تاريخ عضويت
    Sep 2006
    محل سكونت
    تهران
    پست ها

پيش فرض

But I think it should be:

You always ought to tell him the truth.

Doesn't adverbs like always come beforre the main verb?

تاريخ عضويت
    Oct 2007
    محل سكونت
    INFERNO
    پست ها

پيش فرض

i know the correct answer but you are both wrong my dear friends .any other idea about this sentence pls think more and again say your idea

تاريخ عضويت
    May 2006
    محل سكونت
    اون سر دنیا
    پست ها

پيش فرض

You ought always to tell him the truth

Albeit, I think always is an adverb and its position in the sentence is somehow arbitrary, though I think the best position is after the auxiliary verb

تاريخ عضويت
    Oct 2007
    محل سكونت
    INFERNO
    پست ها

پيش فرض

you are right mr @mir and i think the same as you but in exams its better to use that structure reference
    زبان انگليسي از دبيرستان تا دانشگاه تا ليف عباس فرزام
    its a good book i recommand it no advertising purpose bye yours sincerely jinn's king

تاريخ عضويت
    Oct 2007
    محل سكونت
    INFERNO
    پست ها

پيش فرض

hi guys pls tell me what's wrong with this sentence(the prettiest girl in our class with long brown hair and brown eyes)and what about the following one
    venomous snakes with modified teeth connected to poison glands in which the venom is secreted and stored
    waiting foe reply
    so long

تاريخ عضويت
    May 2006
    محل سكونت
    اون سر دنیا
    پست ها

پيش فرض

hi guys pls tell me what's wrong with this sentence(the prettiest girl in our class with long brown hair and brown eyes)and what about the following one
    venomous snakes with modified teeth connected to poison glands in which the venom is secreted and stored
    waiting foe reply
    so long

I'm going to ignore the fact that they are not sentences, because they have no predicate verbs

The problem is that the modifying phrases are dangling. they are not next to the noun they are modifying and hence the meaning is unclear.

in the first sentence, it sounds like the class has long brown hair and brown eyes, not the girl. It should read "In our class the girl with the long brown hair and eyes is the prettiest or The girl with the long brown hair and eyes is the prettiest one in our class.

in the second sentence, the venom is secreted and stored in the teeth, but it sounds like it's saying that happens in the glands.
    Venomous snakes, with modified teeth, which are connected to poison glands where the venom is secreted and stored....

See what I mean, Jelly bean?
    Last edited by mir@; 13-10-2007 at 23:48.

تاريخ عضويت
    Oct 2007
    محل سكونت
    INFERNO
    پست ها

پيش فرض

you are exactly right none of these terms contain main verb so we cant call them sentence then there is no need to discuss about them well done mr professor thank you very very much

now guys pay attention to this sentence "Walter Hunt,although was not credited for many of his inventions,is known for the invention of safety-pin"pls give reason why its not correct

pains of love be sweeter far than all other pleasure are

jinn's knig

تاريخ عضويت
    Oct 2007
    محل سكونت
    INFERNO
    پست ها

پيش فرض helping request

hi my dear friends pls tell me is there any way to get the dialogue of movies i mean the words saying in the movies as you know there are so many sites that provide us song lyrics what about movie's dialogue is there any site thatprovide us movie dialogue
    thanks pls lend me a hand

تاريخ عضويت
    May 2006
    محل سكونت
    اون سر دنیا
    پست ها

پيش فرض

you are exactly right none of these terms contain main verb so we cant call them sentence then there is no need to discuss about them well done mr professor thank you very very much

now guys pay attention to this sentence "Walter Hunt,although was not credited for many of his inventions,is known for the invention of safety-pin"pls give reason why its not correct

pains of love be sweeter far than all other pleasure are

jinn's knig

Hi amico,
    In your sentence, the word "was" is redundant. Only one verb is needed. Also, add "the" before safety-pin

hi my dear friends pls tell me is there any way to get the dialogue of movies i mean the words saying in the movies as you know there are so many sites that provide us song lyrics what about movie's dialogue is there any site thatprovide us movie dialogue
    thanks pls lend me a hand

There are a lot of web sites in which you can find movie subtitles, such as:
    کد:
    برای مشاهده محتوا ، لطفا وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید
    and many others

تاريخ عضويت
    Sep 2005
    محل سكونت
    تهران
    پست ها

پيش فرض

Hello my dear friends;

There I have some problem with the structure of these sentences and I don't know which one is correct in each case:

Case #1

I would rather not speaking that way

OR

I would rather not to speak that way

Case #2

I would rather prefer to travel by train

OR

I would rather to travel / traveling by train.

(The point in case #2 is that if it is correct to use the word PREFER inside this structure or it would be enough if we just omit it and make the sentence without that word in one of the structures in case #1 ? )

Thanks kindly and I'll appreciate your help a lot.

Best of Luck

Thread Information