نمايش نتايج 11 به 20 از 26

نام تاپيک: ** Letter Writing**

تاريخ عضويت
    Jun 2006
    محل سكونت
    esfahan
    پست ها

پيش فرض Invitations

Do you have an engagement, wedding, baby shower, or graduation coming up? Is there a performance, school event, or meeting to which you want to invite people? Any special religious ceremonies like Communion or a Bar Mitzvah? Do you want to invite someone to speak at your meeting or conference?

Whatever your event is, the following will help you write an effective invitation.
    Guidelines for writing invitations:
    State the occasion, date, time, and place. Include addresses and a map if necessary. Mention if refreshments will be served. List any charges that may apply. Include a telephone number for RSVPs. If there is a dress code, state the preferred dress in the lower left-hand corner of the card

If you need a response, include a self-addressed, stamped reply card or envelope with your invitation.

Express that you are looking forward to seeing the person.

Do not use abbreviations and do not use contractions (don't; we'll) except for name titles, such as Mr., Mrs., etc.

If dinner will be served, state two separate times: the time people can start arriving and the time dinner will be served.

If you do not want gifts, briefly state that gifts are not wanted or needed. Explain that their presence is the only gift you need.

Make sure you send your invitations out with ample advance notice.

If you have guests coming from out of town or from other countries, you may want to send out your invitation several months in advance (especially if your event takes place around a holiday.) This will allow your guests adequate time to make preparations, reservations, save money, etc.

For smaller, less formal events that include local guests or guests from nearby areas, you may only need to provide a few weeks notice.

If you are inviting someone to speak at a conference, your invitation should include the following information:
    • Name of the conference and the sponsoring organization;
    • Date, time, place of the conference and speech;
    • Type of audience;
    • The type of speech, topic, and how long the speech should be;
    • Any accommodations that will be made, including lodging, meals, and transportation;
    • The name of the contact person along with phone numbers and addresses where the person can be contacted; and
    • Finally, articulate your pleasure of having the person speak at the meeting or conference.

تاريخ عضويت
    Jun 2006
    محل سكونت
    esfahan
    پست ها

پيش فرض examples

Formal Invitation

Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin Rasool
    cordially invite you to a reception
    celebrating the engagement of
    Mary Jane Rasool and Robert Yates
    to be held Sunday, the sixth of June
    at six o'clock
    Pierre's Cafe
    800 23rd Street NW
    Washington, DC

RSVP Semi-Formal Dress
    (202) 555-6908

Business Invitation

Longman's Transportation Services
    Cordially invites you to the
    15th Annual Employees Appreciation Picnic.
    The whole family is welcome!
    12:00 pm to 8:00 pm
    Saturday, May 22, 1999
    South Redding Creek Park
    Redding, Maryland
    Food, drink, games, and
    entertainment will be provided.

Personal Invitation

You are invited to Michael Carison's 10th birthday!

Date: Saturday June 12, 1999
    Time: 11:30 am to 3:00 pm
    Where: 345 Eastern Avenue

Lodi, Washington
    Call Tonia at (307) 555-1234 to RSVP

تاريخ عضويت
    Jun 2006
    محل سكونت
    esfahan
    پست ها

پيش فرض Offering Condolences

Has a friend, neighbor, or relative experienced the death of someone close to them? Has someone you know experienced a loss or misfortune? Has someone been recently divorced or had a miscarriage? Has there been an accident or the loss of a loved pet?

Although sympathy letters are probably the most difficult types of letters to write, these tips will help you write a sympathy letter that is tactful and appreciated. Guidelines for writing condolence letters:

A simple "I'm sorry" is sometimes the only thing that is necessary to say. Avoid being overly dramatic. Keep the letter as brief and as short as possible

Make sure you include the name of the person who died or mention the specific incident that caused sorrow for the person.

If you knew the deceased, mention something positive about the person, such as a memory, a short story, or anything else that pays tribute to their life

Condolences can be offered through prayers, thoughts and good wishes, but avoid being too religious if you do not know the person very well

Offer to help in some way

People should be allowed to mourn in their own way and in their own time. Do not tell the person to look at the bright side.

Notes for acquaintances and colleagues should be written in the same way as notes for friends or relatives, although shorter

Be careful with your word choice. Avoid using uncomfortable words that may indicate that the death was tragic or gruesome.

When writing your letter, imagine yourself in the other person's place.

Close with an expression of sympathy or affection.

تاريخ عضويت
    Jun 2006
    محل سكونت
    esfahan
    پست ها

پيش فرض examples

Death of a Pet

Dear Gregory,

I am sorry to hear about the death of your dog, Barky. I know how much you will miss him. I will miss him jumping up to greet me when I visit you. I hope that you are doing well during this difficult time. If you ever feel lonely and need someone to talk to, please do not hesitate to call me.
    Take care of yourself.

