PDA

نسخه کامل مشاهده نسخه کامل : Book Café

Antonio Andolini
09-07-2008, 14:19
Hi my friends:20:
Here we have a Cafe
in this Topic you talk about the books/Articles you have heard or read and interpret and discuss about them with each other ..... Just like we are sitting around a Table in cafe and we drink a Cofee or tea and talk about them and we share our enjoyment.
Thanks for your attention!

BTW I stole this name from Shahrvand_E_ Emrooz weekly magazine:46:.... this magazine has a part like this

Have FuN

3Dmajid
09-07-2008, 14:39
ok ... So give me cafe to drink and start talk with a nice subject

SCYTHE
09-07-2008, 14:43
Dont u think this topic is too similar to "chat room" thread? eh

3Dmajid
09-07-2008, 14:54
You right. This topic is like chat room

unartig
09-07-2008, 16:31
i agree with this topic coz we need a place to talk about our favourite and new musics,movies, books and etc

3Dmajid
09-07-2008, 16:53
Ok... So start talk please

3Dmajid
09-07-2008, 18:36
I start subject :

Talk about Yahoo messenger !

Whats you'r idea about Yahoo messneger ?

Kill the time or enjoy the time :20:

sweet_mahsa
09-07-2008, 18:55
I start subject :

Talk about Yahoo messenger !

Whats you'r idea about Yahoo messneger ?

Kill the time or enjoy the time :20:

Hi guys
I think it is the best way to kill the time but also it can be good

#XXAVII#
09-07-2008, 19:43
bst way to kill the time but if you use it well ithink it is not like this.

unartig
09-07-2008, 20:22
i have used Yahoo messenger for good purposed and don't accept that it kills time
:20:

Antonio Andolini
09-07-2008, 22:18
We cannot compress everything in Chatroom Topic ... but to avoiding be a topic like chat room I Edited my first post .. we talk about Books and articles .... I think now it becomes better ... yeah?

Have FuN

rosenegarin13
09-07-2008, 22:23
mostly waste of time !
but that depends on the subject that you are chatting about

Antonio Andolini
10-07-2008, 13:27
mostly waste of time !

Nope, I don't think so ... in your opinion talking about books is waste of time? ..that's strange
================================================== ==============

These days I'm reading a book by Stephen Hawking the greatest theorical physicist at this time .. its name is The Universe in a Nutshell

[ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ]

It's about the structure of the univesre with different Theories like General Relativity, Mechanic Quantum and so on ... it's a General book that everybody can understand it and you can read it without any previous knowledge but some parts of it specially quantum becomes very complicated and some parts of it are against our believes and relegions ... for example it has a principle named Heizenberg Uncertainty Principle . in this principle particles can be created from nothing!
and this book got the best scientifical books {Aventis}
I rate it 9.2/10

seymour
11-07-2008, 12:11
very nice book ... love his works ... [ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ] and his fighting spirit

sweet_mahsa
13-07-2008, 15:58
yeah why not?
we talk about Books and articles .... I think now it becomes better ... yeah?
I have a small library
right now I,m reading a book by Jose Saramago.its name is Blindness
In this book suddenly a man became blind and after that all the pepole became blinde
But there is a diffrence their blindness is not dark it is white

sweet_mahsa
13-07-2008, 16:00
Aha I found a summary of this book from a web site I will write it

sweet_mahsa
13-07-2008, 17:45
A city is hit by an epidemic of white blindness which spares no one
Authorities confine the blind to an empty mental hospital but there the criminal element hold everyone captive stealing food ration and assaulting women
There is one eyewitness to this nightmare who guides seven strangers-among them a boy with no mother a girl with dark glasses a dog of tears-through the barren street and the procession become as uncanny as the surrounding are harrowing
A magnificent parable of loss and disorientation and a vivid evocation of the horrors of the twentieth century
Blindness is a powerful portrayal of man,s worst appetites and weaknesses-and man,s ultimately exhilarating spirit

pedram_sad
13-07-2008, 22:48
nice story
it has something to say
i hope u finish reading of this book as soon as possible
cause i'm dying to hear your point of view about this

sweet_mahsa
14-07-2008, 18:54
nice story
it has something to say
i hope u finish reading of this book as soon as possible
cause i'm dying to hear your point of view about this

oh thanks
but i finished it yesterday

snowy_winter
14-07-2008, 22:55
hi dear friends
nice topic...let me join you here since i love reading books:40:
these days i have almost nothing to do and was looking forward to reading some good books but could hardly think of any! now i think i've found one to read!:)l

A city is hit by an epidemic of white blindness which spares no one
Authorities confine the blind to an empty mental hospital but there the criminal element hold everyone captive stealing food ration and assaulting women
There is one eyewitness to this nightmare who guides seven strangers-among them a boy with no mother a girl with dark glasses a dog of tears-through the barren street and the procession become as uncanny as the surrounding are harrowing
A magnificent parable of loss and disorientation and a vivid evocation of the horrors of the twentieth century
Blindness is a powerful portrayal of man,s worst appetites and weaknesses-and man,s ultimately exhilarating spirit

thanks dear mahsa for sharing your idea about this book and also the summary of it:11: i had downloaded this book a long time ago but had never started reading it! now reading the summary i'm planning to start reading it tomorrow:20: it sounds to be a good book..but let me try reading it first!:46:l

sweet_mahsa
16-07-2008, 18:28
hi dear friends
nice topic...let me join you here since i love reading books:40:
these days i have almost nothing to do and was looking forward to reading some good books but could hardly think of any! now i think i've found one to read!:)l

thanks dear mahsa for sharing your idea about this book and also the summary of it:11: i had downloaded this book a long time ago but had never started reading it! now reading the summary i'm planning to start reading it tomorrow:20: it sounds to be a good book..but let me try reading it first!:46:l

I,m so glad that I make you read it
but do not forget after reading it we should discuss it

snowy_winter
16-07-2008, 23:04
[quote=sweet_mahsa;2662820]
I,m so glad that I make you read it
but do not forget after reading it we should discuss it
[/quote

let me thank you again for telling us about this book and making me read it. although i haven't read much of it yet but it seems to be interesting..i've been proceeding slowly and i think it's probably because of the special writing style, no names for the characters, and specially how you've gotta get who's talking by yourself! it was hard to understand at first but i'm getting used to it:20:

sure i'll be here after reading the books, but it seems to be a symbolic story(not "seems", i think it really is!) and i wonder if i can get what the writer really wants to say...i hope i can get his point! and if i can't, will you help me please?:46::11:l

sweet_mahsa
18-07-2008, 22:02
sure i'll be here after reading the books, but it seems to be a symbolic story(not "seems", i think it really is!) and i wonder if i can get what the writer really wants to say...i hope i can get his point! and if i can't, will you help me please?
you know I catch sth from this story but I think the writer was gonna say sth else I dont know exactly what he want to say:41: but one of my friends read it and she told me that this situation is similar to our society I dont think so...wow
so I,m waiting for your opinion

snowy_winter
18-07-2008, 23:41
you know I catch sth from this story but I think the writer was gonna say sth else I dont know exactly what he want to say:41: but one of my friends read it and she told me that this situation is similar to our society I dont think so...wow
so I,m waiting for your opinion

Unfortunately i haven't had time to read the book since the last time i sent a post in this topic:41: just been too busy with problems these days...i hope they'll be solved soon so that i can go back to reading the book with a free relaxed mind:20:

everytime i read a book, i'm worried if i can get what the writer's trying to tell us! sometimes it's easy to get and sometimes it's really hard!:13:
about this book, i haven't read enough of it to start commenting and saying my idea, but referring to what i've read in the beginning of the book, which was written by the translator about the book and its story, i can say your friend is right. this book is about the human in the current century. Saramago, the writer, describes this blindness as "the blindness of our minds".

i doubt if we can post anything in Farsi in this topic; but if we couln, i would have liked to paste those parts here so that you could read them, too. unfortunately i find them difficult to be translated and i'm afraid the translation won't be clear and understandable.. besides, let me confess that now that they're in Farsi i have problem in getting the points, let alone being translated to English!!:31:l

sweet_mahsa
20-07-2008, 18:45
Saramago, the writer, describes this blindness as "the blindness of our minds".
yeah absolutely I,m agree with that
I have some question about this book and right now I can,t ask it.... you should finish it

sweet_mahsa
20-07-2008, 18:53
It seems that in this forum there aren,t lots of people who interested to the books
Am I right or not? please answer why you don,t like books

sweet_mahsa
20-07-2008, 19:01
about 4 years ago I read a book by Paulo Coelho ,Alchemist, It was a nice story but in that time I was aTeener and I didn,t understand it compeletly
but yesterday I start to read it again
I hope you can help me to realize this book
come on everybody who was read it please explain it
thanks

sepid12ir
20-07-2008, 21:04
I was waiting for this topic n I just noticed it
well, great idea...wow, a very vast n huge stuff. books are availible in different feilds n subjects, can we really talk about all of 'em here? it's abit confusing...I dun know what to say right now n what to introduce but I have a suggestion, if you read any good article on net talk about it here as well n put the links too, so that we can have a discussion about what we read as well, hmm?:46:l

snowy_winter
20-07-2008, 23:44
yeah absolutely I,m agree with that
I have some question about this book and right now I can,t ask it.... you should finish it

i really feel ashamed to say i haven't finished the book even now!:43: but i'll make myself read it completely tomorrow! (seems i've gotta force myself!:46:)l

about 4 years ago I read a book by Paulo Coelho ,Alchemist, It was a nice story but in that time I was aTeener and I didn,t understand it compeletly
thanks

once i had borrowed this book from one of my friends but it was exactly during my school term exams and i had to give it back to her so that i could concentrate on my studies! but before giving it back, i read about 90 pages of it. it really needed time to read and think over! but i liked it although i was too young to be able to understand it all. now having a chance i'd like to read it completely. let me search online to see if i can find it for download.
but for now i'd better finish the other book i've been reading before planning to start another one!:46:l

well, great idea...wow, a very vast n huge stuff. books are availible in different feilds n subjects, can we really talk about all of 'em here? it's abit confusing...I dun know what to say right now n what to introduce but I have a suggestion, if you read any good article on net talk about it here as well n put the links too, so that we can have a discussion about what we read as well, hmm?:46:l

dear sepid, nice to see you're joining us here:10: right now we're supposed to be talking about a book named Blindness (kuri) by Jose Saramago. have you read it? if you've read it we'll be glad to know your opinion about it:11:l

