mohsen57
21-04-2006, 01:04
Which one of these sentence are true?

When did you arrive?
When did you arrived?

Marichka
21-04-2006, 01:41
Hi
I think none of them are correct because the verb "arrive" is always being used with verb "has" or "had" not did. I mean we use it as passive form.

Ofcourse I am not sure about this and waiting for someone to guide me through.

:happy:

Reza1969
21-04-2006, 02:03

When did you arrive?
When did you arrived?
Hi Mohsen

The first sentence is correct. Because when you want to make a question using simple past tense, you have to use the verb in its simple form inside the question.

Yours

Reza
;)

Marichka
21-04-2006, 02:10
Hi Mohsen

The first sentence is correct. Because when you want to make a question using simple past tense, you have to use the verb in its simple form inside the question.

Yours

Reza
;)

Hi
I could be wrong but don't you think when we say "I arrived at somewhere or ect." we don't actually do an action? but describe a situation? which should be in some different way?
I don't know If I explain my meaning clear :sad:
please inform me about this cause now it's getting really interesting to me :rolleye:

Reza1969
21-04-2006, 02:26
Hi
I could be wrong but don't you think when we say "I arrived at somewhere or ect." we don't actually do an action? but describe a situation? which should be in some different way?
I don't know If I explain my meaning clear :sad:
please inform me about this cause now it's getting really interesting to me :rolleye:

Dear Dianella

It's as easy as ABC & I wonder why you get it the wrong way.

Look.The question is about the action of arriving & specially its time. When you reach or get to a place, you actually arrive there. Now if you wanna say the time of doing this action, sure you'll say:

I arrived in Tehran yesterday ( like : I saw this movie yesterday )

Now the question form of the above sentence:

When did you arrive in Tehran? ( like : When did you see this movie )

And more friendly : When did you arrive?

I hope it's all clear now
;)

Marichka
21-04-2006, 02:54
Hi
thanks alot for clearing this up!
I don't know what's happening to me! :blink:
maybe it's an effect of stay late at night :blush: .
anyway thanks again and good night :blush: :)

*NashenaS*
21-04-2006, 03:07
Hi Mohsen

Yours

Reza
;)
agreed :)

nimo
21-04-2006, 08:09

When did you arrive?
When did you arrived?

hmmm just 1 more thing i need to pick on. we don't say true. the sentence is correct not true

un4giv3n
21-04-2006, 10:29
I think No.1!?!!

mozhgan
21-04-2006, 11:35
I m agree NO.1 too
really,dear dianella your signature is very beautiful and graceful.

mohsen57
21-04-2006, 12:04
Thanks so much

Marichka
21-04-2006, 14:13
I m agree NO.1 too
really,dear dianella your signature is very beautiful and graceful.
[LEFT]
Thanks dear mozhgan. That's kind of you :blush: :)

caspiaan
14-05-2006, 15:32
i think 1st one is correct

ashkanbuffon
22-05-2006, 16:21
[LEFT]
Thanks dear mozhgan. That's kind of you :blush: :)
Hi dear Dianella
I think the sentence you've written is wrong :biggrin:
I think the correct form should be : That's your kind

mohammad.clergyman
24-05-2006, 10:41
In the name of God

as you know there are two methods to tell an adjective for a noun
for example you say :english teacher
or you say : teacher of english
now I've there questions

؟which of them is common among english speakers

؟which of them is correct

؟in all which of them is better

thanks alot

Guys, I have an idea. Let's correct each other's structures and words in sentences( specially mine ). First me:

PLEASE USE -WANT TO & GOING TO- INSTEAD OF WANNA AND GONNA IN WRITING

Reza1969
24-05-2006, 14:54
Hi Mohammad

Take a good look at these examples:

1. The door of the class
2. The class door

3. The products of this factory
4. This factory's products

If you have a problem with possession in English, I have to say that it can be said in different ways:

- Using possessive " s " for animate nouns like : Ali's books
- Using noun and noun structure for inanimate nouns like : door handle

However, there are ome exceptions in using possessive " s " like using it for some inanimate nouns like:

cow's milk-the cat's food-tomorrow's weather

Just be carefull when you want to use noun+noun structure as sometimes the meaning changes by the structure. Have these :

A bottle of milk ( A bottle full of milk )
A milk bottle ( A bottle used for milk, an empty bottle )

The frequency of sentencs 2 is more than number 1.

mohammad.clergyman
24-05-2006, 23:30
I appreciate you because you qualify as a moderator

Marichka
12-06-2006, 13:51
Hello all :)
As I searched EFL forum there was no such topic as some place to ask about our grammatical problems. So I permanently created this one to obtain this purpose. But if there is such topic in here with a different name please omit this one as soon as possible :blush:
Anyway the first problem is mine myself about the grammer of "being terminated".
I don't know when we say for example "program terminated" what do we translate it in persian?
I mean is it :
برنامه پايان يافت.
or:
به برنامه پايان داده شد.

And if the second is correct so why the structure of the sentence is not passive? I mean shouldn't we say "Program has been terminated?
And other than that what would be the structure of the sentence when we want to say:
من به برنامه پايان دادم
Is it:
I terminated the program

Generally if you would explain whatever you now about phrase "terminate" please I will appreciate your help kindly :)

Good Luck
Dianella ;)

Ali
12-06-2006, 15:26
Hello dear Dianella :)
Yes, as you said there was not such a topic in EFL Forum.
So thanks for creating it .

Dear Dianella in my opinion the right answer is the first one,
because it is mostly recommended in translating passive senteces to convert passive form into active. I mean it should have been translated
"برنامه پايان يافت"
if the original text had been "Program has been terminated", let alone this case that the original text itself is active !:rolleye:
for example in the following sentence :
"Some of the soldiers were decorated and the others highly praised."
the usual translation is :
به برخي از سربازان مدال داده شد و از بقيه بسيار قدرداني شد.
You can see that these kinds of sentences are not that much respectful and good and does not seem "Original Persian". So it's better to translate it into active :
به برخي از آنها مدال دادند و از بقيه بسيار قدرداني كردند

I hope I could have transfered what I meant . :)

Wish You Success

*NashenaS*
12-06-2006, 16:16
برای مشاهده محتوا ، لطفا وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید

Marichka
12-06-2006, 23:30
Hello dear Dianella :)
Yes, as you said there was not such a topic in EFL Forum.
So thanks for creating it .

Dear Dianella in my opinion the right answer is the first one,
because it is mostly recommended in translating passive senteces to convert passive form into active. I mean it should have been translated
"برنامه پايان يافت"
if the original text had been "Program has been terminated", let alone this case that the original text itself is active !:rolleye:
for example in the following sentence :
"Some of the soldiers were decorated and the others highly praised."
the usual translation is :
به برخي از سربازان مدال داده شد و از بقيه بسيار قدرداني شد.
You can see that these kinds of sentences are not that much respectful and good and does not seem "Original Persian". So it's better to translate it into active :
به برخي از آنها مدال دادند و از بقيه بسيار قدرداني كردند

I hope I could have transfered what I meant . :)

Wish You Success

Hello Dear Ali :)
Thank you very much for clearing this up to me. I surely got your meaning and Beside my main question I learnt a hint in translating. But I think I was not be able to explain what I meant so clearly; You see, mostly I wanted to know this kind of structure "Program terminated" is cathegorized in which form of sentence-passive or active? Because it is something common in english speaking yet there is no verb in it. And from this point of view how should it be translated? And maybe it would be better to say is it just a routin way to shorten the main structure "The program has been terminated" in speaking (not writing) matters or is it some special structure that although its appearence is passive, translates into active form?
Thanks again dear Ali for your time and care :)

Hi well... The way you translated those topics i tought u're the god! but its okay cant expect... em... about ur Q. am/is/are/was/were/ can be used when u're talking about something being done by something/someone else... E.g. The program was terminated (by who/wat...?) --> & it's passive and you have the option of eliminating the "فاعل" and it's translated as: برنامه (به وسیله) من/اون/ما/شما ... پایان یافت. but when u say I terminated the program --> it's active and you're the "فاعل" and it's translated as: من/اون/ما/شما... به اون برنامه پایان داد(ی)م.. i know its a bit difficult to translate in its original form but it'll get more complicated when it comes to "been/being" stuff. anyways, all the best. bye 4 now.

Dear Ashkan :)
Thank you for your time and caring about my question.
First I must say I am not God just Dianella :happy: ;)
And second is that I already know the structures you have explaind here. As you see above that is my question and sorry if I coudn't explain in clearly :blush:
If you have any examples of usage of the exaclt phrase "Program terminated" in anywhere (like movies) please let me know.
I myself have one--in the movie "I robot" if you have seen it before.

Thank you all again and
Best of luck :)

Ali
13-06-2006, 01:50
Dear Dianella,
I think my penny is dropped !:happy:
The phrase "Program Terminated" is active itself, but the verb "Terminate" is either active or passive .So it's definition in persian is both "پايان دادن" and "پايان يافتن". So that's why the sentence "Program Terminated" is right.

And about the structure of omiting "has/have been" in speaking forms; I have to say that,yes , it is common .

I have seen the error "Program Terminated" many times while working with computer. specially when the PC is infected with viruses or while working with different softwares when they have been badly written!

Marichka
13-06-2006, 21:10
Dear Dianella,
I think my penny is dropped !:happy:
The phrase "Program Terminated" is active itself, but the verb "Terminate" is either active or passive .So it's definition in persian is both "پايان دادن" and "پايان يافتن". So that's why the sentence "Program Terminated" is right.

And about the structure of omiting "has/have been" in speaking forms; I have to say that,yes , it is common .

I have seen the error "Program Terminated" many times while working with computer. specially when the PC is infected with viruses or while working with different softwares when they have been badly written!

Hello Dear Ali :)
Thank you.
I think finally I find the right answer to the question which was in my mind for a while :tongue:
Hope you best of fortune in every moment of your life
Dianella :laughing:

Behzad.master
13-06-2006, 21:24
Hi all
We can also say the program has terminated

Reza1969
14-06-2006, 23:51
Hi Dianella ( and the others as well ;) )

Sorry I came to your question pretty late. :blush: I think you & the other pals have missed a point here (I mean in your question). Look! verbs in English are two kinds: Transitive( the ones which need an object) & Intransitive( the ones which don't need an object):

Transitive : See

I see a man.

Intransitive: cry

He cried a lot in the morning.

But there are some special verbs( like Terminate ) which are both transitive & intransitive.I mean they can be used with & without an object. On the other hand, we know that it's impossible to make a passive sentence by an intransitive verb( because all passive sentences are made by transitive verbs):

He was seen yesterday.
But NOT: I was cried.

So, when we see that a word like " terminate " is both transitive & intransitive, it means this word-when intransitive- can be used in active form without an object( like the example you've written up there):

Program terminated.

Now the problem is that in the above sentence wether the program is the subject or someone else.Since it is in active voice, we can say that the best translation for it is : برنامه پايان يافت.
Because it were passive, it would have had its auxiliary verb " was ".
However, it's true that the frequency of using passive voice in English (specially in formal texts is more than in Persian) and it's always recommended to change passive structures in English to active in Persian, if possible, to make the translation of the text sound more Persian rather than English.

Another hint:

If you wanna know more about the usage of such multi-functional verbs, you'd better take a look at the following sentence:

This book sells well.

Which translatin sounds correct:

اين كتاب خوب مي فروشد or اين كتاب خوب فروش مي رود.

