نام تاپيک: Grammatical Problems

تاريخ عضويت
    Feb 2005
    محل سكونت
    Tehran
    پست ها

13 Some points

نقل قول نوشته شده توسط amintnt

Don't u think that if the first part were like this it was better?
    This is the first thing that i've tried to write in english here and excuse me if u find lots mistakes in it.
    it can be " i try to write" but i think that "I've tried" shoud be better. and the word forgive used to tell u r sorry about sth bad such as sin. but here excuse me is better to raplace with. (maybe i'm wrong)
    Hi Amin

Thanks for your attention.

In addition to your structure, we can also say: "This is the first time I'm trying to write in English." or "This is my first writing in English."

And about the second point, I have to say that if you use "Excuse me", your writhing will sound more informal. So you'd better say something like this: "Please excuse my (probable) mistakes."

However, I see eye to eye with rezamjir.

And also, this sentence is not correct:

Corrected form:

Don't you think that if the first part were like this, it would be better?

Yours

Reza

تاريخ عضويت
    May 2006
    پست ها

نقل قول نوشته شده توسط Reza1969

Hi Amin

Thanks for your attention.

In addition to your structure, we can also say: "This is the first time I'm trying to write in English." or "This is my first writing in English."

And about the second point, I have to say that if you use "Excuse me", your writhing will sound more informal. So you'd better say something like this: "Please excuse my (probable) mistakes."

However, I see eye to eye with rezamjir.

And also, this sentence is not correct:

Corrected form:

Don't you think that if the first part were like this, it would be better?

Yours

Reza
    Hi. All of u say that i'm wrong. so im wrong . No DOUBT. and about that mistake of me. Yeah, It sound that u r right.

تاريخ عضويت
    Sep 2005
    محل سكونت
    تهران
    پست ها

پيش فرض

Hello All
    I need your help with some word structure. I guess you know the word "Unstopable", Don't you? Now I wonder if there is such a form of this word with this structure:
    "Unstopablly"

Thanks for you help
    Good Luck

داره خودمونی میشه
    تاريخ عضويت
    Aug 2006
    پست ها

پيش فرض

unstoppable
    One entry found for unstoppable.

Main Entry: un·stop·pa·ble
    Pronunciation: -'stä-p&-b&l
    Function: adjective
    : incapable of being stopped <an unstoppable army> <an unstoppable rise to power>
    - un·stop·pa·bly /-blE/ adverb

[ برای مشاهده لینک ، با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ]

I found this in Merriam Webster's Online Dictionary.

اگه نباشه جاش خالی می مونه Mitamo's Avatar
    تاريخ عضويت
    Apr 2006
    پست ها

پيش فرض a question about grammer

How many noun clauses and how many adjective clasues are included in this text?

Thanks

The topic was edited

The control of fire was the first and perhaps greatest of humanity’s steps towards a life-enhancing technology.

To early man fire was a divine gift randomly delivered in the form of lighting forest fire or burning lava.

Unable to make flame for themselves, the earliest peoples probably stored fire by keeping slow-burning logs alight or by carrying charcoal in pots.

How and where man learnt how to produce flame at will is unknown.

It was probably a secondary Invention, accidentally made during tool-making operations with wood or stone.

Studies of primitive societies suggest that the earliest method of making fire was through friction European peasants would insert a wooden drill in a round hole and rotate it briskly between their palms.

This process could be speeded up by wrapping a cord around the drill and pulling on each end.

The Ancient Greeks usual lenses or concave mirrors to concentrate the sun’s rays and burning glasses were also used by Mexican Aztecs and the Chinese.

Percussion methods of fire lighting date back to Paleolithic times, when some Stone Age tool-makers discovered that chipping flints produced sparks the technique became more efficient after the discovery of iron, about 5000 years ago.

In Arctic North America, the Eskimos produced a slow-burning spark by striking quarts against iron pyrites, a compound that contains sulphur.

The Chinese lit their fires by striking porcelain with bamboo.

In Europe, the combination of steel, flint and tinder remained the main method of fire-lighting until the mid-19th century.

Fire-lighting was revolutionized by the discovery of phosphorus, isolated in 1669 by a German alchemist trying to transmute silver into gold.

Impressed by the element’s combustibility, several 17th century chemists used it to manufacture fire-lighting devices, but the results were dangerously inflammable.

With phosphorus costing the equivalent of several hundred pounds per ounce, the first matches were expensive.

The quest for a practical match really began after 1781 when a group of French chemists came up with the phosphoric candle or Ethereal Match, a sealed glass tube containing a twist of paper tipped with phosphorus.