Antonio Andolini
21-07-2008, 00:26
thanks

oh great ... I wanted to buy that book but because I'm so lucky when I went to the book store he had run out of that book and I hadn't enough time to go to the book store again but this Wednesday I'll go to shiraz again to both buy it and have a look to other books ..... about the thing that Sepid said ... yea that's good idea .... With articles all of us can say our point view about the thing that I've read

ThX

sweet_mahsa
21-07-2008, 09:25

yeah It will be good
but as dear snowy_winter said we should discuss blindness and after that we can do it
thanks

sweet_mahsa
21-07-2008, 09:32
but for now i'd better finish the other book i've been reading before planning to start another one![ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ]
yes of course plz do it first:31:

sepid12ir
21-07-2008, 14:08
hey, I wanna go to 'book city' today, do you think I can find the book? by the way, is it English or persion? I mean has it been translated to persian:D...I like to read it too:D

seymour
21-07-2008, 14:25
hey, I wanna go to 'book city' today, do you think I can find the book? by the way, is it English or persion? I mean has it been translated to persian:D...I like to read it too:D

yup ... there are three translations of Kuri ... one By Mehdi Ghabraei ... one by Minoo Moshiri ... one by asadollah Amraei ...

Ghabraei is a better translator in my opinion ... after him , go for Amraei ...

snowy_winter
22-07-2008, 00:58
yes of course plz do it first:31:

I've finally read it! I wonder why it took me so long to finish it!:46:
well it was a good book. worth reading but some parts(dialogues) were somehow hard to understand.
well actually i don't know what i should say, could you please start the discussion?:20:l

have you found the book? in case you couldn't find it, i can upload the one i have:20:l

yup ... there are three translations of Kuri ... one By Mehdi Ghabraei ... one by Minoo Moshiri ... one by asadollah Amraei ...

so seems i've read the worst translation!:46: i just downloaded it and didn't have the option to choose among the translators. are the 3 translations too different?l

sweet_mahsa
22-07-2008, 09:59

but my book is translated by Atefe Eslamian
when I bought it the owner of book store told me there isn,t lots of diffuseness in translation
he told me that this book that I have is translated easier than the others I mean it,s more easy to understanding

sweet_mahsa
22-07-2008, 10:02
well actually i don't know what i should say, could you please start the discussion?[ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ]
well well
I have some questions I ask them and I write my opinion then you write your opinion
:46:

sweet_mahsa
22-07-2008, 10:15
first
why that woman (doctor,s wife)didn,t become blind? you know I thing because she was not looking to the world like the others
I mean because she was piteous and patient so the universe let her to see
to help
I think before the blindness became common in the city she saw best things in the world with her eyes
she could think as well as a philosopher
she could find the best solution for the problems

sweet_mahsa
22-07-2008, 15:03
برای مشاهده محتوا ، لطفا وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید
that,s my book

seymour
22-07-2008, 19:02
but my book is translated by Atefe Eslamian
when I bought it the owner of book store told me there isn,t lots of diffuseness in translation
he told me that this book that I have is translated easier than the others I mean it,s more easy to understanding

I dont want to like sound pessimist , but it's obvious that these guys think more about selling their books than giving you the right choice ...

but then again who am I to judge ? ... maybe you have the best one

so seems i've read the worst translation!:46: i just downloaded it and didn't have the option to choose among the translators. are the 3 translations too different?l
[/LEFT]

I don't know if the translations are different or not ... but I know that these 3 translators are different ... each of them has their own touch ...

seems not to be a problem ...

sweet_mahsa
22-07-2008, 19:06
I dont want to like sound pessimist , but it's obvious that the guy think more about selling his books than giving you the right choice ..
maybe
but that guy was read every 4 books
I don,t know

Antonio Andolini
22-07-2008, 19:41
I think the best to judge about a book is reading the original version of a book .. not a translated version and the original versions are usually more obvious ... unfortunately I couldn't find the Alchemist .... I'll pay my final effort next week

sweet_mahsa
22-07-2008, 20:01
but I have the Alchemist even in Persian and in English
you can buy it from a website

I bought some books in this way
And If you couldn,t find this book I thing It,s the best way to buy it from this website

Antonio Andolini
22-07-2008, 23:03
but I have the Alchemist even in Persian and in English
you can buy it from a website

برای مشاهده محتوا ، لطفا وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنیدI bought some books in this way
And If you couldn,t find this book I thing It,s the best way to buy it from this website

ThX but the last time that I bought book online I didn't get a good result ... I prefer to go store and have a look at the book before buy it ....... Because I dun know buy Man_E_ O or The Alchemist

Have FuN

snowy_winter
24-07-2008, 01:07
first
why that woman (doctor,s wife)didn,t become blind? you know I thing because she was not looking to the world like the others
I mean because she was piteous and patient so the universe let her to see
to help
I think before the blindness became common in the city she saw best things in the world with her eyes
she could think as well as a philosopher
she could find the best solution for the problems

well actually i don't really know the reason. but i could only think of some possibilities and just had some guesses. like the doctor's wife being their saver! it was as if the doctor's wife could see instead of all of them, helped all of them, suffered instead of all of them, had pains, saw horrible things which made her wish she was blind too, but none of them stopped her from continuing her way to help others. specially near the end of the story when they all are finally free, we see how patiently she takes the responsibility of all of them and it's as if she shares her eyes with them showing them the way and guiding them and helping them to survive and continue their life, avoiding from becoming like others.

maybe the writer let her see so that she could help the rest and be as kind as she could be.
but i'm not sure of any of these! hard to understand what the writer really meant!

dear seymour, can we know your opinion and comment about this book, too?:11:l

sweet_mahsa
24-07-2008, 10:37
but i'm not sure of any of these! hard to understand what the writer really meant!
yeah really it was hard

dear seymour, can we know your opinion and comment about this book, too?[ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ]
yes plz I like to know his opinion and the others who was read this book

wini pooh
24-07-2008, 12:21
wow
that,s a perfect idea to speak about books
unfortunately I didn,t read that book you,re discussing it

wini pooh
24-07-2008, 12:29
but friends
I read the Alchemist
It was really hard to understanding
when you start to discuss that I will come

sweet_mahsa
24-07-2008, 12:40
but friends
I read the Alchemist
It was really hard to understanding
when you start to discuss that I will come

ok we will wait for you
have fun

snowy_winter
25-07-2008, 01:09
wow
that,s a perfect idea to speak about books
unfortunately I didn,t read that book you,re discussing it

welcome dear wini pooh:11:
if you like to read this book, i've uploaded it here for you:

برای مشاهده محتوا ، لطفا وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنیدyou can read it if you like and we'll be glad to know your opinion, too:20:
good luck
:11:

seymour
25-07-2008, 15:37
dear seymour, can we know your opinion and comment about this book, too?:11:l

actually I read this book long ago ... anyway the eye-blindness in the book is a metaphor for the blindess of hearts and minds ... I agree with you two on " why the women didn't go blind"

sweet_mahsa
29-07-2008, 22:10
look at here
why there isn,t anybody here?what,s up?unfortunately I had some problems but where are the others

sepid12ir
29-07-2008, 23:25
look at here

why there isn,t anybody here?what,s up?unfortunately I had some problems but where are the others

hey dear Mahsa, well, I wanted to take part a couple of days ago but I thought you are reading 'blindness' right now n you are going to talk about it, so I decided to keep silent but just to yr info, last night I finished 'memories of geisha' by 'Arthur Golden', I had watched the movie but the book grabbed my attention more; actually I read the English one, so there are some parts which I have to read again to follow properly
:20:but generally, I liked it

seymour
30-07-2008, 14:47
Dear Mahsa .. I see you you've used a saying by Osho .. have you read about him ? ... what do you think about him ?

sweet_mahsa
31-07-2008, 13:45
Dear Mahsa .. I see you you've used a saying by Osho .. have you read about him ? ... what do you think about him ?

yeah I know him a little
I have 3 books of him
he was an Indian mystic and philosopher

Antonio Andolini
02-08-2008, 10:46
hi
talking about Blindness or The Alchemist?
At last I bought The Alchemist .... I'm reading it and reached to half of it .... I really enjoy it and I've read some psychological books before and now I find out all of that books are in it .... I'll finish it and back and talking about it more because its better to conclude about a book when you finished it,yea?

GOOD LUCK

sweet_mahsa
02-08-2008, 13:08
there is nobody who read the Blindness right now
So we can start The Alchemist if you like

seymour
02-08-2008, 14:40
yeah I know him a little
I have 3 books of him
he was an Indian mystic and philosopher

y
ou know why I asked that ? ... 'cause he's kinda infamous ... check out his biography on neutral sources ... doesn't look like a true guru - doesn't act like one ...