You see! In this example it's preety easy to say which translation is correct but in you example, considering the fact that the fact that the word " program " can act as a subject and as an agent as well, it's pretty difficult to decide between those two translations unless you check the sentences before & after it.

Some more examples(exerpted from Oxford Advanced Leaner's Dictionary):

Your contract of employment terminates in December.
The agreement was terminated immediately.

I hope the problem is a bit lightened now.

Waiting for your comments if you have any.
;) :)

Marichka
15-06-2006, 12:53
Hello Dear Mr. Reza
Thank you for your guidance in here.
From the whole text of your post I understood a few things:
1- Regarding to this part:

So, when we see that a word like " terminate " is both transitive & intransitive, it means this word-when intransitive- can be used in active form without an object( like the example you've written up there): Program terminated.

The example "program terminated" is active itself in english and it is not a shortened phrase of the main passive structure" The program has been terminated".

2-In the example of computer mulfunction -brought here by dear Ali- the word "program" is agent according to number 1 of my statement here.

3- and regarding this part:

You see! In this example it's preety easy to say which translation is correct but in you example, considering the fact that the fact that the word " program " can act as a subject and as an agent as well, it's pretty difficult to decide between those two translations unless you check the sentences before & after it.

In case of translating such sentences we should consider the role of the special word-word "program" in here- to find out if it's used as object or agent in the whole text.

Thank you very much dear Mr. Reza and if my statements in here are correct it means that I have compeletly understood your meaning. :happy:
Best of fortune
Dianella :)

Marichka
03-07-2006, 00:42
Hello
I would like to ask you about some strange structure which I have lately found.
How do you classify this sentence:

Does his shouting not bother you?

I mean is it an old british way to ask something or what?

thanks a lot :)
Good Luck

پرنس
17-07-2006, 00:43
hello my freiends
i wrote this text can anyone tell me my mistakes

this is the first thing that writ in engilsh here, so if i havie a lot of mistake please forgive me
i am i n sofrron walden now - it is a small city between london and combridge- and i stay in bell international
wheater of here is similar keardasht city
there is about handred student from dffrent countiries like
italy,spanesh,china,kowait,mxico,brazil,switherlan d and of course iran in this anstitute
new course of this anstitude going to be start tomarrow
i hope that my writing would be much better at the end of this course
thanks a lot

hamed79
17-07-2006, 01:01
this is the first thing that I wrote in engilsh here, so if i have a lot of mistakes, please forgive me
i am in sofrron walden now - it is a small city between london and combridge- and i stay in bell international
wheater here is similar to keardasht city
there is about one handred students from dffrent countiries like
italy,spanesh,china,kowait,mexico,brazil,switherla nd and of course iran in this anstitute
new course of this anstitude will start tomarrow
i hope that my writing would be much better at the end of this course

Edited by the manager

Reza1969
17-07-2006, 22:30
Hello my freiends.
I've written this text. Can anyone tell me my mistakes?
Thanks a lot.
Here is the edited text: :)

This is the first thing that I try to write in English here and forgive me if you find lots of mistakes in it. I live in Sofrron Walden now. It's a small city between London & Cambridge. I stay in Bell International. The weather here is similar to that of Keardasht. There are about a hundred students from different countries like Italy, Spain, China, Kuwait, Mexico, Brazil, Switzerland, and also Iran at this institute. The new course of the institute is going to start tomorrow. I hope my writing will be much better at the end of this course.

پرنس
18-07-2006, 23:50
thanks a lot my dears hamed & Reza.
but i have a question.
are you sure that this sentence is true:
"The weather here is similar to that of Keardasht."?
thanks a lot.

Edited

Reza1969
19-07-2006, 00:01
but i have a question.
thanks a lot.

Edited
Hi buddy

I'm not sure but dead sure that it's right.

Yours

Reza
;)

hamed79
20-07-2006, 03:00
yes I think so
reza is dead true!

shoeib
27-07-2006, 05:09
but i have a question.
thanks a lot.

Edited
hi
yes "to that of" is completely true
i'm sure that i've seen it somewhere

mohammad.clergyman
27-07-2006, 14:57
but i have a question.
thanks a lot.

Edited

Yeah it is a perfect structure

it shows reza's power of using nice structures

you mentioned your institue

can we get some informations about it

thanks a lot

rezamjir
27-07-2006, 19:25
hello my freiends
i wrote this text can anyone tell me my mistakes

thanks a lot

This is the first thing I am writing in English here and forgive me if you find lots of mistakes in it. I live in Sofrron Walden now. It's a small city between London & Cambridge. I stay in Bell International. The weather here is similar to that of Keardasht. There are about a hundred students from different countries like Italy, Spain, China, Kuwait, Mexico, Brazil, Switzerland, and also Iran at this institute. The new course of the institute is going to start tomorrow. I hope my writing will be much better at the end of this course.

Hi Reza

What's the use of a copied post?
:blink:

amintnt
05-08-2006, 03:11
Here is the edited text: :)

This is the first thing that I try to write in English here and forgive me if you find lots of mistakes in it. I live in Sofrron Walden now. It's a small city between London & Cambridge. I stay in Bell International. The weather here is similar to that of Keardasht. There are about a hundred students from different countries like Italy, Spain, China, Kuwait, Mexico, Brazil, Switzerland, and also Iran at this institute. The new course of the institute is going to start tomorrow. I hope my writing will be much better at the end of this course.
Don't u think that if the first part were like this it was better?
This is the first thing that i've tried to write in english here and excuse me if u find lots mistakes in it.
it can be " i try to write" but i think that "I've tried" shoud be better. and the word forgive used to tell u r sorry about sth bad such as sin. but here excuse me is better to raplace with. :) (maybe i'm wrong)

rezamjir
05-08-2006, 16:59
This is the first thing that i've tried to write in english here and excuse me if u find lots mistakes in it.
it can be " i try to write" but i think that "I've tried" shoud be better. and the word forgive used to tell u r sorry about sth bad such as sin. but here excuse me is better to raplace with. :) (maybe i'm wrong)

In my opinion excuse me is mostly used when we want to get someone's attention or interrupt sb or push a person in a crowd , but when we say forgive me , it means stop being angry towards me or blaming me . In this sentence the writer asks the readers to stop blaming him because of not having enough experience of english language . and in the first part of the writing I think the present continuous could be right

amintnt
05-08-2006, 22:53
In my opinion excuse me is mostly used when we want to get someone's attention or interrupt sb or push a person in a crowd , but when we say forgive me , it means stop being angry towards me or blaming me . In this sentence the writer asks the readers to stop blaming him because of not having enough experience of english language . and in the first part of the writing I think the present continuous could be right
Yeah. Maybe u r right.but my opinion still doesn't change. thanks for ur answer.bye :)

mohammad.clergyman
06-08-2006, 09:49
======================

I think Reza seems to be right

Thank you

amintnt I think You should try to fine the best openion Maybe sometimes Your idea is not correct

Best Regards

Reza1969
06-08-2006, 17:02
Hi Amin :)

Thanks for your attention.

In addition to your structure, we can also say: "This is the first time I'm trying to write in English." or "This is my first writing in English."

And about the second point, I have to say that if you use "Excuse me", your writhing will sound more informal. So you'd better say something like this: "Please excuse my (probable) mistakes."

However, I see eye to eye with rezamjir. :happy:

And also, this sentence is not correct: :blush:

Corrected form:

Don't you think that if the first part were like this, it would be better?

Yours

Reza
;)

amintnt
06-08-2006, 20:36
Hi Amin :)

Thanks for your attention.

In addition to your structure, we can also say: "This is the first time I'm trying to write in English." or "This is my first writing in English."

And about the second point, I have to say that if you use "Excuse me", your writhing will sound more informal. So you'd better say something like this: "Please excuse my (probable) mistakes."

However, I see eye to eye with rezamjir. :happy:

And also, this sentence is not correct: :blush:

Corrected form:

Don't you think that if the first part were like this, it would be better?

Yours

Reza
;)

Hi. All of u say that i'm wrong. so im wrong :biggrin: . No DOUBT. and about that mistake of me. Yeah, It sound that u r right.

Marichka
03-09-2006, 12:07
Hello All :rolleye:
I need your help with some word structure. I guess you know the word "Unstopable", Don't you? Now I wonder if there is such a form of this word with this structure:
"Unstopablly"

Thanks for you help
Good Luck :)

سفید
07-10-2006, 20:45
unstoppable
One entry found for unstoppable.

Main Entry: un·stop·pa·ble
Pronunciation: -'stä-p&-b&l
Function: adjective
: incapable of being stopped <an unstoppable army> <an unstoppable rise to power>
- un·stop·pa·bly /-blE/ adverb

[ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ] ([ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ])

I found this in Merriam Webster's Online Dictionary.

Mitamo
12-10-2006, 21:37
How many noun clauses and how many adjective clasues are included in this text?

Thanks

The topic was edited

The control of fire was the first and perhaps greatest of humanity’s steps towards a life-enhancing technology.

To early man fire was a divine gift randomly delivered in the form of lighting forest fire or burning lava.

Unable to make flame for themselves, the earliest peoples probably stored fire by keeping slow-burning logs alight or by carrying charcoal in pots.

How and where man learnt how to produce flame at will is unknown.

It was probably a secondary Invention, accidentally made during tool-making operations with wood or stone.

Studies of primitive societies suggest that the earliest method of making fire was through friction European peasants would insert a wooden drill in a round hole and rotate it briskly between their palms.

This process could be speeded up by wrapping a cord around the drill and pulling on each end.

The Ancient Greeks usual lenses or concave mirrors to concentrate the sun’s rays and burning glasses were also used by Mexican Aztecs and the Chinese.

Percussion methods of fire lighting date back to Paleolithic times, when some Stone Age tool-makers discovered that chipping flints produced sparks the technique became more efficient after the discovery of iron, about 5000 years ago.

In Arctic North America, the Eskimos produced a slow-burning spark by striking quarts against iron pyrites, a compound that contains sulphur.

The Chinese lit their fires by striking porcelain with bamboo.

In Europe, the combination of steel, flint and tinder remained the main method of fire-lighting until the mid-19th century.

Fire-lighting was revolutionized by the discovery of phosphorus, isolated in 1669 by a German alchemist trying to transmute silver into gold.

Impressed by the element’s combustibility, several 17th century chemists used it to manufacture fire-lighting devices, but the results were dangerously inflammable.

With phosphorus costing the equivalent of several hundred pounds per ounce, the first matches were expensive.

The quest for a practical match really began after 1781 when a group of French chemists came up with the phosphoric candle or Ethereal Match, a sealed glass tube containing a twist of paper tipped with phosphorus.

When the tube was broken, air rushed in, causing the phosphorus to self combust.

Reza1969
13-10-2006, 22:08
Dear Blue_Moon

Please pay attention to the regulations of this forum before leaving your post. You're not allowed to writre in Persian in English forum.

About your question,

I can tell you in this way that a noun clause is a kind of clause which comes in a sentence and can act as the subject or object of that sentence like

I know that coffee grows in Brazil.(noun clause as the object of the sentence)

How he gets the money is his own affair.(noun clause as the subject of the sentence)

But an adjective clause is a clause that comes after a noun to complete its meaning.It's sometimes called a relative clause, too. Like

This is the year when the Olympic games are held.

He paid the man whom he had hired.

This is the girl whose picture you saw.

Now in your text, I've marked the adjective clasues with blue color and the noun clasuses with red one. And you'd better know that sometimes an adjective or a noun clause may contain another noun or adjective clause.

