زبانم مو درآورد

تاريخ عضويت
    Aug 2009
    محل سكونت
    تو قلب یه عاشق
    پست ها

پيش فرض Idioms about music

And all that jazz
    This idiom means that everything related or similar is included.

Bells on
    (USA) To be somewhere with bells on means to arrive there happy and delighted to attend.

Blow your own horn
    If you blow your own horn, you boast about your achievements and abilities. ('Blow your own trumpet' is an alternative form.)

Blow your own trumpet
    If someone blows their own trumpet, they boast about their talents and achievements. ('Blow your own horn' is an alternative form.)

Call the tune
    The person who calls the tune makes the important decisions about something.

Change your tune
    If someone changes their ideas or the way they talk about them, they change their tune.

Clear as a bell
    If something is as clear as a bell, it is very clear or easy to understand.

Face the music
    If you have to face the music, you have to accept the negative consequences of something you have done wrong.

Fiddle while Rome burns
    If people are fiddling while Rome burns, they are wasting their time on futile things while problems threaten to destroy them.

Fine tuning
    Small adjustments to improve something or to get it working are called fine tuning.

Fit as a fiddle
    If you are fit as a fiddle, you are in perfect health.

For a song
    If you buy or sell something for a song, it is very cheap.

It takes two to tango
    This idiom is used to suggest that when things go wrong, both sides are involved and neither side is completely innocent.

March to the beat of your own drum
    If people march to the beat of their own drum, they do things the way they want without taking other people into consideration.

Music to my ears
    If something someone says is music to your ears, it is exactly what you had wanted to hear.

Play by ear
    If you play by ear, you deal with something in an impromptu manner, without guidelines or rules. It refers to playing music without using written notation.

Play second fiddle
    If you play second fiddle, you take a subordinate role behind someone more important.

Pull out all the stops
    If you pull out all the stops, you do everything you possibly can to achieve the result you want.

See you on the big drum
    A good night phrase to children.

Strike a chord
    If strikes a chord, it is familiar to you, reminds you of something or is connected to you somehow.

Toot you own horn
    If someone toot their own horn, they like to boast about their achievements.

Whistle for it
    If someone says that you can whistle for something, they are determined to ensure that you don't get it.

Whistle-stop tour
    A whistle-stop tour is when someone visits a number of places quickly, not stopping for long.

Whistling Dixie
    (USA) If someone is whistling Dixie, they talk about things in a more positive way than the reality.

Whistling in the dark
    If someone is whistling in the dark, they believe in a positive result, even though everybody else is sure it will not happen.

You can't unring a bell
    This means that once something has been done, you have to live with the consequences as it can't be undone.

تاريخ عضويت
    Aug 2009
    محل سكونت
    تو قلب یه عاشق
    پست ها

پيش فرض Idioms about Try

move heaven and earth
    to do everything you can to achieve something:

He'll move heaven and earth to get it done on time.
    keep/put your nose to the grindstone INFORMAL
    to work very hard for a long time:
    She kept her nose to the grindstone all year and got the exam results she wanted.
    to be firm and determined in order to get what you want:
    He's a nice guy, but he can play hardball when he needs to.
    make a play for sth/sb
    to try to obtain something, or start a relationship with someone, sometimes by using a plan:
    I wouldn't have made a play for him if I'd known he was married.
    pull out all the stops
    to do everything you can to make something successful:
    They pulled out all the stops for their daughter's wedding.
    push your luck (ALSO push it)
    to try too hard to get a particular result and risk losing what you have achieved:
    She's agreed to look after her on Saturday, but I think I'd be pushing my luck if I asked her to have charge of her the whole weekend.
    put your back into sth

to use a lot of physical effort to try to do something:
    You could dig this plot in an afternoon if you really put your back into it.
    shoot the works US INFORMAL
    to use all your money or make the greatest effort you can:
    I emptied my bank account and shot the works on a trip to Mauritius.
    shoot for the moon US
    to ask for the best or the most you could hope for:You might as well shoot for the moon and ask for a promotion as well as a raise.