Antonio Andolini
02-08-2008, 23:55
there is nobody who read the Blindness right now
So we can start The Alchemist if you like

ok .... You start first .... I'll finish it till tomorrow

Antonio Andolini
03-08-2008, 17:18
hi
I finished the book .... it had a very good finish and it was a very meaningful story. During reading this book 3 things was sticky in my mind: the story about that beautiful girl at the beginning of the story and the story that the old king described for Santiago and the sentence that The alchemist said:"maybe God created desert to make laugh on the human mouth when he/she sees the trees"
and I saw some Psychological things that I've read about them in Present and Who moved my cheese specially when Santiago sold his sheep.... and when the old man said to him:"I attend to my walking when I'm walking and I attend to my stopping when I'm standing"
and if I wanna give point to this story I'll give 9.5/10
and I feel that is a psychological story rather than a novel!

waiting for your viewpoints

sweet_mahsa
04-08-2008, 09:56
Question
why 9.5 ? what makes you to gave this mark to this book

Antonio Andolini
04-08-2008, 10:54
Question
why 9.5 ? what makes you to gave this mark to this book

I got it 9.5 because it was a little a complicated story and that is not a general story but other parts was great and I think that is the most completed book that I've read and an other beautiful thing that I read in his book was:"Love doesn't stop anyone to receive to his private dream" I feel that is good describing of love

sweet_mahsa
04-08-2008, 21:11
Dear Antonio Andolini
what parts of the book attracted you and made you feel happy

Antonio Andolini
06-08-2008, 01:50
at end of the story where the thief told him he had a same dream like him but he didn't pay attention to it
what about you mahsa?

sweet_mahsa
08-08-2008, 17:05
I like that parts that the boy was thinking about his love
and also when I read the end of story I laughed
after reading it I searched for sign in my life and I could find some of them

Antonio Andolini
11-08-2008, 23:52
I think it's better to introduce the books you have read and talk about it and get a rate to it and say your pointview about it ... because it's hard to find a book that everyone has rad it

sweet_mahsa
24-09-2008, 12:11
Hey guys where are u
you don,t read books anymore

seymour
24-09-2008, 15:52
I've recently finished John Christopher Trilogy : Sword of the Spirits

sweet_mahsa
25-09-2008, 20:34
unfortunately I didn,t read it

sepid12ir
05-11-2008, 15:42
Recently I read a very impressive short story by Anthon Chekhov; I'd like to share it with u guys
read it n in case u liked it we can have a descussion 'bout it

"To whom shall I tell my grief?"

The twilight of evening. Big flakes of wet snow are whirling lazily about the street lamps, which have just been lighted, and lying in a thin soft layer on roofs, horses' backs, shoulders, caps. Iona Potapov, the sledge-driver, is all white like a ghost. He sits on the box without stirring, bent as double as the living body can be bent. If a regular snowdrift fell on him it seems as though even then he would not think it necessary to shake it off.... His little mare is white and motionless too. Her stillness, the angularity of her lines, and the stick-like straightness of her legs make her look like a halfpenny gingerbread horse. She is probably lost in thought. Anyone who has been torn away from the plough, from the familiar gray landscapes, and cast into this slough, full of monstrous lights, of unceasing uproar and hurrying people, is bound to think.
It is a long time since Iona and his nag have budged. They came out of the yard before dinnertime and not a single fare yet. But now the shades of evening are falling on the town. The pale light of the street lamps changes to a vivid color, and the bustle of the street grows noisier.
"Sledge to Vyborgskaya!" Iona hears. "Sledge!"
Iona starts, and through his snow-plastered eyelashes sees an officer in a military overcoat with a hood over his head.
"To Vyborgskaya," repeats the officer. "Are you asleep? To Vyborgskaya!"
In token of assent Iona gives a tug at the reins which sends cakes of snow flying from the horse's back and shoulders. The officer gets into the sledge. The sledge-driver clicks to the horse, cranes his neck like a swan, rises in his seat, and more from habit than necessity brandishes his whip. The mare cranes her neck, too, crooks her stick-like legs, and hesitatingly sets off....
"Where are you shoving, you devil?" Iona immediately hears shouts from the dark mass shifting to and fro before him. "Where the devil are you going? Keep to the r-right!"
"You don't know how to drive! Keep to the right," says the officer angrily.
A coachman driving a carriage swears at him; a pedestrian crossing the road and brushing the horse's nose with his shoulder looks at him angrily and shakes the snow off his sleeve. Iona fidgets on the box as though he were sitting on thorns, jerks his elbows, and turns his eyes about like one possessed as though he did not know where he was or why he was there.
"What rascals they all are!" says the officer jocosely. "They are simply doing their best to run up against you or fall under the horse's feet. They must be doing it on purpose."
Iona looks as his fare and moves his lips.... Apparently he means to say something, but nothing comes but a sniff.
"What?" inquires the officer.
Iona gives a wry smile, and straining his throat, brings out huskily: "My son... er... my son died this week, sir."
"H'm! What did he die of?"
Iona turns his whole body round to his fare, and says:
"Who can tell! It must have been from fever.... He lay three days in the hospital and then he died.... God's will."
"Turn round, you devil!" comes out of the darkness. "Have you gone cracked, you old dog? Look where you are going!"
"Drive on! drive on!... " says the officer. "We shan't get there till to-morrow going on like this. Hurry up!"
The sledge-driver cranes his neck again, rises in his seat, and with heavy grace swings his whip. Several times he looks round at the officer, but the latter keeps his eyes shut and is apparently disinclined to listen. Putting his fare down at Vyborgskaya, Iona stops by a restaurant, and again sits huddled up on the box.... Again the wet snow paints him and his horse white. One hour passes, and then another....
Three young men, two tall and thin, one short and hunchbacked, come up, railing at each other and loudly stamping on the pavement with their goloshes.
"Cabby, to the Police Bridge!" the hunchback cries in a cracked voice. "The three of us,... twenty kopecks!"
Iona tugs at the reins and clicks to his horse. Twenty kopecks is not a fair price, but he has no thoughts for that. Whether it is a rouble or whether it is five kopecks does not matter to him now so long as he has a fare.... The three young men, shoving each other and using bad language, go up to the sledge, and all three try to sit down at once. The question remains to be settled: Which are to sit down and which one is to stand? After a long altercation, ill-temper, and abuse, they come to the conclusion that the hunchback must stand because he is the shortest.
"Well, drive on," says the hunchback in his cracked voice, settling himself and breathing down Iona's neck. "Cut along! What a cap you've got, my friend! You wouldn't find a worse one in all Petersburg.... "
"He-he!... he-he!... " laughs Iona. "It's nothing to boast of!"
"Well, then, nothing to boast of, drive on! Are you going to drive like this all the way? Eh? Shall I give you one in the neck?"
"My head aches," says one of the tall ones. "At the Dukmasovs' yesterday Vaska and I drank four bottles of brandy between us."
"I can't make out why you talk such stuff," says the other tall one angrily. "You lie like a brute."
"Strike me dead, it's the truth!... "
"It's about as true as that a louse coughs."
"He-he!" grins Iona. "Me-er-ry gentlemen!"
"Tfoo! the devil take you!" cries the hunchback indignantly. "Will you get on, you old plague, or won't you? Is that the way to drive? Give her one with the whip. Hang it all, give it her well."
Iona feels behind his back the jolting person and quivering voice of the hunchback. He hears abuse addressed to him, he sees people, and the feeling of loneliness begins little by little to be less heavy on his heart. The hunchback swears at him, till he chokes over some elaborately whimsical string of epithets and is overpowered by his cough. His tall companions begin talking of a certain Nadyezhda Petrovna. Iona looks round at them. Waiting till there is a brief pause, he looks round once more and says:
"This week... er. . . my. . . er. . . son died!"
"We shall all die,... " says the hunchback with a sigh, wiping his lips after coughing. "Come, drive on! drive on! My friends, I simply cannot stand crawling like this! When will he get us there?"
"Well, you give him a little encouragement... one in the neck!"
"Do you hear, you old plague? I'll make you smart. If one stands on ceremony with fellows like you one may as well walk. Do you hear, you old dragon? Or don't you care a hang what we say? "
And Iona hears rather than feels a slap on the back of his neck.
"He-he!... " he laughs. "Merry gentlemen... . God give you health!"
"Cabman, are you married?" asks one of the tall ones.
"I? He he! Me-er-ry gentlemen. The only wife for me now is the damp earth.... . He-ho-ho!. . . .The grave that is!... Here my son's dead and I am alive.... It's a strange thing, death has come in at the wrong door.... . Instead of coming for me it went for my son.... "
And Iona turns round to tell them how his son died, but at that point the hunchback gives a faint sigh and announces that, thank God! they have arrived at last. After taking his twenty kopecks, Iona gazes for a long while after the revelers, who disappear into a dark entry. Again he is alone and again there is silence for him.... The misery which has been for a brief space eased comes back again and tears his heart more cruelly than ever. With a look of anxiety and suffering Iona's eyes stray restlessly among the crowds moving to and fro on both sides of the street: can he not find among those thousands someone who will listen to him? But the crowds flit by heedless of him and his misery.... His misery is immense, beyond all bounds. If Iona's heart were to burst and his misery to flow out, it would flood the whole world, it seems, but yet it is not seen. It has found a hiding-place in such an insignificant shell that one would not have found it with a candle by daylight....
Iona sees a house-porter with a parcel and makes up his mind to address him.
"What time will it be, friend?" he asks.
"Going on for ten.... Why have you stopped here? Drive on!"
Iona drives a few paces away, bends himself double, and gives himself up to his misery. He feels it is no good to appeal to people. But before five minutes have passed he draws himself up, shakes his head as though he feels a sharp pain, and tugs at the reins.... He can bear it no longer.
"Back to the yard!" he thinks. "To the yard!"
And his little mare, as though she knew his thoughts, falls to trotting. An hour and a half later Iona is sitting by a big dirty stove. On the stove, on the floor, and on the benches are people snoring. The air is full of smells and stuffiness. Iona looks at the sleeping figures, scratches himself, and regrets that he has come home so early....
"I have not earned enough to pay for the oats, even," he thinks. "That's why I am so miserable. A man who knows how to do his work,... who has had enough to eat, and whose horse has had enough to eat, is always at ease.... "
In one of the corners a young cabman gets up, clears his throat sleepily, and makes for the water-bucket.
"Want a drink?" Iona asks him.
"Seems so."
"May it do you good.... But my son is dead, mate.... Do you hear? This week in the hospital.... It's a queer business.... "
Iona looks to see the effect produced by his words, but he sees nothing. The young man has covered his head over and is already asleep. The old man sighs and scratches himself.... Just as the young man had been thirsty for water, he thirsts for speech. His son will soon have been dead a week, and he has not really talked to anybody yet... . He wants to talk of it properly, with deliberation.... He wants to tell how his son was taken ill, how he suffered, what he said before he died, how he died.... He wants to describe the funeral, and how he went to the hospital to get his son's clothes. He still has his daughter Anisya in the country.... And he wants to talk about her too.... Yes, he has plenty to talk about now. His listener ought to sigh and exclaim and lament.... It would be even better to talk to women. Though they are silly creatures, they blubber at the first word.
"Let's go out and have a look at the mare," Iona thinks. "There is always time for sleep.... You'll have sleep enough, no fear.... "
He puts on his coat and goes into the stables where his mare is standing. He thinks about oats, about hay, about the weather.... He cannot think about his son when he is alone.... To talk about him with someone is possible, but to think of him and picture him is insufferable anguish....
"Are you munching?" Iona asks his mare, seeing her shining eyes. "There, munch away, munch away.... Since we have not earned enough for oats, we will eat hay.... Yes,... I have grown too old to drive.... My son ought to be driving, not I.... He was a real cabman.... He ought to have lived.... "
Iona is silent for a while, and then he goes on:
"That's how it is, old girl.... Kuzma Ionitch is gone.... He said good-by to me.... He went and died for no reason.... Now, suppose you had a little colt, and you were own mother to that little colt.... And all at once that same little colt went and died.... You'd be sorry, wouldn't you?... "
The little mare munches, listens, and breathes on her master's hands. Iona is carried away and tells her all about it.