The control of fire was the first and perhaps greatest of humanity’s steps towards a life-enhancing technology.

To early man fire was a divine gift randomly delivered in the form of lighting forest fire or burning lava.

Unable to make flame for themselves, the earliest peoples probably stored fire by keeping slow-burning logs alight or by carrying charcoal in pots.

How and where man learnt how to produce flame at will is unknown.

It was probably a secondary Invention, accidentally made during tool-making operations with wood or stone.

Studies of primitive societies suggest that the earliest method of making fire was through friction European peasants would insert a wooden drill in a round hole and rotate it briskly between their palms.

This process could be speeded up by wrapping a cord around the drill and pulling on each end.

The Ancient Greeks usual lenses or concave mirrors to concentrate the sun’s rays and burning glasses were also used by Mexican Aztecs and the Chinese.

Percussion methods of fire lighting date back to Paleolithic times, when some Stone Age tool-makers discovered that chipping flints produced sparks the technique became more efficient after the discovery of iron, about 5000 years ago.

In Arctic North America, the Eskimos produced a slow-burning spark by striking quarts against iron pyrites, a compound that contains sulphur.

The Chinese lit their fires by striking porcelain with bamboo.

In Europe, the combination of steel, flint and tinder remained the main method of fire-lighting until the mid-19th century.

Fire-lighting was revolutionized by the discovery of phosphorus, isolated in 1669 by a German alchemist trying to transmute silver into gold.

Impressed by the element’s combustibility, several 17th century chemists used it to manufacture fire-lighting devices, but the results were dangerously inflammable.

With phosphorus costing the equivalent of several hundred pounds per ounce, the first matches were expensive.

The quest for a practical match really began after 1781 when a group of French chemists came up with the phosphoric candle or Ethereal Match, a sealed glass tube containing a twist of paper tipped with phosphorus.

When the tube was broken, air rushed in, causing the phosphorus to self combust.

amoz
15-10-2006, 06:58
I have a test about gramer.Please answer it asap & mention your reason

The process uses an innovative digital technology -----------the products which as many colors as the image contains

1-to imprint that

2- that imprinting

3- that imprints

4- that it imprints

5- imprints that

thanks

love-to-learn
15-10-2006, 22:43
I have a test about gramer.Please answer it asap & mention your reason

The process uses an innovative digital technology -----------the products which as many colors as the image contains

1-to imprint that

2- that imprinting

3- that imprints

4- that it imprints

5- imprints that

thanks

Dear Amoz,

I'm not quite sure but I think no. 3 could well fill the gap in your sentence. Because "the products" is the object for imprints and "which...." is the modifier. "imprint" is the verb for "digital technoliogy".

Good luck

Reza1969
15-10-2006, 23:58
Hi dear Amoz

In agreement with love-to-learn, I have to say that item 3 best fits the sentence. Because after the word technologywhich is a noun we can continue the sentence in two ways:

using a realative clause(here a that clause) or an infinitive.

Items 2 & 5 are out of discussion as after thatwe can't use a gerund and the word imprintsin item 5 starts with no subordinator.

Item 1 can't correct as in that case the sentence after thatwould lack a main verb.

And item 4 is not correct because after that in a relative clause we can't use a pronoun.

So we have item 4 left.

amoz
20-10-2006, 06:31
thankyou anyone for answering my question

peyman1987
08-11-2006, 15:54
I think there is a typing mistake in your question.
I think the right sentence is the following one :
The process uses an innovative digital technology -----------the products with as many colors as the image contains.

and the answer is no. 3

thanks

amintnt
12-01-2007, 19:31
Dear Blue_Moon

Please pay attention to the regulations of this forum before leaving your post. You're allowed to writre in Persian in English forum.
.....[/COLOR].

allowed? :laughing: sorry, but i remember u said that here we're not allowed to leave any post in persian! so wt's this? a mistype? I'm sorry :blush: .d

amintnt
12-01-2007, 19:42
friends, i have a gramatical problem. I'm sorry dear Reza, but if i explain it in persian u'll get my meaning better. I've asked some pple abt this, but i got nothing!(Now u're thinking such a fool this guy can be!:D)l
راستش وقتی که میگیم The window is broken یعنی اینکه پنجره شکسته میشه؟ یا شکسته شده؟ این استمراری دیگه نه؟ پس باید بشه شکسته میشه! اما خوب بعضیا که من پرسیدم گفتن که شکسته شده. حتی بعضی جاها هم معنی به حال استمراری(مجهول) نمیخوره. یعنی همون شکسته شده بیشتر به معنی میخوره. حالا اگر اینو بگیریم شکسته شده، پس the window has been broken چی کارست؟این یعنی اینکه پنجره شکسته شده. درست میگم؟ نمیدونم منظورمو گرفتین یا نه. ممنون میشم یه توضیحی بدین.

Seems no one here have a grammatical problem! it's been a long time which no post has been sent here! it's quite abandoned!( are these passive forms correct?:D)d

Reza1969
13-01-2007, 03:44
allowed? :laughing: sorry, but i remember u said that here we're not allowed to leave any post in persian! so wt's this? a mistype? I'm sorry :blush: .d

Thanks for your notice, but for trifle matters like this one, you could have used a private message instead of making a post. Right??:blush:

Sec Expert
16-01-2007, 10:49
friends, i have a gramatical problem. I'm sorry dear Reza, but if i explain it in persian u'll get my meaning better. I've asked some pple abt this, but i got nothing!(Now u're thinking such a fool this guy can be!:D)l
راستش وقتی که میگیم The window is broken یعنی اینکه پنجره شکسته میشه؟ یا شکسته شده؟ این استمراری دیگه نه؟ پس باید بشه شکسته میشه! اما خوب بعضیا که من پرسیدم گفتن که شکسته شده. حتی بعضی جاها هم معنی به حال استمراری(مجهول) نمیخوره. یعنی همون شکسته شده بیشتر به معنی میخوره. حالا اگر اینو بگیریم شکسته شده، پس the window has been broken چی کارست؟این یعنی اینکه پنجره شکسته شده. درست میگم؟ نمیدونم منظورمو گرفتین یا نه. ممنون میشم یه توضیحی بدین.

Seems no one here have a grammatical problem! it's been a long time which no post has been sent here! it's quite abandoned!( are these passive forms correct?:D)d

Hello Dear amintnt,
It can be translated into "پنجره شکستس (شکسته می باشد،شکسته هست یا است)" or sometimes into "پنجره شکسته می شود".
However Translation is a very very very complicated process.
Good Luck!

peyman1987
25-03-2007, 05:14

Your sentence is not in present continuous tense.
It is in present perfect tense and it is a passive sentence.
Of course the meaning is "پنجره شکسته شده"

پرنس
05-05-2007, 23:09
hi dears
Could you please tell me my mistakes?

British Library in cooperate with Hotmail, has designed a new project that aims to collect interesting British emails and keep them for the future.They want to show to the next generations that how they parents are using email. I'm not from the next generation, but I've found an interesting email that contains a funny sentence:

Marriage is about the most expensive way for the average man to get laundry done.

Cheers

mir@
05-05-2007, 23:58
hi dears
Could you please tell me my mistakes?

British Library in cooperation with Hotmail, has designed a new project that aims to collect interesting British emails and keep them for the future.They want to show to the next generations that how they parents are using email. I'm not from the next generation, but I've found an interesting email that contains a funny sentence:

Marriage is about the most expensive way for the average man to get laundry done

Cheers

I think it is the only error.
:23:

[ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ]

peyman1987
07-05-2007, 08:37
British Library in cooperation with Hotmail, has designed a new project that aims to collect interesting British emails and keep them for the future.They want to show the next generations that how their parents are using email. I'm not from the next generation, but I've found an interesting email that contains a funny sentence:

Marriage is about the most expensive way for the average man to get laundry done

پرنس
07-05-2007, 19:25
thanks a lot my dears Amir & Peyman.

پرنس
07-05-2007, 19:28
I have been asking this question all the time that "Why people don't use their cell phones as mp3player,camera,etc and use separate devices instead ?".Now that my mobile has broken, I have an answer.It's good to have everything on one thing ,but when it breaks we'll have nothing!

sise
21-05-2007, 14:44
I have been asking this question all the time that "Why people don't use their cell phones as mp3player,camera,etc and use separate devices instead ?".Now that my mobile has broken, I have an answer.It's good to have everything on one thing ,but when it breaks we'll have nothing!

so we must buy different things sepertely since it may break someday??!!

Arash_XL7710i_207
09-06-2007, 01:20
What's the difference between How and What in the following examples:
what a nice car!
how a beautifull day!

amintnt
09-06-2007, 09:03
يه توضيحي در مورد what و how در مورد:
به عنوان مثال:
what a nice car!
how a beautifull day!

Hi dear Arash

I haven't heard something like " How a beautiful day". Instead they say "what a beautiful day" or "such a beautiful day". I exactly don't know the grammer, but it seems to use an adjective after "how"l

Good Luck :happy:l

Reza1969
09-06-2007, 10:35
What's the difference between How and What in the following examples:
what a nice car!
how a beautifull day!

Dear Arash

"How" is usually followed by an adjective :

How strange
How beautiful she is
How nice

But "What" is usually followed by a noun:

What a pretty picture

What a day

What a movie it was

And please don't forget to type in English:46:

Arash_XL7710i_207
09-06-2007, 23:13
oh thanks alot.

behzadjon
01-08-2007, 10:14
hi all
i have an easy question but hrad to answer
which is correct?

it belongs to me

it's belong to me

????

love-to-learn
01-08-2007, 11:12
hi all
i have an easy question but hrad to answer
which is correct?

it belongs to me

it's belong to me

????

Hi dear Behzad,

Of course the first one is correct. Belong is a verb and cannot be used in the form you have written in the second sentence.

When you have a main verb with an auxiliary you use it in "ing" form (depending on the verb and the meaning you want to imply)

Good luck :11:l

bakhishman
12-08-2007, 23:51
hi any body I always have problem with gramer .im not bad in vocabulary good in prunancing and prefect in listening.I dont have a good self confidence in speaking because I afraid of grametic mistake all the time .and right now I dont know if I have any grametic mistake in this small text.

I dont know what to do

peyman1987
19-08-2007, 15:01
You don't have to bother. Just don't care about your mistakes but try to learn from them. You can write your problems here and our friends will help you.

For the first lesson pay attention to the following sentences

1- I am afraid of grammatical mistakes
2- I afraid of grammatic mistakes

After subject you have to use a verb in simple present tense. Here afraid is an adjective not a verb so you have to use "am before it."
]

elendil
20-08-2007, 16:52
I have a problem in Clauses & Phrase

Is that possible for you to help me

Thanks a lot

behnam karami
20-08-2007, 20:54
what is your problem

elendil
21-08-2007, 10:43
I have a problem in noun clause & adjective clause

Could you help me

www.babakebadi.com
23-08-2007, 15:33
I think I have a question to ask!

Please translate these sentences for me and think about the meaning of what you are writing:

The work is done.

And then please compare it with this one:

The work was done.

And then again please translate this one:

The food is ready.

For me there is a confusion! How about you?!

shahrzad2006
23-08-2007, 16:01
I think I have a question to ask!

Please translate these sentences for me and think about the meaning of what you are writing:

The work is done.
کار انجام شده

And then please compare it with this one:

The work was done.

کار انجام شده بود

And then again please translate this one:

The food is ready.