When the tube was broken, air rushed in, causing the phosphorus to self combust.

تاريخ عضويت
    Feb 2005
    محل سكونت
    Tehran
    پست ها

1 The answer

Dear Blue_Moon

Please pay attention to the regulations of this forum before leaving your post. You're not allowed to writre in Persian in English forum.

About your question,

I can tell you in this way that a noun clause is a kind of clause which comes in a sentence and can act as the subject or object of that sentence like

I know that coffee grows in Brazil.(noun clause as the object of the sentence)

How he gets the money is his own affair.(noun clause as the subject of the sentence)

But an adjective clause is a clause that comes after a noun to complete its meaning.It's sometimes called a relative clause, too. Like

This is the year when the Olympic games are held.

He paid the man whom he had hired.

This is the girl whose picture you saw.

Now in your text, I've marked the adjective clasues with blue color and the noun clasuses with red one. And you'd better know that sometimes an adjective or a noun clause may contain another noun or adjective clause.

The control of fire was the first and perhaps greatest of humanity’s steps towards a life-enhancing technology.

To early man fire was a divine gift randomly delivered in the form of lighting forest fire or burning lava.

Unable to make flame for themselves, the earliest peoples probably stored fire by keeping slow-burning logs alight or by carrying charcoal in pots.

How and where man learnt how to produce flame at will is unknown.

It was probably a secondary Invention, accidentally made during tool-making operations with wood or stone.

Studies of primitive societies suggest that the earliest method of making fire was through friction European peasants would insert a wooden drill in a round hole and rotate it briskly between their palms.

This process could be speeded up by wrapping a cord around the drill and pulling on each end.

The Ancient Greeks usual lenses or concave mirrors to concentrate the sun’s rays and burning glasses were also used by Mexican Aztecs and the Chinese.

Percussion methods of fire lighting date back to Paleolithic times, when some Stone Age tool-makers discovered that chipping flints produced sparks the technique became more efficient after the discovery of iron, about 5000 years ago.

In Arctic North America, the Eskimos produced a slow-burning spark by striking quarts against iron pyrites, a compound that contains sulphur.

The Chinese lit their fires by striking porcelain with bamboo.

In Europe, the combination of steel, flint and tinder remained the main method of fire-lighting until the mid-19th century.

Fire-lighting was revolutionized by the discovery of phosphorus, isolated in 1669 by a German alchemist trying to transmute silver into gold.

Impressed by the element’s combustibility, several 17th century chemists used it to manufacture fire-lighting devices, but the results were dangerously inflammable.

With phosphorus costing the equivalent of several hundred pounds per ounce, the first matches were expensive.

The quest for a practical match really began after 1781 when a group of French chemists came up with the phosphoric candle or Ethereal Match, a sealed glass tube containing a twist of paper tipped with phosphorus.

When the tube was broken, air rushed in, causing the phosphorus to self combust.

تاريخ عضويت
    Oct 2006
    پست ها

پيش فرض

I have a test about gramer.Please answer it asap & mention your reason

The process uses an innovative digital technology -----------the products which as many colors as the image contains

1-to imprint that

2- that imprinting

3- that imprints

4- that it imprints

5- imprints that

thanks

تاريخ عضويت
    May 2006
    محل سكونت
    Tehran
    پست ها

پيش فرض

نقل قول نوشته شده توسط amoz
    I have a test about gramer.Please answer it asap & mention your reason

The process uses an innovative digital technology -----------the products which as many colors as the image contains

1-to imprint that

2- that imprinting

3- that imprints

4- that it imprints

5- imprints that

thanks

Dear Amoz,

I'm not quite sure but I think no. 3 could well fill the gap in your sentence. Because "the products" is the object for imprints and "which...." is the modifier. "imprint" is the verb for "digital technoliogy".

Good luck

تاريخ عضويت
    Feb 2005
    محل سكونت
    Tehran
    پست ها

1 The reason for the correct answer

Hi dear Amoz

In agreement with love-to-learn, I have to say that item 3 best fits the sentence. Because after the word technologywhich is a noun we can continue the sentence in two ways:

using a realative clause(here a that clause) or an infinitive.

Items 2 & 5 are out of discussion as after thatwe can't use a gerund and the word imprintsin item 5 starts with no subordinator.

Item 1 can't correct as in that case the sentence after thatwould lack a main verb.

And item 4 is not correct because after that in a relative clause we can't use a pronoun.

So we have item 4 left.

تاريخ عضويت
    Oct 2006
    پست ها

پيش فرض

thankyou anyone for answering my question

Thread Information