Antonio Andolini
06-11-2008, 18:24
thanks sepid that was a pretty good story{but that was a bit hard} .... tell your idea about it ... why you felt it's impressive?

Antonio Andolini
09-11-2008, 19:05

I finished a famous book by Gabriel Garcia Marquez by name Cien anos de soledad(One Hundred Years of Solitude)
That was a very good book
the story was about a big family by name Boendia who lived in a city named Mocondo ... the city and civilizations were very happy and everything were good .. without police without religion but as politic came to the city, peace left Mocondo
the story was a bit long and there are a lot of people in the story with almost same names .. but among them Orelianos and Arkadeos were opposite of each other ... with a exception that a day Arkadeo Segondo saw a execution and he became an oreliano and Orelinao Segondo saw a beautiful girl and became Arkadeo
during reading this story two things became sticky in my mind .. the thing that Jose Arkadeo Boendia {The father of the family} said before his death , Everything is same every day so why today is monday and tomorrow is tuesday?
and the dialouge between Oreliano Boendia and Grinledo Marquez:
My old Friend, why you involved your-self with the war?"said Oreliano
"what reason can it have?.. for The Liberal"said Gerinledo
-good,you know the reason of your fighting .. but,I've recently understood I fight for pride and that makes me upset
-That's too bad
Orliano became surprised because of Grerinledo's reply and said :"but that's better than don't know why we fight! .. or like you, fighting for something that's meaningless to the people"
I enjoyed this book
My rate: 10/10

sepid12ir
10-11-2008, 14:46
thanks sepid that was a pretty good story{but that was a bit hard} .... tell your idea about it ... why you felt it's impressive?

ya, that is a bit hard
Anyway, it was impressive in my idea bcuz it was saying that nowadays people dun care who you are, dun care what yr problem is n they just n just care about themselves. Humanbeing has forgotten the word Sympathy. We all need someone to share our ideas with, to share our problems with but the man in the story had nobody to talk with n at last it was his horse who listened to him and sympathied with him!!!l
Isn't it impressive? Who are we?! really...l

Antonio Andolini
25-11-2008, 15:32
The Holographic Universe
By Michael Talbot
Translated by Darioush Mehrjoee

It was a book which described the universe in the aspect of unusual and metaphysical events based on some scientific phenomenon
In this book you see some stories about unusual events and author wanted to say the best model to describe and explain these events is Holograph ... which means these phenomenons are because of our mind and the structure of our mind is similar to a Holograph too
It wasn't a bad book but it wasn't as good as I expected because it didn't investigate structure of Holograph universe deeply ...... and I expected that the author would investigate the holograph univrse in aspect of Cosmology too .... and the other bad thing was some boring stories ... the book has a lot of unusual stories about traveling in time or see our near friends that were dead and some old miracles
But the good points were about investigation about NDE{Near-Death exprience} and some researches about how to travel to other worlds and it has some interesting things about this ..
In the first Chapter author talked abour holograoh in aspect of science and it was interesting and I rate to this chapter 9/10 and in the Chapter 2 it talks about stories and also psychology .. Stories were boring but the part about psychology was so interesting especially when the author talked about chinese skill in healing sick(TEBBE SOZANI} and I rate to this chapter 7/10 ...and in the Chapter 3 the author talked about how to describe the universe as a hologram and it was interesting too and I rate it 8.5/10
I rate to this book 7.5/10 {Good}
The book had plenty of quotes so it confused me a little
and the most interesting thing I got from this was that people who could see some part of the other world were from different part of world with different ideas and cultures .. but majority of them was Indians{Budda} ... and they saw same thing!!!!

ThX

hosseinfsf
19-12-2008, 21:04
perety goooOd

sepid12ir
20-12-2008, 14:45
'the kite' by 'somerset Maugham
I read this hsort story a few days ago...wow

a very simple story but had a lot to say
the story is about a boy(Herbet) who got used to flying kites at the age of 7 n each yr his parents(esp his mom) used to give him a bigger kite on his birthday n the son was brought up in a very special way n since he was the only child he was sorta spoiled since his parents used to pay attention to him a lot n his mom could never imagine him getting married but at the age of 21 for the first time Herbet stood in front of his mom since he had fallen in love while this was not acceptable by his mom but he insisted n married but after a while Herbet who was now forbidden of playing in kites could not resist anymore and despite his wife disapprovemnet he again joined his parents in order to be able to play kite and.....l
---
that was a very nice short story n in case you are interested in you can download the first 20 pages of that in pdf file here(it's about 27 pages n I couldn't find any other free download link for that n you may fancy downloading just the very frst 20 pages so here you are: ... l

sepid12ir
04-01-2009, 15:32
I really feel bad, seeing this topic down:41:, it doesn't mean that u guys dun read book?hmm:41:...read a bit plz...woterev you fancy just read:5:l
well, I just finished a book named 'the chamber', the story was about a man named Sam who was sentenced to death for planting bombs in Kramer which killed two children...Sam was not found Guilty first but after a couple of yrs when all the judges had been changed, he found guilty and he was about to death by Gas Chamber; Adam who was sam's grandson n who had recently known Sam as his grandpa came to his help n ...l

Although I'm mostly fond of Romance stories this one was great
I liked it when Sam felt sorry for whatever he had done
I liked it when a priest comes and says that death penalty is not what Jesus has said, it is forgiveness that he tought us
I liked the end of the story, it somehow remembered me the movie 'Dancer in the dark'...
read it if you had free time
I can't claim that was a fabulous story since I have not read crime stories so much so I can't be a good judge but I liked the words
----
The story is written by John Grisham, the movie has also been made
here is the imdb link:

برای مشاهده محتوا ، لطفا وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید----
by the way, I have no idea whether the Presian translated version of the book can be found, since I read the english one

seymour
04-01-2009, 20:16
right now I'm reading Beedle The Bard (ok... ok ... don't laugh!)... it's a spinoff of Harry Potter series

the book is a collection of a few short stories .. nice /but nothing special ...

Antonio Andolini
14-07-2009, 00:38
Oh my god
a lot of dusts is dancing here . i'm gonna clean them because the News says that a new huge community of dusts is coming tomorrow . you should help me clean them ...Because I should go and do my homework (.. I don't know why when the conversation is about cleaning home and these kinds of matters I remember I should do my homework:31:)
I've recently finished one half of persian literature's masterpiece Mantegh Alteyr
I cannot speak about it or better to say I don't see myself in the place that I say whether that was good or not!
that was a very beautiful story about a group of birds who are looking for their lord Simorgh and during the trip many of them brings excuse to abandon the other birds but one of the bird who is the true lover(Kabk) brings shame for them by the beautiful love stories which he/she tells for them and says that in this trip to your lord you should abandon everything and accept the hardships of the trip
the main idea of the book is the story which kabk tells for them
here is some of their best in my point of view

گفت کاین هردو جهان بالا و پست
قطره ای آب است نه نیست و نه هست

گشت از اول قطره ای آب آشکار
قطره ای آب است با چندین نگار

هر نگاری کان بود بر روی آّب
گر همه ز آهن بود گردد خراب

هیچ چیزی نیست ز آهن سخت تر
هم بنابر آب دارد، در نگر

هرچه را بنیاد بر آبی بود
گر همه آتش بود،خوابی بود

کس ندیده است آب هرگز پایدار
کی بود بر آب،بنیاد استوار؟

یافت مردی گورکن عمری دراز
سایلی گفتش که چیزی گوی باز

تا چو عمری گور کندی در مغاک
چه عجایب دیده ای در زیر خاک؟

گور کن گفت: زین عجیب تر ندیدم که هفتاد سال گور کندم و هر دم مرگ کسان دیدم، لیکن یکدم از فرمان نفس سرنپیچیدم و جز فرمان او نبردم
I hope Archi will forgive me for writing Farsi .. Becasue I found the translation of these poets too hard