غذا حاضره

For me there is a confusion! How about you?!

sorry but i think there's no confusion

peyman1987
23-08-2007, 17:49
The work is done -> کار انجام شده است.
The work was done -> کار انجام شده بود.
The food is ready -> غذا آماده است.

I don't see any confusions in these sentences.

www.babakebadi.com
26-08-2007, 23:25
There is a confusion

sorry but i think there's no confusion

برای پیدا کردن ابهام ترجمه هایی که زحمت کشیده بودید، اگر ممکن است، این ها را به انگلیسی ترجمه کنید:

کار هر روز ساعت 2 انجام می شود. ( زمان حال ساده)

کار انجام شده است. ( زمان گذشته نقلی)

کار الان در حال انجام شدن است. ( زمان حال استمراری)

و حالا بفرمایید The food is ready آیا هنوز همان غذا حاضر آماده است می شود؟! یا شاید می شود: غذا حاضر می شود.

نکته: از فعل های جایگزین To get یا To Become لطفا استفاده نفرمایید و با همین فعل To be ترجمه نمایید.

اگر هنوز متوجه ابهام نشده اید، من عذر خواهی می کنم.

www.babakebadi.com
26-08-2007, 23:26
how can I delete a message, if I don't want to post it?

Gole_sang
27-08-2007, 07:36
There is a confusion

برای پیدا کردن ابهام ترجمه هایی که زحمت کشیده بودید، اگر ممکن است، این ها را به انگلیسی ترجمه کنید:

کار هر روز ساعت 2 انجام می شود. ( زمان حال ساده)The work is done everyday at 2 o'clock

کار انجام شده است. ( زمان گذشته نقلی)the work has been done

کار الان در حال انجام شدن است. ( زمان حال استمراری)the work is being done

و حالا بفرمایید The food is ready آیا هنوز همان غذا حاضر آماده است می شود؟! یا شاید می شود: غذا حاضر می شود.

نکته: از فعل های جایگزین To get یا To Become لطفا استفاده نفرمایید و با همین فعل To be ترجمه نمایید.

اگر هنوز متوجه ابهام نشده اید، من عذر خواهی می کنم.

I can't find any problem either.
I think ur problem is about simple and continuous present.
Look if it helps u
you can't make a present countionues when your main verb is "to be"
how do you translate these?
I'm hungry!!
i'm tired!!
the food is ready!!!
you're talking about present and that's all
look at this one
It's amazing!!!!
ING form, but it's not a verb.
and I'm a student!!!
you see?
من گرسنمه. مطمئنا همیشه گرسنه نیستی، منظور الانه
من خستم
من دانش آموززززززم (استمراری)
و غذا حاضره. غذا هم همیشه نمی تونه حاضر باشه، فکر کنم در اون صورت یه always لازم داره
و معنی شاید و آینده هم نمیده.
نکته دیگه. ترجمه درست همیشه احتیاج به پترن داره. یعنی تا ندونی کجایی و داری چی میگی، نمیتونی ترجمه 100% درست انجام بدی :46:
(اگه غلط دیکته ای هست ببخشید. من دیکته ام افتضاحه)

Gole_sang
27-08-2007, 08:16
hi any body I always have problem with gramer .im not bad in vocabulary good in prunancing and prefect in listening.I dont have a good self confidence in speaking because I afraid of grametic mistake all the time .and right now I dont know if I have any grametic mistake in this small text.

I dont know what to do

I have this problem ,too.
but these days I'm improving, I'm leaping actually.
If you live in tehran and have some extra time to spend in classes, just send me private msg.
coz I don't like to publicize :5:

arman50cent
27-08-2007, 11:31
oh gosh come on men whats up ithink u take it easy man it s not a big problem i tell ya whats important then alot of manager in tihs room say it simple ok i think u use humor for other poeple in your room

arman50cent
27-08-2007, 11:32
oh gosh come on men whats up ithink u take it easy man it s not a big problem i tell ya whats important then alot of manager in tihs room say it simple ok i think u use humor for other poeple in your room

www.babakebadi.com
28-08-2007, 22:00
I can't find any problem either.
I think ur problem is about simple and continuous present.
Look if it helps u
you can't make a present countionues when your main verb is "to be"
how do you translate these?
I'm hungry!!
i'm tired!!
the food is ready!!!
you're talking about present and that's all
look at this one
It's amazing!!!!
ING form, but it's not a verb.
and I'm a student!!!
you see?
من گرسنمه. مطمئنا همیشه گرسنه نیستی، منظور الانه
من خستم
من دانش آموززززززم (استمراری)
و غذا حاضره. غذا هم همیشه نمی تونه حاضر باشه، فکر کنم در اون صورت یه always لازم داره
و معنی شاید و آینده هم نمیده.
نکته دیگه. ترجمه درست همیشه احتیاج به پترن داره. یعنی تا ندونی کجایی و داری چی میگی، نمیتونی ترجمه 100% درست انجام بدی :46:
(اگه غلط دیکته ای هست ببخشید. من دیکته ام افتضاحه)

you didn't answer my questions, nor translate my requests , but thanks any way.

asef2006
28-08-2007, 23:23
hi
iplease translate my sentence to english
"من ده دقیقه هست که نهار خودم"
i want it be gramatically true and not changing in in words of sentence
thanks

www.babakebadi.com
29-08-2007, 00:24
it is 10 minutes, that I had launch

من ده دقیقه است که نهار خوردم.
or

it is for 10 minutes that I've had launch

من ده دقیقه است که نهار خورده ام.

peyman1987
29-08-2007, 01:26
it is 10 minutes, that I had launch

من ده دقیقه است که نهار خوردم.
or

it is for 10 minutes that I've had launch

من ده دقیقه است که نهار خورده ام.

Dear Babak your sentence is grammatically wrong
We can't say It's for ten minutes that I have had lunch
You can use for for actions which you have started in the past and you want to mention the length of that action. For example:

I had worked in England for ten years.

Maybe it's better to say:
I had lunch ten minutes ago

www.babakebadi.com
29-08-2007, 14:26
Thanks for your direction,
Grammeritacally you are correct, but that's not what people really say.
by the way, thanks again.

Gole_sang
29-08-2007, 16:07
you didn't answer my questions, nor translate my requests , but thanks any way.

Maybe because I can't find out what ur problem is. But I translated urs.
Look at the bold parts in front of ur sentences

Gole_sang
29-08-2007, 16:30
hi
iplease translate my sentence to english
i want it be gramatically true and not changing in in words of sentence
thanks

It's 10 minutes since I had/ate lunch

pattern:
It is/ has been + duration + since + simple past (positive only)

asef2006
29-08-2007, 19:13
the correct form of

is
it has been 10 minutes since i ate lunch

thanks for your help

www.babakebadi.com
30-08-2007, 03:35
There is no exact correct translation, in translation world we try to find the most similar pattern, that's the way it works.

You can't say none of other members respond to you is wrong, nor completely true, actually grammer is a mean to communicate what you mean, and the truth is you can never ever translate what you mean to another language, not as perfect as you think.

www.babakebadi.com
30-08-2007, 14:16
Dear Gole Sang

I apologize, you had translated them for me, but I didn't pay attention, your translattions are completely correct, but I try to describe my question for you again:

The work is done= كار انجام شده است.
The work is done= كار انجام مي شود.

Which one do you pick? and why?

amintnt
30-08-2007, 15:10
Dear Gole Sang

I apologize, you had translated them for me, but I didn't pay attention, your translattions are completely correct, but I try to describe my question for you again:

Hi dear Babak

The work is done= کار انجام میشود

They both are correct but the first one is not used anywhere!. Let me explain by the verb "Annoy"l

She's annoyed

In above sentence the word "annoyed" is an adjective so the sentence is not in passive form and it could be translated :l

" او ناراحت است "

Rather than:l

او ناراحت میشود

Or

او ناراحت شده است.

The first sentence is a Conditional sentence so we've got nothing to do with it here, but the second one could be translated:l

او ناراحت شده است= She's been annoyed

So we can translate the example you gave in two ways

کار انجام شده است

Be careful that the word "Anjam Shode" is an adjective! Not a verb! So it has got no meaning!l

And:

کار انجام میشود

Which is passive and the tense is Present Continuous and its meaning is completely clear!

I hope you've got what I mean!

Good Luck :)l

www.babakebadi.com
30-08-2007, 16:50
Hi dear Babak

The work is done= کار انجام میشود

They both are correct but the first one is not used anywhere!. Let me explain by the verb "Annoy"l

She's annoyed

In above sentence the word "annoyed" is an adjective so the sentence is not in passive form and it could be translated :l

" او ناراحت است "

Rather than:l

او ناراحت میشود

Or

او ناراحت شده است.

The first sentence is a Conditional sentence so we've got nothing to do with it here, but the second one could be translated:l

او ناراحت شده است= She's been annoyed

So we can translate the example you gave in two ways

کار انجام شده است

Be careful that the word "Anjam Shode" is an adjective! Not a verb! So it has got no meaning!l

And:

کار انجام میشود

Which is passive and the tense is Present Continuous and its meaning is completely clear!

I hope you've got what I mean!

Good Luck :)l

You are the first person in this topic who really got what my questionis.

I understood what you mean and I really thank you, but if I can discussabout it more, can I ask this question:

You mentioned the word "annoyed" is an adjective; therefore we can translateit like:

او ناراحت است

The question is: When we have a verb and we use the PP of that verb, we use the passive adjective of that verb, am I right?

So PP of verbs are always adjective; so according to your idea, you can't say: او ناراحت مي شود.

1-Look at this Farsi sentences:

او هر روز از دست من ناراحت مي شود

This sentence can be translated in English by using simple present like this:

She is annoyed by me every day.

2-And now look at this sentence:

او از دست من ناراحت است.

This sentence can be translated in English by using simple present too:

She is annoyed.

3-So, How can you distinct between simple present tense and passive simple present tense?

She is beautiful.

She is annoyed.

She is happy.

In all of this cases, the fact is we have simple present tense, you can say the second sentence is passive simple present tense, but I can say the second sentence is not passive and annoy is merely an adjective.

Isn't it confusion in grammar?

I believe it is confusion and you only can get the correct meaning according to rest of the sentences in conversation, what is your idea?

Gole_sang
01-09-2007, 12:20
Dear Gole Sang

that's not problem

I see that your puzzle has been solved.

I havn't had the opportunity to read it carfully yet,

but I will.

Best regards
:20:

Petros
06-09-2007, 00:09
سلام
12 Dollars درسته یا 12 Dollar؟

اگه 12 Dollars درسته، چرا نمیگن 12 Percents میگن 12 Percent؟

ممنون

peyman1987
06-09-2007, 11:59
Dear Petros

Both dollar and percent are countable nouns. It means they can be used in plural form. The plural form of dollar is dollars as you mentioned.
So it will be correct if you say "I spent 12 dollars." not "I spent 12 dollar.".
Plural form of percent as a noun is percent!!!
So we have to say "I spent 20 percent of my money." not "I spent 20 percents of my money."

In addition in some cases percent can be used as an adjective or an adverb.
For instance you can say :
It's a 12 percent forfeit.

ali80
06-09-2007, 13:23
Dear Petros

Both dollar and percent are countable nouns. It means they can be used in plural form.

Guess not:41:,percent is not a countable noun(when you mean the percentage of a number) ,we don't use the plural form cause there is no plural form:31:
Have you ever used percent as plural in persian
!???

