب مفید تشکر کرده اند

تاريخ عضويت
    May 2008
    محل سكونت
    formidable paths
    پست ها

پيش فرض

not really.... bcuz they mostly leave u alone with some questions which u may never find any answer for... they themselves also just offer u questions and have no answer for that ...
    isn't it irritating ?i
    the same is happening to me by readin' this book; full of Qs, but no answer:

n the sad part is that these kinda questions, can never be answered.

I see your point, the state of being uncertain is not pleasant and as you say it's irritating but we should look at things as what they really are not what we want them to be. In fact to be skeptic is the way to challenge dogmatism and it leads us to new perspectives. Inherently most of the questions of philosophy have no definite answers. For example how you can give a general answer to the question of "What are the qualities of a good human being?", the reality of perception must always be questioned because it depends on the characteristics of perceiver, for example when we are talking about "What is the meaning of life?" everyone has his/her own subjective answers. l

16. 3 کاربر از SCYTHE بخاطر این مطلب مفید تشکر کرده اند

تاريخ عضويت
    May 2008
    محل سكونت
    formidable paths
    پست ها

پيش فرض

Currently I am reading about modern physics, concepts about relativity, black hole...It's so fascinating and it holds me in awe, it's a disdain to common sense and logic, full of brain-twisters ideas that open new perspectives to the mind...By the way, if you want to avoid the mathematics perplexities and just take in the basics and results, "Relativity, a very short introduction" by Cambridge press is a very good book

18. این کاربر از SCYTHE بخاطر این مطلب مفید تشکر کرده است

Thread Information