Thanks
:11:

seymour
14-07-2009, 14:34
I've recently finished one half of persian literature's masterpiece Mantegh Alteyr
I cannot speak about it or better to ...

impossible coincidence[ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ] ... I was reading the the 6th volume of "Ghessehay-e Khoob baray-e Bachehay-e Khoob" which is based on Attar works too... (actually some of them from the same book you're reading)

I was motivated by the death of its author, Mehdi AzarYazdi
Rest in peace[ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ]

Antonio Andolini
14-07-2009, 23:02
impossible coincidence[ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ] ... I was reading the the 6th volume of "Ghessehay-e Khoob baray-e Bachehay-e Khoob" which is based on Attar works too... (actually some of them from the same book you're reading)

I was motivated by the death of its author, Mehdi AzarYazdi
Rest in peace[ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ]

my pleasure
yea I remember I've read some parts of this book when I was in guidance school .. I think it was the 7th volume ... but I did not understand it properly because those times I was a young book reader and I used to read some parts of every book I could see:31: .. (whether it was about The Jungle Jack or the structure of black holes!)
but I remember I did impressed by Hoshang Fathy's "Pahlavanan" .. that was very beautiful

But I think that someday I should read my childhood's books again .. because they have some good and simple lessons that we forget during our life

Thanks for remembering that beautiful book:11:

seymour
15-07-2009, 14:34
But I think that someday I should read my childhood's books again .. because they have some good and simple lessons that we forget during our life

I'm always in that mood and every time I go to buy books , I'll come back with at least one of those books from the old times [ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ] ...

like yesterday ... I bought these .... anyone remember them? (should I say: old enough to remember them[ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ] ... well , no need to be "that" old)

Antonio Andolini
31-08-2009, 01:57
Hi

I remember some months ago I borrowed a book from my school's library which was very very beautiful and maybe that's among my top3 books I've seen

Tales from shakespeare by Charles and Mary lamb
It was a very nice,little,short,and general comprehensible book which was consisted of simplified editions of Shakespeare stories
In the preface of the book the author states that the book is written for kids&teenagers in order to being familiar with shakespeare poems but I think that the book is also very useful to older guys and because it is small and nice you can have it while you are in traffic jam or subway or some minutes before you wanna go to sleep and I used to read it before going to bed and it was very nice
All the stories was very nice ... among the stories I liked The Tempest the most which was very beautiful and meaningful .. especially the torment that Prospero gives to Antionio(his brother) and his son for accepting apologize and getting married to his daughter Miranda .. all part of the story was beautiful and I cannot say where the peak of the story was
and Midsummer night's dream and Much ado about nothing can have the 2nd and 3rd places:31:
other Shakespear's famous stroies can be found in the book such as Macbeth,Merchant of Venice and so on
anyway whether you are a book enthusiasm or not I do recommend this book
Rate: feel ashaemd to restrict such a nice book into numbers!

BTW-You can see the electronic version of the book here .. but it's not the exact book I read and it has some more stories

برای مشاهده محتوا ، لطفا وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنیدand here the audio book:

Antonio Andolini
14-01-2010, 21:51
Rebecca
By Daphne du Maurier
One of the most fascinating and unpredictable crime stories that I've read!
it was so beautiful .. ... the end of story was so astonishing .. I do recommend it
But unfortunately I couldn't find the original version of this book and I read the retold version of the book by Margaret Tarner ...
and I think a movie has been made upon this story and I've became so eager to watch it
I rate this book 8.5/10
//////
I also finished Manteq al-teyr some nights ago ... and I really don't have anything special to share since every single story of this mine of morality is more beautiful than the other one ... specially Phoenix:bird of fire and the end of book where Hud Hud describe the road to their Lord into seven fields:
طلب،عشق،معرفت،استغنا،توحی د،حیرت،فقر وفنا

seymour
14-01-2010, 23:43
I'm reading the Twilight (book 1) .right know[ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ] .. well actually I'm listening to its Audio-book ... half an hour every night before goin' to sleep!!

it's a good read ... specially in the Post-Harry Potter(!) era[ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ] ... but I feel kinda old readin' it ... should I feel like that?[ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ] I mean: hey! I'm just 26,[ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ] it should be OK for me to enjoy a novel mainly targeted toward tweens and young adults; right?

check here ([ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ])for a quite similar situation

Rebecca
By Daphne du Maurier

and I think a movie has been made upon this story and I've became so eager to watch it

the movie version is great .. definitely check it

A r c h i
15-01-2010, 11:08
I'm reading the Twilight (book 1) .right know[ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ] .. well actually I'm listening to its Audio-book ... half an hour every night before goin' to sleep!!

it's a good read ... specially in the Post-Harry Potter(!) era[ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ] ... but I feel kinda old readin' it ... should I feel like that?[ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ] I mean: hey! I'm just 26,[ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ] it should be OK for me to enjoy a novel mainly targeted toward tweens and young adults; right?

Hi
I watched the movie it is so great..but I'm not into reading sci-fic..and also don't like harry-potter, so enjoy what you read don't ever think about your age...Your age is exactly what you feel it is.

(But I went to a dermatologist yesterday and he told me from the age of 25, you should use this and that..so I'm kind of feeling that I'm getting old...:2:)l

by the way, you made me think of reading novels in English..I've never done that..thx :46:l

Antonio Andolini
15-01-2010, 18:19
half an hour every night before goin' to sleep!!great work ... I always love it!:20:

but I feel kinda old readin' it ... should I feel like that?[ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ] I mean: hey! I'm just 26,[ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ] it should be OK for me to enjoy a novel mainly targeted toward tweens and young adults; right?

as Archi said, your age is what you feel .... but a question came into my mind .... what does feeling old mean?

Antonio Andolini
28-01-2010, 12:15
Blindness
By Jose Saramago
before everything,I wanna recommend you not buying the translated version of this book that I have .. Translated by Atefe Islamian.. I haven't read the other translated versions but I didn't like this translation .
hmmm .. well I don't have anything special to express but the idea of story was so good and creative ... everybody is blind except one person! .. but it wasn't as much beautiful as I've heard about it. the matter that made me a bit bored is the parts that the writer prefer to express the situation by himself. I believe a good story is a story that the writer lets readers look at the story by themselves ... for example I haven't seen any movie that the director expresses his ideas in the middle of movie! he/she just put some signs for the audience to understand the movie better
you can also see many characters in this book,and find different kinds of reactions,disadvantages and advantages,.. of being blinded which were very interesting!
Altogether, it was a worth reading book and it's a bit hard to put it aside while you are reading it!can be recommended! .. I rate it 16/20

Smartie7
28-01-2010, 14:30

Hey, I'm reading Twilight as well. I finished the first book now I'm reading the 5th book! -(The midnight sun). Since Edward tells the story, it is more amazing. I couldn't download the audio books they are so heavy
:37:

I have read the translated versions of harry potter book series
J.K Rowling seems very talented that she wrote such an amazing story
There are so many characters in the book. What a mind she has

seymour
28-01-2010, 21:18
Hey, I'm reading Twilight as well. I finished the first book now I'm reading the 5th book! -(The midnight sun). Since Edward tells the story, it is more amazing. I couldn't download the audio books they are so heavy
:37:

good point .. I don't exactly like the POV (first person point of view) of the book...

I have read the translated versions of harry potter book series
J.K Rowling seems very talented that she wrote such an amazing story
There are so many characters in the book. What a mind she has

I've read the original books and listened to the Ebooks and I agree with you .. JK writes better.. specially I like her witty dialogues .. something Twilight seriously lacks.. instead we're stuck with description of the heavenly beauty of Edward for the thousandth time!![ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ]

* my favorite character is Alice.

Smartie7
28-01-2010, 21:58
good point .. I don't exactly like the POV (first person point of view) of the book...

I've read the original books and listened to the Ebooks and I agree with you .. JK writes better.. specially I like her witty dialogues .. something Twilight seriously lacks...

Definitely! JK is ten times better than Stephanie (IMO)

instead we're stuck with description of the heavenly beauty of Edward for the thousandth time!![ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ]

Now you mentioned it !

* my favorite character is Alice

Yeah, Alice is nice

Antonio Andolini
04-03-2010, 12:25
Symposium
Plato
It's hard to say the best book but I can say it was the most impressive book that I've read ... the main theme of this book is a symposium(I dun think party can be a good definition :13:)between Socrates,Agathon and some other famous Greek artists,philosophers and writers that they are describing love by their own words ...
all of the definitions were beautiful but as always in Plato's books,Socrates' definition is sth else ..
here is the two parts that quaked me the most!