Petros
06-09-2007, 14:08
Thanx my friends
:But check this out
?As you see You can use Percent in Plural form but When

ali80
06-09-2007, 14:37
Thanx my friends
:But check this out
?As you see You can use Percent in Plural form but When

ha:31:

when it doesn't mean percent:27:

for example when you want to talk about the word percent itself not about the percentage of a number
example:converting percents to decimals
OR teacher to student:
I want you to analyse the percents which you have gained from experiments

nazli4122
08-09-2007, 13:14
hi every body
i want to have the whole english grammer, if you know any books or website or anythng else about it please tell me
thanks

NINTENDO_DS
08-09-2007, 16:50
there are lots of books for grammar in bookshops
but plz tell me in which language u need books?
english or persian?

nazli4122
09-09-2007, 09:52
persian plz

ali80
11-09-2007, 12:57
Hi
best grammer book i've ever saw:31:
English Grammer In Use
In English but very simple:46:

www.babakebadi.com
11-09-2007, 18:37
Dear Nazil4122

I'm afraid there is no good farsi grammar referenceas I believe, for studying, but if you are keen enough to try English friendly books, I suggest you ( grammar English in use, 3 vols) or ( communicate what you mean.)

by the way, if you intended to improve your English, speaking, I shouldadvice you to learn grammar by functions, not references.

Best regards

Babak

nazli4122
13-09-2007, 09:27
dear Babak
?what do u mean by leaeninng by function

علیرضا
16-09-2007, 23:59
yeah !
I think the best English refrence (as my friend said) is "English Grammar In Use" friend
&
I`ve got a persian one too ... Named
"زبان انگلیسی ... از دبیرستان تا دانشگاه ..... تالیف : عباس فرزام"

It`s good as well.... but can you tell me witch level are you in ?
I mean .... Advanced ?.... Starter ... or somewhere else in Intermediate leve ?

altogether , I offer you the first (English) one..
have fun !

www.babakebadi.com
18-09-2007, 01:32
dear Babak
?what do u mean by leaeninng by function

it is not easy to learn English, when you learn grammar and vocabularies separately, then you should try to put the words in correct ways and say something that you have never heard before.

but there is an easier way to learn to speak English like a native, this way is called : using functions,

Using functions, means changing a sentence and using it again.

I rather explain it in Farsi for you because I want you to understand it easily and fast:

So please check your personal message, since it is forbidden to write Farsi here.

If any one else likes to know more about functions, please just let me know

jinn's king
09-10-2007, 00:04
please put the words in order to make a correct sentence from the grammatical point

you-ought-him-truth-tell-to-always-the

www.babakebadi.com
09-10-2007, 14:48
you-ought-totel lhim the-truthalways

peyman1987
09-10-2007, 17:20
But I think it should be:

You always ought to tell him the truth.

Doesn't adverbs like always come beforre the main verb?

jinn's king
09-10-2007, 22:56
i know the correct answer but you are both wrong my dear friends .any other idea about this sentence pls think more and again say your idea:41:

mir@
13-10-2007, 01:21
You ought always to tell him the truth

Albeit, I think always is an adverb and its position in the sentence is somehow arbitrary, though I think the best position is after the auxiliary verb

jinn's king
13-10-2007, 16:06
you are right mr @mir and i think the same as you but in exams its better to use that structure reference

زبان انگليسي از دبيرستان تا دانشگاه تا ليف عباس فرزام

its a good book i recommand it no advertising purpose bye yours sincerely jinn's king

jinn's king
13-10-2007, 19:33
hi guys pls tell me what's wrong with this sentence(the prettiest girl in our class with long brown hair and brown eyes)and what about the following one
venomous snakes with modified teeth connected to poison glands in which the venom is secreted and stored
waiting foe reply
so long

mir@
13-10-2007, 23:46
hi guys pls tell me what's wrong with this sentence(the prettiest girl in our class with long brown hair and brown eyes)and what about the following one
venomous snakes with modified teeth connected to poison glands in which the venom is secreted and stored
waiting foe reply
so long

I'm going to ignore the fact that they are not sentences, because they have no predicate verbs

The problem is that the modifying phrases are dangling. they are not next to the noun they are modifying and hence the meaning is unclear.

in the first sentence, it sounds like the class has long brown hair and brown eyes, not the girl. It should read "In our class the girl with the long brown hair and eyes is the prettiest or The girl with the long brown hair and eyes is the prettiest one in our class.

in the second sentence, the venom is secreted and stored in the teeth, but it sounds like it's saying that happens in the glands.
Venomous snakes, with modified teeth, which are connected to poison glands where the venom is secreted and stored....

See what I mean, Jelly bean? [ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ]

jinn's king
14-10-2007, 07:36
you are exactly right none of these terms contain main verb so we cant call them sentence then there is no need to discuss about them well done mr professor thank you very very much

now guys pay attention to this sentence "Walter Hunt,although was not credited for many of his inventions,is known for the invention of safety-pin"pls give reason why its not correct

pains of love be sweeter far than all other pleasure are

jinn's knig

jinn's king
14-10-2007, 12:34
hi my dear friends pls tell me is there any way to get the dialogue of movies i mean the words saying in the movies as you know there are so many sites that provide us song lyrics what about movie's dialogue is there any site thatprovide us movie dialogue
thanks pls lend me a hand

mir@
14-10-2007, 13:10
you are exactly right none of these terms contain main verb so we cant call them sentence then there is no need to discuss about them well done mr professor thank you very very much

now guys pay attention to this sentence "Walter Hunt,although was not credited for many of his inventions,is known for the invention of safety-pin"pls give reason why its not correct

pains of love be sweeter far than all other pleasure are

jinn's knig

Hi amico,
In your sentence, the word "was" is redundant. Only one verb is needed. Also, add "the" before safety-pin

hi my dear friends pls tell me is there any way to get the dialogue of movies i mean the words saying in the movies as you know there are so many sites that provide us song lyrics what about movie's dialogue is there any site thatprovide us movie dialogue
thanks pls lend me a hand

There are a lot of web sites in which you can find movie subtitles, such as:

and many others

Marichka
07-11-2007, 18:07
Hello my dear friends;:20:

There I have some problem with the structure of these sentences and I don't know which one is correct in each case:

Case #1

I would rather not speaking that way

OR

I would rather not to speak that way

Case #2

I would rather prefer to travel by train

OR

I would rather to travel / traveling by train.

(The point in case #2 is that if it is correct to use the word PREFER inside this structure or it would be enough if we just omit it and make the sentence without that word in one of the structures in case #1 ? )

Thanks kindly and I'll appreciate your help a lot.

Best of Luck:11:

mir@
07-11-2007, 18:33
Hello my dear friends;:20:

There I have some problem with the structure of these sentences and I don't know which one is correct in each case:

Case #1

I would rather not speaking that way

OR

I would rather not to speak that way

None of them.

I would rather not speak that way.

Case #2

I would rather prefer to travel by train

OR

I would rather to travel / traveling by train.

(The point in case #2 is that if it is correct to use the word PREFER inside this structure or it would be enough if we just omit it and make the sentence without that word in one of the structures in case #1 ? )

Thanks kindly and I'll appreciate your help a lot.

Best of Luck:11:

would rather = prefer

so prefer is redundant and the correct form is

I would rather travel by train

Marichka
07-11-2007, 18:58
None of them.

I would rather not speak that way.

would rather = prefer

so prefer is redundant and the correct form is

I would rather travel by train

Hi Dear @mir and thanks for you have helped me a lot;

So regarding your answer you are quite sure that there should be no "ing" after the verb in the structure above? Cause I remember from so many years back (:31:) that this structure needs a verb with "ing" ! :19:

And with the word PREFER which one of these are correct then?

I prefer traveling by train

I prefer to travel by train

Yours kindly:10:

mir@
07-11-2007, 19:19
Hi Dear @mir and thanks for you have helped me a lot;

So regarding your answer you are quite sure that there should be no "ing" after the verb in the structure above? Cause I remember from so many years back (:31:) that this structure needs a verb with "ing" ! :19:

And with the word PREFER which one of these are correct then?

I prefer traveling by train

I prefer to travel by train

Yours kindly:10:

Hey buddy,
Long time no see!
What happened to weekly scientific contests?!l

Beyond the shadow of a doubt, after would rather, bare form of the verb should be used

You have 3 chioces:
1) prefer + gerund
2) would rather + bare verb
3) would prefer + to +bare verb

I prefer going to unisex party to attending funeral cereminies
I would rather go to unisex party than attend funeral ceremonies
I would prefer to go to unisex party rather than attend funeral ceremonies

Wish you best of lucks

Marichka
07-11-2007, 19:33
Hey buddy,
Long time no see!
What happened to weekly scientific contests?!l

Beyond the shadow of a doubt, after would rather, bare form of the verb should be used

You have 3 chioces:
1) prefer + gerund
2) would rather + bare verb
3) would prefer + to +bare verb

I prefer going to unisex party to attending funeral cereminies
I would rather go to unisex party than attend funeral ceremonies
I would prefer to go to unisex party rather than attend funeral ceremonies

Wish you best of lucks

Hello again ! :46:

I have saved all the stuff so I will be able to refer them on case later!

Thanks for clearing this up for me. It really was struggling with my mind for quite sometime!

And about the weekly contest we had before; it's in progress and modification! :31:

It will be available with an entire new frame as soon as I would be able to get rid of my personal occupations !! :19:

Maybe in new year then ...

Anyway thanks a lot again and wish you best in every single moment of your life :40:

Yours Kindly : Dianella :11:

azita61
16-11-2007, 18:43
hi folk
im again here for makin a request
i should write an article about this topic: "why should we use only one international language?whats the point of it?
and is that enough to have only one language as an international language?" plesase tell me your suggestions

A GUNNER
23-11-2007, 17:08
hi folk
im again here for makin a request
i should write an article about this topic: "why should we use only one international language?whats the point of it?
and is that enough to have only one language as an international language?" plesase tell me your suggestions

hi. I do believe that having only one international language can be very useful, because people all around the world can be able to communicate with each other much more easier so that everybody knows to speak in which language
on the other hand, each language is the representative of its own culture, history and people so by learning the language of each country we respected them; cosequently, if you are able to learn several languages to comunicate with several types of people, do so

maxoud
18-12-2007, 19:45
which one is correct?

1_You could(or would) tell me the truth.couldn't you?
2_You could(or would) tell me the truth.didn't you?

1_I look forward to come
2_I look forward coming
3_I look forward to coming

And is it different about ((I'm looking forward))

thanks

peyman1987
18-12-2007, 23:09
which one is correct?

1_I look forward to come
2_I look forward coming

thanks

About your first question the correct choice would be number one. For short questions you have to use the exact verb which is used in the main sentence.

The second question also will be number one.

maxoud
19-12-2007, 11:28
I found my answer last night and I'm afraid your answer about secend question is wrong

number 3 is the right one.

And here is the link that I found my anwer

A r c h i
19-12-2007, 19:51
which one is correct?

1_I look forward to come
2_I look forward coming

thanks

In first question, the first one is correct

The 2nd one,

Number 2 is correct

I didn't get the point of your question???
I'm looking forward means
من منتظر ..هستم

maxoud
19-12-2007, 21:06
In first question, the first one is correct

The 2nd one,

Number 2 is correct

I didn't get the point of your question???
I'm looking forward means
من منتظر ..هستم

be sure that number 2 is incorrect

the right one is number 3

Look forward to is one of the many phrasal verbs in English in which an adverbial particle (forward) as well as a preposition (to) is combined with the stem verb to signify a particular meaning. What we are looking forward to can be exemplified as either as a noun phrase or as a verb-phrase with an -ing pattern

Jill says she's not looking forward to Jack's party next weekend.

