نام تاپيک: Idioms, Proverbs, Expressions & Slang terms

داره خودمونی میشه
    تاريخ عضويت
    Jan 2005
    پست ها

پيش فرض

Dear Dianella

Good job and keep it up!

It's good that you've included the Farsi translation of the idioms and slang

Just wondein' if there is any book or web-site that you've used as a source
    and I would greatly appreciate having access to the whole "source" package

Cheers

Rainman

تاريخ عضويت
    May 2006
    پست ها

پيش فرض

ok but... they are called internet slangs , theyre used in chatrooms , online games , or en based forums
    whatever
    !as you wish sir
    useful for me! just the meanings not the short forms

داره خودمونی میشه
    تاريخ عضويت
    Nov 2006
    محل سكونت
    ناکجا
    پست ها

پيش فرض

(fair shake(to give someone
    یه شانس دیگه به کسی دادن

talk someone into something
    متقاعد کردن کسی

as plain as the nose on your face
    خیلی واضع

pull someone's leg
    شوخی کردن

flash in pan
    خیلی زود گذر

pop the question
    خاستگاری کردن

تاريخ عضويت
    May 2006
    پست ها

پيش فرض

In one of the topics, dear reza had said this sentence:" let me touch the wood". the

meaning is pretty clear. I checked it in dictionary, and here is the explaination.

Touch wood (BrE) (AmE, knock on wood), Its American is more similar to Iranians,

isn't it?

used when u have just mentioned some way in which u have been lucky in the past,

to avoid bringing bad luck: I've been driving over 20 years and never had an

accident- touch wood! .
    بزن به تخته.

another on with wood

Not see the wood for trees( AmE, not see the forest for the trees). To not see or understand the main point about sth, because u r paying much attention to small details.

Is there any equivalent in persian for this one?

Kick someone's ass
    حال کسی رو گرفتن

تاريخ عضويت
    Feb 2005
    محل سكونت
    Tehran
    پست ها

[LEFT]
    In one of the topics, dear reza had said this sentence:" let me touch the wood". the

meaning is pretty clear. I checked it in dictionary, and here is the explaination.

Touch wood (BrE) (AmE, knock on wood), Its American is more similar to Iranians,

isn't it?

used when u have just mentioned some way in which u have been lucky in the past,

to avoid bringing bad luck: I've been driving over 20 years and never had an

accident- touch wood! .
    بزن به تخته.

another on with wood

Not see the wood for trees( AmE, not see the forest for the trees). To not see or understand the main point about sth, because u r paying much attention to small details.

Is there any equivalent in persian for this one?

Kick someone's ass
    حال کسی رو گرفتن
    Dear Amin

Thanks for your attention to smallest details in my posts, but don't you think it is good to practice what we preach? Before making your post, did you bother just to take a quik look at it to see if you've goofed up and if so, how many times? Let me clear it up for you:

In one of the topics, dear reza has said this sentence:" let me touch the wood". the meaning is pretty clear. I checked it in the dictionary, and here is the explanation:

Touch wood (BrE) (AmE, knock on wood), Its American style is more similar to its Persian equivalent, isn't it?

And about your question, I don't think we've got any equivalents for it in Persian.However, that's what I think. But ytou can use other idioms like :
    Don't split hairs : مته به خشخاش نگذار

تاريخ عضويت
    May 2006
    پست ها

پيش فرض

[LEFT]
    Dear Amin

Thanks for your attention to smallest details in my posts, but don't you think it is good to practice what we preach? Before making your post, did you bother just to take a quik look at it to see if you've goofed up and if so, how many times? Let me clear it up for you:

In one of the topics, dear reza has said this sentence:" let me touch the wood". the meaning is pretty clear. I checked it in the dictionary, and here is the explanation:

Touch wood (BrE) (AmE, knock on wood), Its American style is more similar to its Persian equivalent, isn't it?

And about your question, I don't think we've got any equivalents for it in Persian.However, that's what I think. But ytou can use other idioms like :
    Don't split hairs : مته به خشخاش نگذار

wow! thanks dear
    ؟

در آغاز فعالیت
    تاريخ عضويت
    Jan 2007
    محل سكونت
    Birmingham - England
    پست ها

1 British slangs

Hey guys,
    I don't know if any of these has already been mentioned here or not but i give it a 50 out of 100 that I am the ace
    going for a bender= بریم تا خرخره مشروب بخوریم
    This one has been used about 100 years ago in England but still the yougsters are using it on daily conversations. On the old good days the 50 shilings coin was made out of silver and it was easy to bend it with teeth , it was also the money that you should have paid for 8 pints of larger ( 4liters of beer) and a packet of cigrette. so if they were saying let's go for a bender,it meant, let's go and spend 50 shilings on beers and get proper drunk.

upper crost=منصوب به کسی که از اشراف باشد. توانمند
    again meny years ago when the bakers were making bread in england they were putting the paste on the hot ashes to cook. after the bread was cooked then it would be cut in to 2 halves horizentaly. the top bit which was called upper crost was for richest part of the society who could pay double on the price as it was nice and the bottom bit which was called lower crost was for the poor part of society who would not have enough money and they would recieve the bread with the burnt ash mixed with the bread. soon it became a saying between people to descreminate one from the other and today it is still in use between the crowd.

در آغاز فعالیت
    تاريخ عضويت
    Jan 2007
    محل سكونت
    Birmingham - England
    پست ها

1 British Slangs 2

Ta mate= Thank you my friend
    Ta Ra= See you later
    it bugs me=it bothers me
    you with me?= are you listening to what I am describing to you
    I am mashed, I am shattered, I am hammerd= I am so tired