(آگاتون):ای سقراط بیا در کنار من بنشین ،شاید که من هم بر اثر مجاورت با تو از آن خلسه ی خوبی که در آن لحظات خلوت حاصل کرده و به ارمغان آورده ای بهره مند گردم، زیرا بدون شک اندیشه ی ناب و علمی جدید بدست آورده ای و آن چه را به دنبالش گشته ای به دست آورده ای،وگرنه به این زودی ممکن نبود که دست از تفکر برداری
سقراط:چه خوب بود اگر حکمت همانند آب می بود که چون از یک ظرف لبریز گردد بتواند به ظرف خالی دیگری ریخته شود تا هردو به اندازه ی یکدیگر از هم بهره مند شوند.در این صورت،من خود را به تاثیر مجالست با تو،از نیکبخت ترین خلایق می شمردم.زیرا تو با لبریزی علم و حکمت خودت،ظرف خالی مرا سرشار می ساختی.چه حکمت من چیزی پیچیده،مبهم،نامفهوم و به خیال نزدیک تر است تا حقیقت.ولی حکمت تو دارای تابشی فروزنده و پاینده است که با فضل و ادب از وجودت تراویده،و با اینکه هنوز جوانی،بر پیران سبقت گرفته یی.چه در همین دو روز پیش،همراه با نشاط جوانی ات-در جشن سی هزار نفر از یونانیان-بس جلوه فروخت.
and this part of Socrates' definition about love: .. Socrates describe his definition by a story that he has heard from Diotima-an illiterate old woman- and after that he asks too many question and she answer them excellently!
عشق از پدر و مادر خود به ارث می برد.میراث او از مادر این است که همیشه تهیدست بماند و از لطافت و زیبایی هم بی نصیب باشد.و این درست برخلاف آن چیزی است که بسیاری می پندارند.او نیز خشن است و رنگ پریده،نه کفش به پا دارد و نه برای آرمیدن مسکن و ماوایی.بر روی زمین عریان زیر آسمان می خوابد.گاه در کوی و برزن و یا در رواق خانه ها شب را به روز می آورد و همانند مادرش بی نوا و تهیدست است
اما از طرف دیگر همانند پدرش شکارگر زبردستی است که با کمال دلیری و نشاط در جست و جوی خوبی و زیبایی است،هر لحظه چاره تازه یی می اندیشد و هر روز از راه دیگری وارد میشود و لحظه یی از جستجوی دانش و معرفت باز نمی ایستد ،در عین حال جادوگری زبردست و حیکه گر است.
نه به خدایان شباهتی دارد و نه به آدمیان.بلکه عینا چون پدرش می ماند که اگر در یک روز تیرش به هدف بخورد شادی و شعفی بی پایان پیدا می کند و شکفته می شود و گاهی هم پژمرده می گردد و دوباره سرزنده می گردد هرچه به دست آورد زود از دست می دهد،به طوری که عشق همیشه نه تهیدست است و نه توانگر و در دانایی و توانایی نیز وضع به همین گونه است.یعنی بین این دو قرار دارد.
the books is not very heavy(about140pages) but too heavy in purpose of meaning that it is hard to go from one page to the next page so quickly!
despite the Socrates' definition,I liked Eryximachus' views about love that he believed love is creating harmony among everything,both good things and bad things .His main belief was that everything is good and the problem is where we should use them!
The version of this book that I read is translated By Mohammad Ali Foroghi and The editor,Mehdi Vafaee, has put good information about some Greek expressions by comparing this translation with the English and Greek versions of the book
I do recommend you to read it!

seymour
04-03-2010, 19:37
I've finished Twilight (I preferred the movie - this one was so talkative!) .. and now I'm reading this:

Stories Hollywood Never Tells by Howard Zinn

very nice book ... it talks about possible motivations and intentions of Hollywood (and Western culture as a whole) in preferring some issues to others (probably more important ones) .. I know it sounds abstract and boring .. but actually it's fun!

Symposium
Plato
It's hard to say the best book but I can say it was the most impressive book that I've read ... the main theme of this book is a symposium(I dun think party can be a good definition :13:)between Socrates,Agathon

it's a very good book .. I've read it many years ago, but still check it out time to time...

SCYTHE
12-03-2010, 20:21
The best book I have come across is Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich W. Nietzsche, a book for all and none. I also have read Beyond the Good and Evil by him but I prefer the former for so many delicate metaphors and his gripping, convoluted style of writing, yet in the latter book his views are more elaborately elucidated

sepid12ir
12-03-2010, 21:36
Symposium

that was really a great one; simple n short but deep meaning; n as u said n Seymour kinda mentioned it's a book which may never finish; u can go thru it several times; I liked that; one of the best books I've read so far;

Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich W. Natchez,
when I started reading that for a while I got mad; I wasn't myself; my mind was occupied with every little word of the book; kinda heavy n deep in meaning; nice words n a worth reading book ..... gotta mention that the very first days I couldn't finish it n recently I again went thru it n FINALLY finished the book :20:i
//

btw, I've just started reading 'a portrait of the artist as a young man' by 'James Joyce' ... of course I'm reading the original Version in English; that's kinda hard but liked to know yr idea if u've read that

SCYTHE
12-03-2010, 23:18
btw, I've just started reading 'a portrait of the artist as a young man' by 'James Joyce' ... of course I'm reading the original Version in English; that's kinda hard but liked to know yr idea if u've read that

Yeah I have read so much greatness of his works and if I have time, I am so enthusiastic to read "Ulysses", and I also prefer original books to the translated versions, but what is frightfully sad is that in Iran you cannot find the books in foreigner languages except for few books taught in the universities

sepid12ir
12-03-2010, 23:43
Yeah I have read so much greatness of his works and if I have time, I am so enthusiastic to read "Ulysses", and I also prefer original books to the translated versions, but what is frightfully sad is that in Iran you cannot find the books in foreigner languages except for few books taught in the universities

unfortunately; that's one of the biggest problems that we have; even at uni we are sorta limited in choosing the novels we read through the term since the books are not available; n even finding this one was not that easy :41:i
Ulysses is of course Joyce most Popular book; but his books are kinda hard to grasp bcuz he's been so creative in shifting the time n using 'stream of consciousness' in his novels; I get so confused while reading his works;i

SCYTHE
26-03-2010, 23:51
Since I am in love with Nietzsche I would like to add some of my understanding from him. Without attempting to formulate him, what he wants to teach is new positive existentialistic looks toward life new perspectives that oppose especially concepts of Christian morality... Additionally, he has his unique style of writing he leaves the reader to judge and conclude by him/herself, he wants the reader to think, he wants companions not followers. What he writes is not philosophy but literature and no science but art as he believes there is no truth but interpretation therefore he leads us to his earthly breezy interpretation that he sees in overman or Ubermensch

SCYTHE
15-05-2010, 21:59
I am currently reading a book called "Free Will" published by Cambridge Press as a series of very short introduction to philosophy. I like this concept of writing a book which contains say 120-140 pages and you get familiar with different notions of different thinkers from medieval time to modern times very briefly but clearly, plausibly.....By the way, which subjects in philosophy mostly interest you? I for one enjoy reading subjects on metaphysics, ethics

Smartie7
19-06-2010, 22:30
I went to the bookstore today to buy some books then I saw the translated version of this book. There was only one left. It was kinda expensive for me so I put it back in and after a while a lady came to me asking whether I bought the book and I said no ... when leaving the bookstore I asked her whether she bought it ot not, she said that she had read different tanslations of it and she wanted to buy that for someone as a present but then she changed her mind. I asked about the story of the book and she said it's a romantic story and there is a movie based on that ... she said the book has been censored so has the movie. She thought I'm a schooler because she advised me not to watch the movie :31:.

I have the original ebook version. Considering that it has over 700 pages, does it worth reading or not?
(You know I have difficulties reading ebooks that's why I ask this)
A short summery of that would be nice

m007007
19-06-2010, 23:14
The thorn birds??That sounds awfully familiar.I think i've read the short story version when i was learning english.but it was so long ago i basically can't remember anything about it.:D

Antonio Andolini
07-07-2010, 09:52
I am currently reading a book called "Free Will" published by Cambridge Press as a series of very short introduction to philosophy. I like this concept of writing a book which contains say 120-140 pages and you get familiar with different notions of different thinkers from medieval time to modern times very briefly but clearly, plausibly.....By the way, which subjects in philosophy mostly interest you? I for one enjoy reading subjects on metaphysics, ...

I'm reading almost a similar book .. A history of western Philosophy by Mohammad Ali Foroqi .. it talks about philosophers from pre-socratics philosopher to the modern philosophers
It's consisted of 3 volumes but new publications has publicated this book in one volume including the translation of Discourse on the method of rightly conducting the reason and seeking truth in the sciences by Rene Descartes
I'm in the middle of volumeI and my astonishing is the similarity between Plotinos ideas and the persian mystism poets ..

ethicsso am I ... I like this part and Plato's dialogues the most
but I haven't had deep studies in philosophy and I cannot judge about it!

And Aristotle disourses are just a bit confusing ... I should read the sentences many times to understnad what is he talking about

sepid12ir
07-07-2010, 10:24
I went to the bookstore today to buy some books then I saw the translated version of this book. There was only one left. It was kinda expensive for me so I put it back in and after a while a lady came to me asking whether I bought the book and I said no ... when leaving the bookstore I asked her whether she bought it ot not, she said that she had read different tanslations of it and she wanted to buy that for someone as a present but then she changed her mind. I asked about the story of the book and she said it's a romantic story and there is a movie based on that ... she said the book has been censored so has the movie. She thought I'm a schooler because she advised me not to watch the movie :31:.