I very much look forward to meeting you soon.

They're looking forward to joining their children in Australia
There are many such three-part verbs, e.g.:

look back on = think back to
put up with = tolerate
come down with = fall ill with

There are a number of instances where such verbs end with the preposition to, e.g.:

face up to = confront
get round to = do something after some delay
get down to = concentrate on

Note that in such instances to is not part of any infinitive phrase. It is an integral part of the verb. And whatever it is that we face up to or get round to is normally expressed as either a noun phrase or as a verb phrase with an -ing pattern:

A r c h i
19-12-2007, 22:50
be sure that number 2 is incorrect

I'm afraid it's not
1_You could(Auxiliary verb ) tell (main verb) me the truth.couldn't (we use Auxiliary in tag endings ) you?
2_You would (Auxiliary verb ) tell me the truth.wouldn't you???l

Take a look at present:
you can tell me the truth , can't you?
you will tell me the truth,won't you???l
(by the way I think the whole sentence will be much better and meaningful when we put it this way :
you could have told me the truth ,couldn't you?? )

And about the second one:
yes you are right :31:l

maxoud
20-12-2007, 11:27
:20: Thanks a lot 4 your help

Sec Expert
20-12-2007, 13:01
Hi:46: dear friends
"be looking forward to+ gerund" is just more formal than "look forward to+ gerund"

mass0ood
08-01-2008, 00:43
:31:hi friends;don't you think that another question should be discussed?
please explain abt relative pronouns
thanks alot:11:

zerosector
16-01-2008, 13:56
This may be a stupid question but none-the-less
Please tell me know what's different the words of "that" and "which" in the following sentences? and where should I use them?
The following sentences may be false.

I've found an online dictionary some months ago which I always use it and I think that it's the best one.
dictionary.reference.com

A r c h i
16-01-2008, 16:05
This may be a stupid question but none-the-less
Please tell me know what's different the words of "that" and "which" in the following sentences? and where should I use them?
The following sentences may be false.

I've found an online dictionary some months ago which I always use it and I think that it's the best one.
dictionary.reference.com

Which = is a substitute for an online dictionary
I've found an online dictionary some months ago.............. I always use an online dictionary
---> I've found an online dictionary some months ago which I always use
( I should say the word "it " is wrong at the end of that sentence )
That = is the relative pronoun between two sentences

I think ...... It's the best one
---> I think that it's the best one

zerosector
16-01-2008, 17:42
:20: Thanks for your prompt reply

khaiyam
19-01-2008, 16:09
منظور از مصدر کامل هر فعل و مصدر هر فعل در انگلیسی چی هست
گذشته در آینده چیست چطور معنا می شود
چطور میتونم جملات مجهول را در حالات مختلف معنا کنم

zerosector
22-01-2008, 23:42
What's difference between these verbs "look like" , "look" , "seem" , "sound" in the sentences? and where should I use them?
For example which one is false?:
It looks like rain
It looks rain
It sounds rain
It seems rain

Reynard
23-01-2008, 16:30
What's difference between these verbs "look like" , "look" , "seem" , "sound" in the sentences? and where should I use them?
It looks like rain
It looks rain
It sounds rain
It seems rain
اول اینکه فکر نکنید چون چندتا کلمه یه معنی می دهد باید حنما یه فرقی توش باشه انگیلیسی هم مثل فارسی همنطوری که تو فارسی از کلمات متفاوت استفاده می شده این هم همینه ولی
معنی اینا می شه
این شبیه بارونه
به نظر بارونه
این یه چیزی تو مایه های بارونه
این به نظر بارونه
اگه بخاای اولی و استفاده کنی :یکی ازت می پیرسه این ریزش آب شبیه چیه تئ می گی (اولی رو)
دومی وقتی ازتمی پرسن لین چیه میریزه سرمون تو میگی (دومی رو)
سومی که واضجه
چهارمی تقریبا هم معنای دومیه با این فرق که پر کاربردتره

A r c h i
23-01-2008, 19:54
It looks like rain
It looks rain
It sounds rain
It seems rain

دوست عزیز دقیقا 3 تا از جمله ها از نظر گرامری غلط و بی معنیه

در مورد سوالتون هر سه فعل یک معنی می ده.به نظر رسیدن.منتها کاربردش فرق می کنه . اگه که یک مقدار تو جمله ها و مثالهای دیکشنری ببینید کاربردش کاملا مشخص می شه .

درست جمله ها :

It looks like it's raining,It looks like rain, it looks like it rains

جمله دوم که نمی شه اصلا..همون look like باید باشه

It sounds raining, It sounds like raining, It sounds it rains, It sounds it's going to rain
It seems raining, It seems like raining, It seems it's going to rain

sepid12ir
03-02-2008, 19:29
Which one is correct!:D

The other problem that juveniles might face is finding a job
The other problem that juveniles might face is to find a job

These days the cost of houses is too high
These days the costs of houses are too high

I would buy a car but not expensive one
I would buy a car but not the expensive one

The true meaning of life
The real meaning of life

Is "be" correct here?!i
If they be well-educated ...l

A r c h i
04-02-2008, 00:14

I think both are correct

The first one

the second one,this could be correct too, I would buy a car but not an expensive one

The true meaning of life
The real meaning of life

First one seems to be much better

Is "be" correct here?!i

Yes correct:11:l

sepid12ir
04-02-2008, 11:05

I think both are correct

The first one

the second one,this could be correct too, I would buy a car but not an expensive one

The true meaning of life

The real meaning of life

First one seems to be much better

Is "be" correct here?!i

:31:Thank you Azadeh Joonam

A r c h i
04-02-2008, 14:21
Is "be" correct here?!i

By the way,I thought more and I have doubt about this one, could you write the rest of sentence, or the meaning

sepid12ir
04-02-2008, 15:22
By the way,I thought more and I have doubt about this one, could you write the rest of sentence, or the meaning

If they be well-educated they can find a good job with high salary

love-to-learn
04-02-2008, 23:00

Hi dear Sepide

You would better say: if they are well-educated they can......l

Good luck:11:l

A r c h i
05-02-2008, 00:10

I think this could be kind of conditional sentences which we call it

شرطی واقعی= Real conditionals

هرزمانی + فاعل + ، + هر زمانی + IF

So according to that, The sentence will be much better this way,
If they are well-educated, they can find a good job with high salary
with be:
If they will be well-educated, they can(will) find a good job with high salary

sepid12ir
05-02-2008, 11:46
Thank u dears
:46:Yeah, u r right

khaiyam
05-02-2008, 18:52
please give me some information about ' Have got and has got '

A r c h i
05-02-2008, 22:38

دقیقا چه تفاوتی مورد نظرتونه؟؟؟ از نظر کاربردی تفاوتش خیلی واضحه

I have got
you have got
s/he has got

We have got
you have got
they have got

khaiyam
07-02-2008, 21:31
منظورم این هست چگونه معنا میشه؟ چرا با فعل کمکی Have هست ؟چه زمانی استفاده میشه؟
با تشکر بسیار

break of dawn
17-02-2008, 19:18
Have/Has +pp=ماضی نقلی
فعل get معنی های زیادی میده به طوری که استادا میگن هر جا یه فعلی یادت رفت بیشتر مواقع میتونی از اون استفاده کنی اگه جمله شما این طوریه این معنا رو میده:
eg: I have got the lesson من درسو گرفتم(فهمیدم).
ولی به طور کلی قاعده ی بالایی دلالت میکنه.مثلا:

این کتاب را خوانده ام. I have read this book.
We have seen this film.این فیلم را دیده ایم.

به طور کلی هر عملی که در گذشته ی نزدیک در یک زمان نامعین اتفاق افتاده و اثرات اون باقیه با این ساخت نوشته میشه.امیدوارم منظورتونو رسونده باشم.:20:

sepid12ir
17-02-2008, 20:13

در کنار چیزهایی که دوستان گفتن میخوام اضافه کنم که Have/has got در واقع همون معنی Have را میده:31:
مثلا این دوتا جمله کاملا هم معنی هستن فقط یکدومشون فکر کنم بریتیشه و یکی امریکایی و از طرفی یکیش رسمیتره که فکر میکنم Have باشه و Have/has Got غیر رسمیتر هستند:20:

I have a car = I have got a car
Do you have a car?= Have you got a car?l

She has got twp sisters= She has two sisters
How many sisters has she got?!= How many sisters does she have?l

A r c h i
17-02-2008, 21:06
فاعل + have/has + فعل p.p = حال کامل

ترجمه فارسی این زمان ماضی نقلی می باشد. برای بیان عملی که در گذشته شروع شده و تمام شده ولی اثرش در حال حاضر هست

I have watered the flowers

He has passed the test

She has seen the movie twice

b8308443
23-02-2008, 21:10
در کنار چیزهایی که دوستان گفتن میخوام اضافه کنم که Have/has got در واقع همون معنی Have را میده:31:
مثلا این دوتا جمله کاملا هم معنی هستن فقط یکدومشون فکر کنم بریتیشه و یکی امریکایی و از طرفی یکیش رسمیتره که فکر میکنم Have باشه و Have/has Got غیر رسمیتر هستند:20:

I have a car = I have got a car
Do you have a car?= Have you got a car?l

She has got twp sisters= She has two sisters

How many sisters has she got?!= How many sisters does she have?l

Yeah that's right."have got"is the same as "have"."Have got" is British and the other one is American.

Narsis_E
06-03-2008, 08:19
I 've a question about "tag questions"
how can we make a tag question for sentences like this :
it appears that you are tired .
does n't it ?!
or
are n't you ?!
I mean for which part of this sentence should we make this tag questions ?
for "it appears " or "you are tired" ?

A r c h i
06-03-2008, 21:17
I 've a question about "tag questions"
how can we make a tag question for sentences like this :
it appears that you are tired .
does n't it ?!
or
are n't you ?!
I mean for which part of this sentence should we make this tag questions ?
for "it appears " or "you are tired" ?
I'd written once in only beginners about tag endings
for your question, It is
it appears that you are tired,aren't you????
The part that you want to ask question about, In the above sentence you wanted to know if s'he is tired or not..so you make it with the second sentence

Tag Endgings:
Form
auxiliary verb + subject

If the auxiliary verb in the sentence is positive, the tag is negative
You are Spanish, aren't you?

If the auxiliary verb in the sentence is negative, the tag is positive
You're not Spanish, are you?

If there is no auxiliary verb in the sentence, we use do
You live in Spain, don't you?

functions & examples

We use tag questions:
1. to confirm information

This meal is horrible, isn't it
That film was fantastic, wasn't it

We are already sure of the answer, we just want confirmation, and we use a falling intonation with the tag question.

2. to check information:

You haven't got a piece of paper, have you?
You don't know where the boss is, do you?
The meeting's tomorrow at 9am, isn't it?

We do not know the answer, these are real questions, and we use a rising intonation with the tag question.

important points

1. In the present tense, if the subject is "I", the auxiliary changes to are or aren't
I'm sitting next to you, aren't I?

2. With let's, the tag question is shall we
Let's go to the beach, shall we?

3. With an imperative, the tag question is will you
Close the window, will you?

4. We use a positive tag question after a sentence containing a negative word such as never, hardly, nobody
Nobody lives in this house, do they?
You've never liked me, have you?

5. When the subject is nothing, we use it in the tag question
Nothing bad happened, did it?

6. When the subject is nobody, somebody, everybody, noone, someone, or everyone, we use they in the tag question
Nobody asked for me, did they?