Love,
    Becky

---------
    Loss of a Job

Dear Stu,

I was saddened to hear that you lost your job at the Academia Institute. I know that you were really excited about the prospect of working there. I hope that this time does not become too difficult for you. I wish you luck in finding a new job, and in all your other pursuits.
    Remember I am your cousin and will do anything I can for you. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. Take care of yourself.

Love,
    Charm Gold

-------------
    Divorce

Dear Diamond Sky,

I was saddened to hear about your divorce. I know this is a difficult and painful time, and I wish you all the compassion and support you deserve. If you ever need help in taking care of the girls or with anything else, let me know.
    You are in my prayers.
    Best wishes,

Red N. Socks
    Red N. Socks

تاريخ عضويت
    Jun 2006
    محل سكونت
    esfahan
    پست ها

پيش فرض Advocacy

Do you want government officials or other people in positions of authority to take action on issues that matter to you?

This will guide you as you write an advocacy letter.
    Guidelines for writing advocacy letters:

State clearly what you would like your reader to do

Explain briefly why you think he/she should do this. Help your reader understand the need for action on his/her part, but avoid giving so much detail that you bore or annoy him/her

If the action you are requesting would require the reader to contact you, provide your telephone number, fax number, and/or e-mail address.

Format for your advocacy letter:

Letterhead
    (or just type your name and address)

Date
    Name of the Reader
    Title of the Reader (if he/she has one)
    Address of the Reader
    Salutation:

1st Paragraph - State what you want the person to do for you.
    2nd Paragraph - State the most important facts that support your cause. You want this paragraph to explain the most compelling reasons for action.
    3rd Paragraph - Talk about how the reader can make a personal difference. This paragraph should not just be facts, and should engage the reader in a personal way. You can refer to your request again here.
    4th Paragraph - Thank the reader for considering your request, and provide information on how you may be reached.
    Closing

Your signature
    Your typed name
    Your title (if you have one)

Sample Advocacy Letter

State Association of the Deaf
    14420 W. Water Street
    Baltimore, MD 34413

December 18, 1993
    Honorable William Donald Schaefer
    Governor of Maryland
    State House, Room 216
    Annapolis, MD 21401
    Dear Governor Schaefer:
    What you want the reader to do
    The deaf and hard of hearing community of Maryland will hold a rally in support of the Video Caption Access Bill (VCAB) outside of the State Capitol in Annapolis, MD, on Thursday, January 27, 1994. We would be honored to have you take part in the short program at 11:30a.m. and the press conference at 12:15p.m.
    Most important facts supporting your cause
    The VCAB, sponsored by Delegate Martin G. Madden, would require any commercially produced video to be open or closed captioned before it can enter the rental or retail sales markets in Maryland. Since movie theatres are not accessible for the 385,000 deaf and hard of hearing residents of Maryland, deaf people generally must watch open or closed captioned videotapes instead. In spite of this, it has been documented that of the approximately 40,000 videos available for sale or rent, only 5,000 are captioned. Furthermore, every month 400 more videos are released, but only 60 of those have captions.
    How your reader can make a personal difference
    We have long admired your strong leadership and commitment to issues relative to the diverse needs of individuals with disabilities. Accordingly, we would be extremely grateful if you would join us on this special day to send a strong message to the Maryland legislators and the general public about the strong need for captioned videos.
    Thanks, and contact information
    Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need additional information. I can be reached at work, (202) 651-5315 (Voice/TTY), or by fax at (202) 651-5463. Thank you for your time and consideration.
    Sincerely,
    Harvey Goodstein
    Harvey Goodstein, Ph. D.
    President

تاريخ عضويت
    Jun 2006
    محل سكونت
    esfahan
    پست ها

پيش فرض School Letters

Do you have a party coming up? Has a meeting been scheduled and needs to be posted? Has enrollment been declining and you want to recruit new members?

This section will help you write effective and attention getting notices to your fellow students.

Guidelines for writing organization and club notices:

Keep the information as brief as possible. Include the name of your organization, date, time, place, type of gathering, and if any refreshments or food will be served.

If you are advertising an event for which tickets will be sold, include the ticket price and sales dates.

If the event is for the general public, indicate that all people are welcome, not just members. Let them know that you look forward to seeing them at the gathering.

If the event is for club members only, then messages should be sent personally by email or by mail.

However, since some students don't read their email, or they just ignore messages they think may be junk mail, it's probably better to send a message through regular mail.
    If the event is for a club with a very large membership, meeting notices may be posted in a public place.
    When creating flyers, include graphics and bright colors to catch students' attention. It is easy for people to ignore flyers because they see so many of them during the day. Try to make yours stand out.

تاريخ عضويت
    Jun 2006
    محل سكونت
    esfahan
    پست ها

پيش فرض examples

Party Announcement

Traveling Student's Club
    Appreciation Party

Thursday May 6, 1999

4:00 pm- 8:00 pm

Multipurpose Room, Ely Center

All Welcome!