I have the original ebook version. Considering that it has over 700 pages, does it worth reading or not?
(You know I have difficulties reading ebooks that's why I ask this)
A short summery of that would be nice

I read the book(the translation) 7 8 yrs ago... a great novel, as a teenager I couldn't put it down n I finished the whole book in a week, it was so long though. the scenes have been described nicely and I could imaging every little part of the book; when I watched its movie I find it so close to my imagination
one of the best novels I've ever read n also a great movie, if u can't go thru the book, I do recommend u the movie ...

btw, since I'm totally against e-books I dun recommend u to read its e-books

Smartie7
07-07-2010, 11:49
I read the book(the translation) 7 8 yrs ago... a great novel, as a teenager I couldn't put it down n I finished the whole book in a week, it was so long though. the scenes have been described nicely and I could imaging every little part of the book; when I watched its movie I find it so close to my imagination
one of the best novels I've ever read n also a great movie, if u can't go thru the book, I do recommend u the movie ...

btw, since I'm totally against e-books I dun recommend u to read its e-books

Maybe slightly off topic , but may I ask why don't you recommend e-books?

sepid12ir
07-07-2010, 13:07
Maybe slightly off topic , but may I ask why don't you recommend e-books?

that's totally a personal taste :27: bcuz when I read sth I like to underline some words or lines. I like having the books; I could never finish an e-book n now I dun even download any but some esp ones
that's why I prefer books not e-books

sepid12ir
07-07-2010, 18:00
I am currently reading a book called "Free Will" published by Cambridge Press as a series of very short introduction to philosophy. I like this concept of writing a book which contains say 120-140 pages and you get familiar with different notions of different thinkers from medieval time to modern times very briefly but clearly, plausibly.....By the way, which subjects in philosophy mostly interest you? I for one enjoy reading subjects on metaphysics, ethics

Philosophy, sometimes I go thru some philosophical books and articles but never been fond of that
u know wot, philosophy and philosophical books just leave u alone with lots of unanswered question; that makes me mad; there are lots of questions on my mind about God, Universe and metaphysical subjects but through reading philosophical books I just get more confused;
nothing replaces Literature

that's just a personal point of view
interesting to know that right now I'm reading a philosophical book by Maurice Maeterlinck

خدا و هستی - موریس مترلینگ
ترجمه ذبیح الله منصوری

Antonio Andolini
08-07-2010, 09:48
Philosophy, sometimes I go thru some philosophical books and articles but never been fond of that
u know wot, philosophy and philosophical books just leave u alone with lots of unanswered question; that makes me mad; there are lots of questions on my mind about God, Universe and metaphysical subjects but through reading philosophical books I just get more confused;
nothing replaces Literature

yes,I think it is usual ... isn't it good? ... I mean to be questioned ... you can understand how much your ideas are true and correct

sepid12ir
08-07-2010, 13:19
yes,I think it is usual ... isn't it good? ... I mean to be questioned ... you can understand how much your ideas are true and correct

not really.... bcuz they mostly leave u alone with some questions which u may never find any answer for... they themselves also just offer u questions and have no answer for that ...
isn't it irritating [ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ] ?i
the same is happening to me by readin' this book; full of Qs, but no answer:

n the sad part is that these kinda questions, can never be answered.

SCYTHE
14-07-2010, 23:09
not really.... bcuz they mostly leave u alone with some questions which u may never find any answer for... they themselves also just offer u questions and have no answer for that ...
isn't it irritating ?i
the same is happening to me by readin' this book; full of Qs, but no answer:

n the sad part is that these kinda questions, can never be answered.

I see your point, the state of being uncertain is not pleasant and as you say it's irritating but we should look at things as what they really are not what we want them to be. In fact to be skeptic is the way to challenge dogmatism and it leads us to new perspectives. Inherently most of the questions of philosophy have no definite answers. For example how you can give a general answer to the question of "What are the qualities of a good human being?", the reality of perception must always be questioned because it depends on the characteristics of perceiver, for example when we are talking about "What is the meaning of life?" everyone has his/her own subjective answers. l

SCYTHE
23-08-2010, 00:09
Currently I am reading about modern physics, concepts about relativity, black hole...It's so fascinating and it holds me in awe, it's a disdain to common sense and logic, full of brain-twisters ideas that open new perspectives to the mind...By the way, if you want to avoid the mathematics perplexities and just take in the basics and results, "Relativity, a very short introduction" by Cambridge press is a very good book

Antonio Andolini
23-08-2010, 23:52
Currently I am reading about modern physics, concepts about relativity, black hole...It's so fascinating and it holds me in awe, it's a disdain to common sense and logic, full of brain-twisters ideas that open new perspectives to the mind...By the way, if you want to avoid the mathematics perplexities and just take in the basics and results,

Yep,I'm also interested in Cosmology and Astrophysics but not very good at Modern physics since it's a bit confusing and hard to imagine. which part do you like the most? QED,QCD,Relativity,..?

"Relativity, a very short introduction" by Cambridge press is a very good booknever have I read that but the two Hawking's great books,A Brief History of Time and Universe in a Nutshell are the best books that I've read
==
BTW- today I almost finished Foruqi's book and I got a conclusion that reading philosophy for my age is somehow a wrong and useless thing .. I mean we should obtain our philosophy by our own minds and experiences.because I believe philosophy without example is nothing except words and expressions.I mean for understanding somebody's philosophy we need to know why he/she has got to this conclusion,despite whether it is wrong or right.
I mean the fact that an Idea is right is not necessarily means that I should obey and accept it,more than anything I need to know why they've got to this conclusion.For example suppose that a philosopher states that This world is very unstable and we shouldn't rely on it at all. So what?what can I do?what is his main Idea?and if I wanna don't pay attention to my world what else can I do?what's its replacement?and hundreds of other questions .. But I believe experience can solve this statement(the kind of feeling that I think dear Sepideh called it irritating:happy: )as just a student cannot learn math without solving problems and examples and that's where we can find of our questions,mistakes and many other areas that we haven't noticed at the first sight.
but I don't mean philosophy is nothing and we should burn all the philosophical books in this world:31: it's good .. but for the time that I've found my real myself and obtained my beliefs and so many other things that I haven't discovered.
at this moment I remembered a short story thatsomebody was writing biography about a great man of his time.and an other person comes and says:Go to hell!Why don't you do sth that somebody else comes and writes about you?:31:
Isn't it?
sorry for being talkative
:10:

SCYTHE
24-08-2010, 23:43
In the response to the above post, on the subjects I may find myself enthused, I
like the aspects of physics that yield me philosophical consequences such as especial & general relativity, cosmology...As to your idea of philosophy, I realise your point, when I was younger I had certain philosophical thoughts in my mind that I could relate everything to it and I was unwilling to learn more but when someway I was subjected to otherwise ideas I completely lost my old beliefs and on the basis of the new concepts I tried to interpret my life, my world and all. I somehow enjoy these inner revolutions inside myself since I feel in whole my life the zeal for reaching the truth has made me to climb the mountains and after finding that highness just a distant mirage I departed to other eminences... I know we will never reach to the reality as it never exists or cannot be achieved but in every attempt we find a more elaborated sketch from the truth and this reward outweigh all the expenses we have payed for the truth

SCYTHE
29-11-2010, 13:41
I am avidly reading the book of the lord of the rings, it has overwhelmingly arrested all my attention

SCYTHE
29-03-2011, 23:30
It's a pity that we are not loyal friends of books, I could not imagine my life without reading Nietzsche and Tolkien books.
Currently I am amidst of reading "Human, all too human" by Nietzsche.l

What have been the most influential books in your life?l

sepid12ir
30-03-2011, 00:32
It's a pity that we are not loyal friends of books, I could not imagine my life without reading Nietzsche and Tolkien books.
Currently I am amidst of reading "Human, all too human" by Nietzsche.l

What have been the most influential books in your life?l

it's been a long time that I haven't checked this topic out. now that I had a quick review on older posts, I kinda missed it, thanks for bringing up the topic, my old pal :10:i
referring to one of the most influential books !! let's see, 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra' by Nietzcsche is one of my choices. a book full of moral statements which impressed me a lot.
of course, I don't know 'Nietzcsche' well , but as little as I know, he has ignored God several times in different articles n books, but he cares a lot to morality n 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra' can be one of the examples. n that is interesting to me. I mean the one who ignores God n religious points of views n tales but writes a lot on moralities n these kinda things! ... isn't it interesting ?!i

n if I wanna refer to other influential books, I would go to literary ones! 'death of a salesman' by Arthur Miller.
one of the best dramas I've read so far. Willy Loman, my fav character. a low man who always considered himself a well-liked person. the one who lived in his own world rather than reality n ...! u have to read it yrself

SCYTHE
31-03-2011, 00:41
it's been a long time that I haven't checked this topic out. now that I had a quick review on older posts, I kinda missed it, thanks for bringing up the topic, my old pal :10:i
referring to one of the most influential books !! let's see, 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra' by Nietzcsche is one of my choices. a book full of moral statements which impressed me a lot.
of course, I don't know 'Nietzcsche' well , but as little as I know, he has ignored God several times in different articles n books, but he cares a lot to morality n 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra' can be one of the examples. n that is interesting to me. I mean the one who ignores God n religious points of views n tales but writes a lot on moralities n these kinda things! ... isn't it interesting ?!i

n if I wanna refer to other influential books, I would go to literary ones! 'death of a salesman' by Arthur Miller.
one of the best dramas I've read so far. Willy Loman, my fav character. a low man who always considered himself a well-liked person. the one who lived in his own world rather than reality n ...! u have to read it yrself

Many thanks for your book recommendation. I read a page of it and I liked its vivid descriptions

About your question regarding the paradox between morality and atheism, from the perspective of an atheist, the basis for the morality is rationality instead of belief

In a nutshell, Do good deed because it's good, do not expect like a slave to be punished or praised because of your acts. Of course it's a long discussion and I enjoy discussing these matters if you will, in addition you can find many articles on this subject

SCYTHE
20-04-2011, 21:41
At the moment I am reading "The Castle" by "Franz Kafka". I can relate to the novel, it's profound, it shows the absurdity so deeply in meaning of life, pointless goals of life, ...l
But amazingly in this desperate atmosphere, you can find many comedy scenes, that again come out of absurdity and foolishness

SCYTHE
06-05-2011, 16:58
I am somehow amazed by this bleak atmosphere! Anyway, now I am reading "Trail" by Kafka, so far I have read "Castle" and "Metaphorsis" by him. Reading his works are like facing the nightmarish facts of our life that we always try to avaoid them but they remain in our unconcious part of our brain and inflict us now and then. l

SCYTHE
15-05-2011, 22:13
Reading books is a good escape, I almost don't sense the stream of time. Currently I am reading some books simultaneously; namely, "The problems of Philosophy" by Bertrand Russell and "Ulysses" by James Joyce. The latter is a challenge to understand which makes it even more interesting.l

I have a subject that I would be happy if you share your ideas:l
Has it ever happened to you that you buy a book and after reading some pages of it throw it away? If your answer is affirmative, would you name the books?l

Antonio Andolini
14-07-2011, 00:19
Gita (Bhagavad Gita)
Song of God
I finished this book months ago but on these months I was trying to understand the meaning of the book. The book is only about 150 pages but it's too rich! .. it consists of Hindu prays and it is known as the holiest Hindu scriptures.. as I have got from this book the most evil thing is doing something because of its rewards or not doing your jobs because of punishment and the one who does his jobs out of rewards and punishments is considered as the real Yugi.
It is a very nice book, if you are eager to study about other religions this book gives you good picture of Hinduism.
I also should note that this book is in fact a part of a big story(Mahabharata) that Arjuna(The Prince) has won Kurukshetra war and passed very meaningful examinations and now has reached the nearest place to God and talks to him!.
The translator,Mohammad Ali Movahed, gives a good picture of the whole story and Hinduism at the preface and helps you to understand this book better.