7. If the main verb in the sentence is have (not an auxiliary verb), it is more common to use do in the question tag than have
You have a Ferrari, don't you?

8. With used to, we use didn't in the tag question
You used to work here, didn't you?

9. We can use positive question tags after positive sentences to express a reaction such as surprise or interest
You're moving to Brazil, are you?l

Mehran NZ
06-03-2008, 21:53
If the main verb in the sentence is have (not an auxiliary verb), it is more common to use do in the question tag than have
You have a Ferrari, don't you?

and what about had? can we say
you had a big problem.didn't you?a

sepid12ir
06-03-2008, 22:09
and what about had? can we say
you had a big problem.didn't you?a

You are right dear Mehran, "Had" here is the past form of "Have" so "Didn't you" is correct

Narsis_E
07-03-2008, 06:37
thank you for your complete answer , dear archi-girl

jedivssith
21-03-2008, 12:24
Which phrases are correct?‎

Hello, Happy New Year ‎

I have doubt that which these phrases are correct

‎1-‎ Animal’s Sea or Sea Animals

‎2-‎ Animal’s Baby or Baby Animals

Thank you very much
Have a Nice Trip, If you going to go on trip
Have a good time, If you stay in your Hometown
Bye

sepid12ir
21-03-2008, 14:18

Hello, Happy New Year ‎

Thank you very much
Bye

:11:Hi dear friend, happy yr new year too
About the 1st one I think the second one is true: Sea Animals
and the 2nd one, both of them can be true but with a small difference
We can use: Animal Baby or Baby Animal
There is no need to use " 's":46:l

A r c h i
21-03-2008, 15:16

Hello, Happy New Year ‎

Thank you very much
Bye

what do you mean by these two sentences??? In my opinion both are wrong because they don't have any meaning

if you meant:
حیوان دریایی
you can use animals in the sea, or generally Marines which means
آبزیان
Sea animals can be correct , but I rarely see it in the texts.
And about babies of animals, all of them have names, you can't say a baby of an animal:13:, will you please clarify what you meant????l

jedivssith
21-03-2008, 17:25
Hi, Friends
I want a true title for two topic. I make a dictionary about Names of Animals, Tools, ‎Animals baby, and… I want a short true title. No a long title for my words in my dictionary. ‎
I want to write title and then write words with their meaning.‎
So, tell me two true title for these topics.‎
Do you understand my idea or no?‎

Excuse me, I have to write Persian my idea:‎
‎1-‎ جانوران دریایی یا آبزیان ‏
‎2-‎ بچه های حیوانات ‏

sepid12ir
21-03-2008, 18:19
what do you mean by these two sentences??? In my opinion both are wrong because they don't have any meaning

if you meant:
حیوان دریایی
you can use animals in the sea, or generally Marines which means
آبزیان
Sea animals can be correct , but I rarely see it in the texts.
And about babies of animals, all of them have names, you can't say a baby of an animal:13:, will you please clarify what you meant????l

But sea animals is common, isn't it?! I'd heard it a lot:31: But as you said Marine is also used for the word آبزیان
about the second one; Baby Animal And Animal baby they're both correct according to Dic and also Google and they mean:
" حیوانات کوچولو"
e.g: a baby monkey

And about
بچه های حیوانات؟
:31:Beats me

cyrus_ln
03-04-2008, 14:44
ببخشید که اینجا پست می دم اونم به فارسی
میشه یه کتاب واسه آموزش گرامر معرفی کنید .کتابی که گرامر رو با مثال آموزش داده باشه اگه کتابی هست مشخصات کاملش (نام , نویسنده , ناشر و...) رو بگین تا من بتونم بخرم.
ممنون

Narsis_E
03-04-2008, 23:30
ببخشید که اینجا پست می دم اونم به فارسی
میشه یه کتاب واسه آموزش گرامر معرفی کنید .کتابی که گرامر رو با مثال آموزش داده باشه اگه کتابی هست مشخصات کاملش (نام , نویسنده , ناشر و...) رو بگین تا من بتونم بخرم.
ممنون

I remember that our professor recommend us to read this book for grammer
Essential grammar in use

: here you can get more information about it

cyrus_ln
04-04-2008, 16:20
I remember that our professor recommend us to read this book for grammer
Essential grammar in use

: here you can get more information about it

ممنون...:11:

shady_er
12-05-2008, 18:30
hi dears
i search for the best grammar book
what is the best? tank u alot

A r c h i
12-05-2008, 20:19
hi dears
i search for the best grammar book
what is the best? tank u alot

Hi
I think English Grammar in use is one of the bests

sepid12ir
17-05-2008, 21:57
?Which one is correct
1. I went out to buy some milk
2. I went out for buying some milk
Actually I'm somehow sure about the answer but I need yr idea as well
I'd be grateful if you could answer me soon
:11:Thaaaanx in advance

j0l6
17-05-2008, 22:18
i think u can use both of them but the first one is more common

shady_er
18-05-2008, 11:47
Hi
I think English Grammar in use is one of the bests

tanks alot my dear
and what a bout oxford grammar with audio cd?
i need a book from usa grammar(cambridge) with audio cd? can i find it in book store?

seymour
18-05-2008, 13:34
?Which one is correct
1. I went out to buy some milk
2. I went out for buying some milk
Actually I'm somehow sure about the answer but I need yr idea as well
I'd be grateful if you could answer me soon
:11:Thaaaanx in advance

i think u can use both of them but the first one is more common
اولی درسته و دومی نه ...

اگه بخوایم یه عمل رو در قالب فعل توضیح بدیم ، باید از الگوی to + مصدر استفاده کنیم ... بنابراین اولی درسته ...

از for وقتی استفاده میشه که بخوایم بعدش اسم بیاریم ... مثلا I went out for some milk ... ولی for buying some milk غلطه ... در واقع اون for داره قصد رو نشون میده و نیاز به فعل رو از بین می بره ...

-----

سوال : آیا حالتی نیست که for + ...ing بشه ؟ ...
جواب : بله- وقتی که داریم هدف یک شیء رو توضیح میدیم ... car is for driving ... cake is for eating

sepid12ir
18-05-2008, 17:55
اولی درسته و دومی نه ...

اگه بخوایم یه عمل رو در قالب فعل توضیح بدیم ، باید از الگوی to + مصدر استفاده کنیم ... بنابراین اولی درسته ...

از for وقتی استفاده میشه که بخوایم بعدش اسم بیاریم ... مثلا I went out for some milk ... ولی for buying some milk غلطه ... در واقع اون for داره قصد رو نشون میده و نیاز به فعل رو از بین می بره ...

-----

جواب : بله- وقتی که داریم هدف یک شیء رو توضیح میدیم ... car is for driving ... cake is for eating

مرسی، بالاخره یکی با من موافقه! از صبح تا حالا از هر استادی که پرسیدم میگه هر دوش درسته!!!!!!!!!!!
خیلی خیلی زیاد مرسی که مطمئنم کردی.:11:

sepid12ir
19-05-2008, 19:17
اولی درسته و دومی نه ...

-----

حالا یه سوال، این جمله از نظر گرامری که غلطه، ولی میشه لطف کنید بگید که آیا تو Spoken از این ساختار استفاده میشه یا نه؟

sepid12ir
20-05-2008, 19:14
من منتظر جواب هستم، ولی از طرفی سوال دیگه ای دارم، راستش اینروزا خیلی به جمله ها دقت میکنم و برا همین سوال زیاد پیش میاد برام:دی
این جمله درسته؟: Do you mind stopping playing Piano?l

unartig
20-05-2008, 21:15
من منتظر جواب هستم، ولی از طرفی سوال دیگه ای دارم، راستش اینروزا خیلی به جمله ها دقت میکنم و برا همین سوال زیاد پیش میاد برام:دی
In my opinion it 's true but you didn't use Defination article (the)before Piano

peyman1987
20-05-2008, 21:42

Hi

I think it's not correct to say that.
Maybe it will be better to say:

1- Do you mind to stop playing piano?
2- Do you mind stopping to play piano?

You have to use either a gerund ( second one ) or an infinitive ( first one ).

Gerund is a noun + ing ( not all of nouns can make a gerund )
An infinitive is a verb proceeded by to.

A r c h i
20-05-2008, 22:25
l
l

I think this one is correct

sepid12ir
21-05-2008, 09:29
Hi

But neither of them seem correct:question:, as far as I know after "Do you mind" we can never have Infinitive n I myself think this should be correct: Do you mind stop playing football?l

sastwhc
21-05-2008, 09:44
Hi

But neither of them seem correct:question:, as far as I know after "Do you mind" we can never have Infinitive n I myself think this should be correct: Do you mind stop playing football?l

In formal English, we would use a possessive with the –ing form. In informal English, many people do not.

* I'm angry about his missing the meeting.
I'm angry about him missing the meeting.
* Do you mind my coming?
* Do you mind me coming?

Narsis_E
21-05-2008, 17:38
نوشته شده توسط sepid12ir

نوشته شده توسط peyman1987

Hi

An infinitive is a verb proceeded by to

Do you mind stopping playing piano ?

به نظر من صحیح ترین شکل این جمله همینه ! برای این جمله باید دو حالت رو بررسی کنیم

1- شکل صحیح stop

2- شکل صحیح play

یعنی باید ببینیم ing فرم صحیح تره یا شکل مصدری (infinitive)

فعل اصلی این جمله mind هست و mind از جمله افعالی هست که فعلی که بعدش می یاد باید به صورت Ing فرم باشه (مثل افعال avoid,keep,resist, deny, can’t help, omit , …) خب ! پس تا اینجا می فهمیم که stop باید به صورت ing فرم باشه نه مصدر !

Do you mind stopping …..

حالا می ریم سراغ play ! که فعل قبلش stop هستش ، stop از جمله افعالی هست که فعل بعدش هم می تونه به صورت Ing فرم باشه و هم infinitive .

حالا تفاوت این دو تا چیه ؟! وقتی بعد از stop ، فرم Ing رو استفاده می کنیم به معنی اینه که یه کاری که در حال جریان بوده (یه عملی) رو می خوایم متوقف کنیم ، مثلاً وقتی می گیم :

He stopped eating یعنی شخص عمل خوردن رو متوقف کرده (از خوردن دست کشیده !)

ولی وقتی می گیم :

He stopped to eat یعنی شخص یه عمل دیگه ای رو متوقف کرده تا عمل خوردن رو شروع کنه (مثلاً دست از کار کشیده تا بره غذا بخوره !)

در این جمله هم حالت محتمل تر playing هست یعنی می خواد عمل نواختن پیانو رو متوقف کنه ، (نه اینکه یه کاری رو متوقف کنه تا پیانو بزنه !)

پس با این حساب میشه :

sepid12ir
22-05-2008, 12:13

به نظر من صحیح ترین شکل این جمله همینه ! برای این جمله باید دو حالت رو بررسی کنیم

1- شکل صحیح stop

2- شکل صحیح play

یعنی باید ببینیم ing فرم صحیح تره یا شکل مصدری (infinitive)

فعل اصلی این جمله mind هست و mind از جمله افعالی هست که فعلی که بعدش می یاد باید به صورت Ing فرم باشه (مثل افعال avoid,keep,resist, deny, can’t help, omit , …) خب ! پس تا اینجا می فهمیم که stop باید به صورت ing فرم باشه نه مصدر !

Do you mind stopping …..