Refreshments Provided
    ---------------------
    Announcement for Member Meeting: Email
    Traveling Student's Club
    Please attend our bimonthly member meeting:

Date: Tuesday April 5

Time: 5-6 pm

Where: HMB A101

Agenda: Discuss upcoming Appreciation Party, vote for our next travel destination.

We hope to see you there!

تاريخ عضويت
    Jun 2006
    محل سكونت
    esfahan
    پست ها

پيش فرض Work-Related Letters

Cover Letters

If you are applying for a job that requires you to submit a resume, you should include a cover letter with your resume and application.
    The purpose of the cover letter is to:

introduce yourself to the employer

indicate which position you are applying for;

explain why you are interested in that specific position;

direct their attention toward information on your resume that is of particular relevance to the position.

Guidelines for writing cover letters:

Do your homework! Modify your letter to fit the company and their needs. Include any information appropriate to the job you are applying for.

Show concern, interest, and pride for your profession and your skills.

State briefly what is enclosed. If there are several items, list them. Keep the letter simple and to the point. Tell the truth. Don't try to be overly friendly, but don't be too remote either.

Include your telephone number or numbers where you can be contacted. When writing the letter, address the person you are sending it to, not to a title.

Indicate any response you are expecting from the company. Ask for the next step, such as an interview or some other meeting.

Cover letters that are sent to job search firms or employment agencies should include your current or expected salary if requested and note if you are willing to relocate.

Add relay information if you are deaf/ hard-of-hearing and your prospective employer is hearing. Be sure to briefly explain how to use the relay service.

تاريخ عضويت
    Jun 2006
    محل سكونت
    esfahan
    پست ها

پيش فرض examples

Sample of cover letter to a newspaper advertisement for a summer job:

Rosalie Yates
    139 Central Park Avenue ? Anytown, DC 20000
    (202) 555-0231

7 March 1999
    Patrick Straub
    Personell Manager
    XYZ Company
    445 N. 45th St.
    New York, NY 60045

Dear Mr. Straub:
    I was excited to see your advertisement for a summer intern. An internship with your company would be a perfect opportunity to develop my skills as a _______ major at _________ University.
    My professional capabilities would make me an asset to your company. For example, my experience with _________ adequately prepares me to ________ for XYZ this summer.
    I would greatly benefit from working with knowledgeable professionals in my field of study, and working for XYZ would provide such an opportunity.
    I would love to be part of your team. I am available to meet with you at your earliest convenience. You can contact me at the address and phone number above, or at [ برای مشاهده لینک ، با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ] .
    Thank you for your consideration.
    Sincerely,
    Rosalie Yates
    Rosalie Yates
    Resume included

تاريخ عضويت
    Jun 2006
    محل سكونت
    esfahan
    پست ها

پيش فرض How to Write a Cover Letter

A cover letter accompanies your resume and introduces you to the employer. In the letter, explain where you learned about the job, tell why you are interested, and highlight what parts of your background make you most qualified for the position. You also can include specific information about how you can be contacted in case the exployer would like to interview you. A bad cover letter can tempt the employer to put aside your resume without even reading it.

Most important, your cover letter should not have any spelling or grammatical mistakes. Strong cover letters refer to past experience using action verbs and identify specific accomplishments that will be of most interest to the
    ------------------------

examples

Guidelines for Application (Cover) Letter

Your Present Address
    City, State, Zip Code
    Date of Letter

Individual's Name
    Title
    Organization
    Street Address
    City, State, Zip Code

Dear ____________________: (Use Mr./Ms. and last name only)

FIRST PARAGRAPH. Indicate the reason for writing, the specific position or type of work for which your are applying, and how you learned of the opening (placement center, news media, friend, employment service).

SECOND PARAGRAPH (most important paragraph). Explain why you are interested in the position, the organization, its products or services, and what you can do for the employer. If a recent graduate, explain how your academic background qualifies you for the position. If you have some practical work experience, point out specific achievements or unique qualifications. Do not repeat word for word the same information in your resume.

THIRD PARAGRAPH. Refer the reader to the enclosed resume, which summarizes your qualifications, training, and experience. NOTE: Paragraphs two and three can be combined if very short.

FINAL PARAGRAPH. Indicate your desire for an interview. You can suggest possible dates and times, especially if you plan to be in that city, or mention that you are flexible about scheduling. Repeat your phone number in the letter and offer any assistance for a speedy response. If you are depending on a phone relay, it is a good idea to explain how this works to a hearing exployer. Close your letter with a statement or question that will encourage a response; for example, mention that you will call on a certain date to see about setting up an interview. Or, ask if the company will be recruiting in your area or if the employer desires additional information or reference.

Sincerely yours,
    (Your Handwritten Signature)
    (Type your Name)

Enclosure (Indicates that resume, application, etc., are enclosed.)

Thread Information