give sth your best shot INFORMAL
    to do something as well as you can
    smarten up your act MAINLY UK
    to make more effort:
    Why are you always so late? You'll have to smarten up your act if you want to keep your job.
    square the circle

If you try to square the circle you try to do something which is very difficult or impossible.
    have/make a stab at sth INFORMAL
    to attempt to do something although you are not likely to be very successful:
    I'd never tried snorkelling before but I had a stab at it while I was in Greece.
    strain every nerve
    to make the greatest possible effort:She's straining every nerve to get the work finished on time.
    strain after/for effect
    to try so hard to entertain that it seems false:
    I find his style of writing so artificial - he always seems to be straining for effect.
    stretch a point
    to make a claim which is not completely true, or to do something which goes beyond what is considered to be reasonable:

They claim to be the biggest company in the world, which is stretching a point, but it's true if you include their subsidiaries.
    If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. SAYIN
    Gsaid to encourage someone who has failed at something to try to do it again
    sweat blood (ALSO sweat your guts out) INFORMAL
    to make a great effort:
    We sweated blood to get the work finished on time.I've been sweating blood over this report.
    take the time
    to make the effort to do something:
    She didn't even take the time to wish me good morning.
    fight tooth and nail
    to try very hard to get something you want:
    We fought tooth and nail to get the route of the new road changed.
    try your hand at sth
    to try doing something for the first time:
    I might try my hand at a bit of Indian cookery.
    try your luck
    to try to achieve something although you know you might not succeed:
    He'd always wanted to act and in 1959 came to London to try his luck on the stage.
    do/try your utmost
    to do something as well as you can by making a great effort:
    She did her utmost to finish on time.
    go out of your way

to try very hard to do something, especially for someone else:
    They really went out of their way to make us feel welcome by giving us the best room in the house.
    give it a whirl INFORMAL
    to attempt to do something, often for the first time:
    I've never danced salsa before but I'll give it a whirl.
    for all you are worth INFORMAL
    If you do something for all you are worth, you put a lot of effort into it:
    We pushed the car for all we were worth, but we still couldn't get it started

تاريخ عضويت
    Aug 2009
    محل سكونت
    تو قلب یه عاشق
    پست ها

پيش فرض Medical Dictionary

Medical Dictionary definitions of popular medical terms easily defined on MedTerms.

تاريخ عضويت
    Aug 2009
    محل سكونت
    تو قلب یه عاشق
    پست ها

پيش فرض Definition of A (adenine)

A (adenine): In genetics, A stands for adenine, one member of the A-T (adenine-thymine) base pair in DNA. The other base pair in DNA is G-C (guanine-cytosine).
    Each base pair forms a "rung of the DNA ladder." A DNA nucleotide is made of a molecule of sugar, a molecule of phosphoric acid, and a molecule called a base. The bases are the "letters" that spell out the genetic code. In DNA, the code letters are A, T, G, and C, which stand for the chemicals adenine, thymine, guanine, and cytosine, respectively. In DNA base pairing, adenine always pairs with thymine, and guanine always pairs with cytosine.
    Adenine is also one of the bases in RNA. There it always pairs with uracil (U). The base pairs in RNA are therefore A-U and G-C.

تاريخ عضويت
    Aug 2009
    محل سكونت
    تو قلب یه عاشق
    پست ها

پيش فرض Definition of -A

A-: Prefix very much employed in medicine and all of the health sciences, indicating "not, without, -less" as, for example, in alexia (not read), aphaqia (not eat),aphania (not voice, voiceless).
    The "a-" usually becomes "an-" before a vowel as, for example, in (without blood), anophthalmia (no eye), anotia (no ear), anoxia (no oxygen).
    The prefix "a-" comes from the Greek meaning "not."
    Last edited by Ramana; 26-12-2009 at 11:23.