SCYTHE
27-08-2011, 23:48
It's a disgrace we are not loyal friends of books...To me book is the best friend which keeps me away from sinking into absurd depths and toss me into great heights which can only be fantasised by being a vivid reader or beholder of fantastic arts...What kind of books you fancy reading? I still indulge in the reminisce of reading Kafka and Tolkien works...Reading fantasy books have bestowed upon me the richest moments of life

Let us get metaphysical by floating in unfathomable ocean of human imagination...There is a stirring in my heart which keeps me loathing to live in reality and more drifted into surrealism

Antonio Andolini
01-09-2011, 20:53
Marche sur mes yeux(Walk on My eyes)
Serge Michel & Paolo Woods
Hi Guys!
How's everything going?:31:
recently I read a very beautiful and fascinating book.
it's about Iranian society ... no no .. don't think like that .. it's not that kind of books which just talk about cliche issues about Iran like 2009 election, women rights,Islamic extremist ,.. it's about our society!
The authors,Serge Michel and Paolo Woods, have spent some years in Iran for the french magazine,Le Monde, and they decided to try to write a book about happiness in Iran.
anyway, no matter what kind of political,social,religion views you have, I recommend this book. it gives a good aspect of our society!
the authors called the society "The Empir Of Appearances" and the book starts with the Oscar Wilde quotation :
It is only shallow people who do not judge by appearences.
the true mystery of the world is the visible not the invisible.
BTW- this book is originally written in French and has been translated and published in Persian by anonymous group under the permission of the authors and publication so you can download and read this book freely without feeling guilty from its official web site:

برای مشاهده محتوا ، لطفا وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنیدI rate it 10/10 ... it really worth
!

SCYTHE
18-09-2011, 21:08
I just finished "The Hobbit" and such a thrilling tale it is! I am facing difficulties in finding some novels to read, after all for a vivid Tolkien reader, middle earth is where he never wants to forsake

What are you reading currently if any?

rosenegarin13
11-11-2011, 21:09
Hi all,l
I've just finished reading Frankenstein by Mary Shelley ... A Gothic novel of about 200 pages .. Mary wrote it at the age of 18. Lord Byron, Percy Shelley and Mary started reading German ghost stories and shortly after, Lord Byron suggested that they each write their own supernatural story. Mary had the idea of Frankenstein in a dream which was a scene of creating a kinda human being by a scientist.l
The story deals with the idea of creation and the sufferings of the "creator" and the "created". This creation ruins Victor's life; the scientist. The solitude which the monster experiences resembles Adam's except for that the monster has no Eve to be with. Asking Victor to create a female creature for him, he promises to leave Victor and other human beings afterwards. Since Victor refuses, the monster starts killing all his family and does harm to other human beings too.l
I sympathized (and empathized as well:31:) with the monster for his loneliness and misery. His feelings were truly similar to human beings who are doomed to live on the earth. I do recommend it for these long gloomy winter nights .. :31:l

I also read the play "Ivanov" by Chekhov. The story of a lost and desperate man and the people around him who misunderstand his deeds. A modernized version of the play is on the stage at Iran-Shahr Theater. Written and directed by Amir Reza kouhestani, starring Mohammad Hasan Ma'jouni, Fariba Kamran, Negar Javaherian, it is on the stage till the end of Aban, I do recommend it too. :31:l

I finished reading a post modern detective/mystery work by Paul Auster. City of Glass is not a classic detective story to uncover a crime. It deals with the language mysteries and with the protagonist (Quinne) who is lost and finds himself through the novel. I did enjoy reading it for the language is simple and persuasive as well. It's the first novel of the New York Trilogy by Auster.

Now, I'm trying to finish this Jane Eyre of Bronte. A very detailed and descriptive novel with a happy ending :31:. l

SCYTHE
17-02-2012, 02:51
Well, I didn't find a better topic to disclose my frenzy of learning more about evolution, mind theory and astrobiology... these are the areas I'd like to plunge deeper into

Grasping how life came to be and evolved and also hypothesising how it will be terminated is a milestone in human history of seeking knowledge...There is a long way remained to be able to fully manipulate the machine of the universe, but that day will come surely

godfather_mk
24-02-2012, 22:59
i am looking for a horror novel like stephen king books, anyone can introduce me a good one?
thanks in advance

SCYTHE
25-02-2012, 00:30
i am looking for a horror novel like stephen king books, anyone can introduce me a good one?
thanks in advance

Which books did you read from him? Check Amazon (the link below):l
[ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ] ([ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ] FWind-Through-Keyhole-Tower-Novel%2Fdp%2F144473170X%2Fref%3Dtag_dpp_lp_edpp_tt l_in)

Scroll down and you will see similar books

Also, if you are looking for some popular horror novels check hereunder

[ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ] ([ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ] FHorror-Books%2Fb%2Fref%3Damb_link_21520765_36%3Fie%3DUTF8 %26node%3D63%26pf_rd_m%3DA3P5ROKL5A1OLE%26pf_rd_s% 3Dcenter-3%26pf_rd_r%3D1JEVCGY4CHYBHKVBQBVJ%26pf_rd_t%3D101 %26pf_rd_p%3D204404547%26pf_rd_i%3D1025612)

I on my own recommend "Dracula", it's classic

Antonio Andolini
26-04-2012, 13:18
Hi guys.. Tehran international book fair is coming ..have any special recommendation or any kind of experience?
some of my friends believed that more than 50% of visitors just come for fun with no aim to buy book so that the fair becomes too crowded and busy and it doesn't worth visiting it .
your opinion?

SCYTHE
28-04-2012, 20:10
Hi guys.. Tehran international book fair is coming ..have any special recommendation or any kind of experience?
some of my friends believed that more than 50% of visitors just come for fun with no aim to buy book so that the fair becomes too crowded and busy and it doesn't worth visiting it .
your opinion?

I guess you are interested in astrophysics, I am currently reading a book titled "The Universe Before the Big Bang". It's a great book for laymen without going into mathematical complexity (I can email it to you if you will)...BTW, I am curious to know whether you can introduce me some fascinating books in this field

Antonio Andolini
30-04-2012, 15:04
I guess you are interested in astrophysics, I am currently reading a book titled "The Universe Before the Big Bang". It's a great book for laymen without going into mathematical complexity (I can email it to you if you will)...BTW, I am curious to know whether you can introduce me some fascinating books in this field

Yea, in the early years of my high school I was crazy about physics and its branches(Astrophysics,Quantum,particles,...) and I used to read a lot of articles about it.but as the time approached I lost my interest in these areas but I still sometime read about these matters and I'd be happy to share our knowledge.
I just have read Stephene Hawking's famous books and some articles that unfortunately I don't have them right now

SCYTHE
30-04-2012, 20:30
Yea, in the early years of my high school I was crazy about physics and its branches(Astrophysics,Quantum,particles,...) and I used to read a lot of articles about it.but as the time approached I lost my interest in these areas but I still sometime read about these matters and I'd be happy to share our knowledge.
I just have read Stephene Hawking's famous books and some articles that unfortunately I don't have them right now

Please your hunger as you will, thus I sip my solitude...When you know about something it's like beings there and when you know the world rules, you quite feel you have experienced all eras, from the primordial till far into the future (though there's no beginning nor end)... Knowledge presents immortality

Antonio Andolini
01-09-2012, 17:01
Hi
I was reading the first volume of this well-known book,The Open Society and Its Enemies by Carl Popper
When I used to talk about Plato and his kind of Dialectics with my friends,many of my friends strongly recommended this book to me as Popper is a strict critic of Plato's political thoughts.
I just started the first volume which is about Plato and Totalitarian ideas and the author criticizes Plato and his ideas(while the second Vol talks about Marxism and Hegelianism )a
if I wanna state Plato's political program briefly we can say he believed Philosopher(s) should be the king and ordinary people should obey him
so Popper says(or I just think he says!) this kind of privilege to philosophers brings our society into a closed and Totalitarian situation like some of the Marxism-Leninsm ideologies developed after WWII
But,you know, this kind of critic didn't favored me at all. if we wanna make these kind of critics should we count people like Cyrus The Great as cruel and bad guys because they didn't give freedom to their people as much as today Swedish Social Democrat government?!! isn't it a bit weird? a
I don't wanna say I do or do not agree with the author but I did not enjoy the book so much until now
I still haven't finished it and if I changed my mind I will change my review as well :31:a
and maybe I'm not mature enough to read these kinds of stuff [ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ] as some people say

Thanks