May 2008
    محل سكونت
    AZƏRBAYCAN
    پست ها

پيش فرض

Browne, Sir Thomas (1605-1682)
    God is like a skilful Geometrician.
    Religio Medici I, 16.

All things began in Order, so shall they end, and so shall they begin again, according to the Ordainer of Order, and the mystical mathematicks of the City of Heaven.
    Hydriotaphia, Urn-burial and the Garden of Cyrus, 1896.

...indeed what reason may not go to Schoole to the wisdome of Bees, Aunts, and Spiders? what wise hand teacheth them to doe what reason cannot teach us? ruder heads stand amazed at those prodigious pieces of nature, Whales, Elephants, Dromidaries and Camels; these I confesse, are the Colossus and Majestick pieces of her hand; but in these narrow Engines there is more curious Mathematicks, and the civilitie of these little Citizens more neatly sets forth the wisedome of their Maker.
    In J. R. Newman (ed.) The World of Mathematics, New York: Simon and Schuster, 1956, p. 1001.

تاريخ عضويت
    May 2008
    محل سكونت
    AZƏRBAYCAN
    پست ها

پيش فرض

Buck, Pearl S. (1892 - 1973)
    No one really understood music unless he was a scientist, her father had declared, and not just a scientist, either, oh, no, only the real ones, the theoreticians, whose language mathematics. She had not understood mathematics until he had explained to her that it was the symbolic language of relationships. "And relationships," he had told her, "contained the essential meaning of life."
    The Goddess Abides, Pt. I, 1972.

تاريخ عضويت
    May 2008
    محل سكونت
    AZƏRBAYCAN
    پست ها

پيش فرض

Burke, Edmund
    The age of chivalry is gone. That of sophisters, economists and calculators has succeeded.
    Reflections on the Revolution in France

تاريخ عضويت
    May 2008
    محل سكونت
    AZƏRBAYCAN
    پست ها

پيش فرض

Butler, Bishop
    To us probability is the very guide of life.
    Preface to Analogy.

تاريخ عضويت
    May 2008
    محل سكونت
    AZƏRBAYCAN
    پست ها

پيش فرض

Butler, Samuel (1612 - 1680)
    ... There can be no doubt about faith and not reason being the ultima ratio. Even Euclid, who has laid himself as little open to the charge of credulity as any writer who ever lived, cannot get beyond this. He has no demonstrable first premise. He requires postulates and axioms which transcend demonstration, and without which he can do nothing. His superstructure indeed is demonstration, but his ground his faith. Nor again can he get further than telling a man he is a fool if he persists in differing from him. He says "which is absurd," and declines to discuss the matter further. Faith and authority, therefore, prove to be as necessary for him as for anyone else.
    The Way of All Flesh.

تاريخ عضويت
    May 2008
    محل سكونت
    AZƏRBAYCAN
    پست ها

پيش فرض

Byron
    When Newton saw an apple fall, he found ...
    A mode of proving that the earth turnd round
    In a most natural whirl, called gravitation;
    And thus is the sole mortal who could grapple
    Since Adam, with a fall or with an apple.
    Last edited by t.s.m.t; 18-09-2009 at 18:28.

تاريخ عضويت
    May 2008
    محل سكونت
    AZƏRBAYCAN
    پست ها

پيش فرض

Caballero, James
    I advise my students to listen carefully the moment they decide to take no more mathematics courses. They might be able to hear the sound of closing doors.
    Everybody a mathematician?,CAIP Quarterly 2 (Fall, 1989).

تاريخ عضويت
    May 2008
    محل سكونت
    AZƏRBAYCAN
    پست ها

پيش فرض

Cardano, Girolamo (1501 - 1576)
    To throw in a fair game at Hazards only three-spots, when something great is at stake, or some business is the hazard, is a natural occurrence and deserves to be so deemed; and even when they come up the same way for a second time if the throw be repeated. If the third and fourth plays are the same, surely there is occasion for suspicion on the part of a prudent man.
    De Vita Propria Liber.

تاريخ عضويت
    May 2008
    محل سكونت
    AZƏRBAYCAN
    پست ها

پيش فرض

Carlyle, Thomas (1795 - 1881)
    It is a mathematical fact that the casting of this pebble from my hand alters the centre of gravity of the universe.
    Sartor Resartus III
    Teaching school is but another word for sure and not very slow destruction.
    In H. Eves In Mathematical Circles, Boston: Prindle, Weber and Schmidt, 1969.
    A witty statesman said, you might prove anything by figures.
    Chartism.

تاريخ عضويت
    May 2008
    محل سكونت
    AZƏRBAYCAN
    پست ها

پيش فرض

Carroll, Lewis
    What I tell you three times is true.
    The Hunting of the Snark.

The different branches of Arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision.
    Alice in Wonderland.

"Can you do addition?" the White Queen asked. "What's one and one and one and one and one and one and one and one and one and one?" "I don't know," said Alice. "I lost count."
    Through the Looking Glass.

"Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe impossible things."
    "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
    Alice in Wonderland.

"Then you should say what you mean," the March Hare went on.
    "I do, " Alice hastily replied; "at least I mean what I say, that's the same thing, you know."
    "Not the same thing a bit!" said the Hatter. "Why, you might just as well say that "I see what I eat" is the same thing as "I eat what I see!"
    Alice in Wonderland.

"It's very good jam," said the Queen.
    "Well, I don't want any to-day, at any rate."
    "You couldn't have it if you did want it," the Queen said. "The rule is jam tomorrow and jam yesterday but never jam to-day."
    "It must come sometimes to "jam to-day,""Alice objected.
    "No it can't," said the Queen. "It's jam every other day; to-day isn't any other day, you know."
    "I don't understand you," said Alice. "It's dreadfully confusing."
    Through the Looking Glass.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."
    Through the Looking Glass

Thread Information