تاريخ عضويت
    Aug 2009
    محل سكونت
    تو قلب یه عاشق
    پست ها

پيش فرض Definition of Ataxia-telangiectasia

Ataxia-telangiectasia: A progressive neurodegenerative genetic disease characterized by cerebellar ataxia (incoordination and lack of balance), ocular telangiectasia ("red eyes" due to widening of small blood vessels in the conjunctiva), immune defects, and a predisposition to malignancy. Chromosomal breakage is a feature. Ataxia-telangiectasia (A-T) cells are abnormally sensitive to killing by ionizing radiation.

A-T becomes evident in early childhood, usually in the first decade of life. The hallmarks of A-T are lack of balance and slurred speech (due to the ataxia) and telangiectasias (tiny red "spider" veins), which appear in the whites of the eyes or on the surface of the ears and cheeks.

People with A-T are predisposed to leukemia and lymphoma. They are also extremely sensitive to radiation exposure. Most people with A-T have a defective immune system, making them susceptible to recurrent sinus and respiratory infections. Other features of the disease may include diabetes mellitus, premature graying of the hair, difficulty swallowing (which causes choking and drooling), and slowed growth. Children with A-T usually have and maintain normal or above normal intelligence.

There is no cure for A-T and, currently, there is no known therapy to slow the progression of the disease. Treatment is symptomatic and supportive. Physical and occupational therapy may help maintain flexibility. Speech therapy may also be useful. Intravenous immune globulin (IVIG) injections may help supplement the defective immune system. High-dose vitamin regimes have been tried. The prognosis (outlook) for people with A-T is poor. Those with the disease usually die in their teens or early 20s.

A-T is inherited as an autosomal recessive trait with both parents contributing a gene for A-T to the affected child. The gene is on chromosome 11. It is called ATM (which stands for ataxia-telangiectasia mutated). ATM encodes a protein that is predominantly confined to the nucleus of cells and that remains constant throughout all stages of the cell cycle. A disorder called the Nijmegen breakage syndrome (NBS1) is similar to A-T. The ATM and NBS1 genes appear to be in a common signaling pathway that choreographs the cell's responses to genomic damage.

تاريخ عضويت
    Aug 2009
    محل سكونت
    تو قلب یه عاشق
    پست ها

پيش فرض Definition of Acinetobacter

.Acinetobacter: (Pronounced AH-sin-neto-bacter). A group of bacteria found in soil, water, and hospitals where they can cause serious infections in immunocompromised people and are often resistant to antibiotics.

Acinetobacter can be isolated from many sources including drinking and surface water, soil, sewage and different types of foods. At least a quarter of healthy people carry Acinetobacter harmlessly on their skin. But in hospitals some strains, particularly Acinetobacter baumannii, can cause infections including pneumonia and bacteremia (bloodstream infection).

In technical terms, the Acinetobacter genus belongs to the gamma subdivision of Proteobacteria, and to the Moraxellaceae family.

تاريخ عضويت
    Aug 2009
    محل سكونت
    تو قلب یه عاشق
    پست ها

پيش فرض Definition of a.c.

a.c.: Abbreviation on a prescription meaning before meals; from the Latin "ante cibum", before meals. This is one of a number of hallowed abbreviations of Latin terms that have traditionally been used in writing prescriptions.
    Some others:

• b.i.d. = twice a day (from "bis in die", twice a day)
    • gtt. = drops (from "guttae", drops)
    • p.c. = after meals (from "post cibum", after meals)
    • p.o. = by mouth, orally (from "per os", by mouth)
    • p.r.n. = when necessary (from "pro re nata", for an occasion that has arisen, as circumstances require, as needed)
    • q.d. = once a day (from "quaque die", once a day)
    • q.i.d. = four times a day (from "quater in die", 4 times a day)
    • q._h.: If a medicine is to be taken every so-many hours (from "quaque", every and the "h" indicating the number of hours)
    • q.h. = every hour
    • q.2h. = every 2 hours
    • q.3h. = every 3 hours
    • q.4h. = every 4 hours
    • t.i.d. = three times a day (from "ter in die", 3 times a day)
    • ut dict. = as directed (from "ut dictum", as directed)

Thread Information