حالا می ریم سراغ play ! که فعل قبلش stop هستش ، stop از جمله افعالی هست که فعل بعدش هم می تونه به صورت Ing فرم باشه و هم infinitive .

حالا تفاوت این دو تا چیه ؟! وقتی بعد از stop ، فرم Ing رو استفاده می کنیم به معنی اینه که یه کاری که در حال جریان بوده (یه عملی) رو می خوایم متوقف کنیم ، مثلاً وقتی می گیم :

He stopped eating یعنی شخص عمل خوردن رو متوقف کرده (از خوردن دست کشیده !)

ولی وقتی می گیم :

He stopped to eat یعنی شخص یه عمل دیگه ای رو متوقف کرده تا عمل خوردن رو شروع کنه (مثلاً دست از کار کشیده تا بره غذا بخوره !)

در این جمله هم حالت محتمل تر playing هست یعنی می خواد عمل نواختن پیانو رو متوقف کنه ، (نه اینکه یه کاری رو متوقف کنه تا پیانو بزنه !)

پس با این حساب میشه :

ولی من اینروزا خیلی دنبال این گشتم که جواب درست را پیدا کنم و هنوز که هنوزه پیدا نکردم ولی تا اونجایی که تحقیق کردم این جمله اصلا نمیتونه درست باشه!
حالا یکی از دوستان میگفت Do you mind stopping play ... درسته! ولی من شک دارم!

unartig
22-05-2008, 15:25
maybe this one can help you
the 2nd line from end

The boy said he has never hated piano. The thought of stopping playing piano has never crossed his mind.

jedivssith
22-05-2008, 22:12
Does it text is Correct?

This small dictionary is includes 744 words (noun, adjective) about the names of vegetables, animals, tools and another topics. I tried to make a Full and Complete list for each topic.
I also change a few words from British English to American English Spellings, such as color word that is color in American English.
If you enjoy it, I’ll happy.
I’m waiting your Idea about the dictionary; please sent me any comments and suggestions for got better it.
Thank you very much for use the dictionary

Thank you very much

Narsis_E
22-05-2008, 23:43
Does it text is Correct?

This small dictionary is includes 744 words (noun, adjective) about the names of vegetables, animals, tools and another topics. I tried to make a Full and Complete list for each topic.
I also change a few words from British English to American English Spellings, such as color word that is color in American English.
If you enjoy it, I’ll happy.
I’m waiting for your Idea about the dictionary; please sent me any comments and suggestions for got better it.
Thank you very much for use the dictionary

Thank you very much

Does it text is Correct

باید به این صورت سوال می کردید:

Is this text correct ? or would you please tell me grammatical problems of this text ?

من قسمت هایی که مشکل گرامری و بعضاً املایی داشت رو مشخص کردم ولی فکر می کنم اگه یه سری از جملات رو کمی تغییر بدیم بهتر باشه ، تو متن زیر یه سری تغییرات روش صورت گرفته، امیدوارم اگه مشکلی داره دوستان لطف کنن تصحیح کنن.

This small dictionary includes 744 words (noun and adjective) about the names of vegetables, animals, tools and so on. I 've tried to provide a complete list for each topic
I 've changed spelling of some words from British English to American English, such as colour which is changed to color .
I hope it can be useful.
I’m looking forward to hearing your idea about this dictionary; please send me your comments and suggestions so that I can improve it.
Thank you so much for useing this dictionary.

Narsis_E
23-05-2008, 00:17
ولی من اینروزا خیلی دنبال این گشتم که جواب درست را پیدا کنم و هنوز که هنوزه پیدا نکردم ولی تا اونجایی که تحقیق کردم این جمله اصلا نمیتونه درست باشه!
حالا یکی از دوستان میگفت Do you mind stopping play ... درسته! ولی من شک دارم!

بعد از stop باید یا Ingفرم داشته باشیم یا مصدر با to! بعید می دونم شکل ساده فعل اینجا کاربرد داشته باشه !

من فکر می کنم اون جمله از لحاظ گرامری مشکلی نداره ولی شاید اگه بخوایم از دو تا ing فرم پشت سر هم استفاده نکنیم (که مثل این که زیاد هم رایج نیست !) و همون منظور رو به یه نحو دیگه ای برسونیم بهتره به این صورت مطرح کنیم :

Will you stop playing the piano?

Do you mind NOT playing the piano?

seymour
23-05-2008, 08:42
... چرا اولین جمله غلطه ؟ جواب : چون بعد از mind باید حتما gerund بیاد ...پس mind to stop درست نیست ...

... چرا جمله دوم غلط نیست ؟ ... جواب : استفاده از دوتا gerund یا PP (دیگه الان فرقی ندارن) پشت سر هم غلط نیست ؛ اما اساسا توصیه نمیشه ... حالا چه بصورت متوالی و چه اینکه حتی در یه جمله باشن (هرچند با فاصله) ... چنین جملاتی معمولا ناشیانه به حساب میان و بهتره که تغییر پیدا کنن ... خیلی سخته که چنین جملاتی رو قشنگ درآورد ... (بحث پاراللیسم)

جواب نهایی : جمله دوم از نظر گرامری غلط نیست ؛ اما قشنگ هم نیست ؛ زشته ! ... و بهتره که به شکل دیگه ادا بشه ... (پست بالایی)

حالا یه سوال، این جمله از نظر گرامری که غلطه، ولی میشه لطف کنید بگید که آیا تو Spoken از این ساختار استفاده میشه یا نه؟
نه - استفاده نمیشه ... به این دلیل که در محاوره مردم میرن سمت ساختارهای ساده تر و روان تر (اما گاهی غلط) ... اما حالت عکس اش اتفاق نمیفته : یعنی دنبال ساختار غلطی که روان تر نباشه (مثل همین نمونه) نمیرن ...

sepid12ir
23-05-2008, 10:06
از همگی ممنون

mohrd
25-05-2008, 12:51
اسم اشاره ی an رو برای کدوم کلمات به کار می بردیم؟ یعنی حرف اولشون چی بود؟؟ ( فوری )

seymour
25-05-2008, 14:17
اگه اول کلمه با مصوت (صدا) شروع بشه an میاد ... حالا چه حروف صدادار باشه (یعنی اولش a-e-i-o-u باشه) ... چه نباشه ...

اگه اول کلمه با حروف صامت (بی صدا) شروع بشه a میاد ... حالا چه حرف صدادار باشه ، چه نباشه ...

بنابراین تلفظ مهمه نه اسپل ... به همین خاطر میگیم an hour ، و a union ... و a European ... یا مثلا a one-year term

jedivssith
26-05-2008, 12:10
Hello

What different between (each other) and (together). Please explain with example.

Thank you

seymour
26-05-2008, 14:18
Hello

What different between (each other) and (together). Please explain with example.

Thank you

each other معنای "به هم" رو میده یه جورایی ... یعنی حالت متقابل داره ؛ دو نفر نسبت به هم یه کاری رو انجام میدن ... we love each other

together معنای "با هم" رو میده ... یعنی we work together ... ضمن اینکه بصورت ضمنی معنای همراهی (به معنای همزمانی) رو هم میده ... they arrived together ...

jedivssith
08-06-2008, 20:09
درود
در کتاب گرامر انگلیسی از دبیرستان تا دانشگاه تالیف عباس فرزام چاپ سال 1367 صفحه 188 نقش کلمه also را فقط در جملات مثبت می داند نه جملات سوالی. آیا این غلط است چون جمله ای دیدم که also را در جمله سوالی بکار برده. Is she also deaf?
با سپاس فراوان
بدرود

farshid57
09-06-2008, 08:47
hi there,
\"ignore my mistakes" could be a better substitution for "excuse me"

seymour
09-06-2008, 17:06
hi there,
\"ignore my mistakes" could be a better substitution for "excuse me"
نه لزوما ... چون در ignore my mistakes شاید واقعا هم بخاطر اشتباهاتت ناراحت نیستی و صرفا از طرف می خوای که زیادی بهشون حساس نباشه و گیر نده [ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ] اما توی اون یکی واقعا تاسف ات رو نشون میدی ... بنابراین ماهیت دوتا متفاوت می تونه باشه ... شاید استفاده از یه Please در ابتدای این یکی (igonre...) بتونه لحنش رو مناسب تر کنه ...

seymour
09-06-2008, 17:30
درود
در کتاب گرامر انگلیسی از دبیرستان تا دانشگاه تالیف عباس فرزام چاپ سال 1367 صفحه 188 نقش کلمه also را فقط در جملات مثبت می داند نه جملات سوالی. آیا این غلط است چون جمله ای دیدم که also را در جمله سوالی بکار برده. Is she also deaf?
با سپاس فراوان
بدرود
یعنی مشخصا نوشته که توی جملات سوالی بکار نبرید ؟... من دیده بودم که روی استفاده اش در جملات مثبت تاکید بشه ؛ اما روی عدم استفاده اش نه ... ضمن اینکه طبق معمولا بحث گرامری بودن/نبودن از یکسو و قشنگ/زشت بودن از سوی دیگه با هم تطبیق کامل ندارن ... یعنی ممکنه یه چیزی غلظ نباشه اما قشنگ هم نباشه ... (مثل استفاده از also در ابتدای جمله که توصیه نمیشه - چون ریتم جمله رو خراب می کنه) ... من هم جملات سوالی زیادی دیدم که also توش استفاده شده باشه ...

بهرحال من کتاب آقای جواد عسگری رو چک کردم ، گفته که توی جملات مثبت استفاده بشه ... کتاب آقای آریانا در مدخل مربوط به also چیز خاصی نگفته ... می گردم دنبال منبع معتبر خارجی ...

پی نوشت : مثلا من الان که چندتا فرم سوالی رو تست کردم می بینم که به کرات در متون BBC (که می تونه یه مرجع مناسب برای صحت باشه به نظرم) استفاده شده ...

The question at the forefront of many world leaders' minds as they gather in St Petersburg for this month's G8 meeting will be: "Is it also good for my country?

Narsis_E
09-06-2008, 22:11
مطمئناً از لحاظ گرامری هیچ ایرادی نداره که also رو در فرم سوالی استفاده کنیم !

ضمن اینکه طبق معمولا بحث گرامری بودن/نبودن از یکسو و قشنگ/زشت بودن از سوی دیگه با هم تطبیق کامل ندارن ... یعنی ممکنه یه چیزی غلظ نباشه اما قشنگ هم نباشه ...

موافقم !

فکر می کنم در این مورد هم یکی از دلایلش همین باشه، کمااینکه با چنین مواردی در زبان فارسی هم مواجه میشیم. مثلاً در مورد همین کلمه also که به صورت "هم، همچنین یا نیز" ترجمه میشه. مشخصه که این 3 کلمه مترادف هستند ولی بنا به شرایط یکی نسبت به بقیه ترجیح داده میشه، مثلاً در فرم سوالی:

او ناشنوا نیز هست؟
او ناشنوا هم هست؟
او همچنین ناشنواست ؟! :13:(تو فرم سوالی زیاد جالب نیست ولی جمله خبری و غیر سوالی مشکلی نداره ! او ( نابینا و) همچنین ناشنواست . )

خب می بینیم که اینجا جملات از لحاظ دستور زبان مشکلی ندارند ولی دو جمله اول رایج تر و البته مناسب تر و زیباتر به نظر می رسن!

شاید در انگلیسی هم بتونیم این مقایسه رو بین 3 کلمه "also, as well , too" داشته باشیم.
در اینجا علاوه بر مبحث زیبایی ، موقعیت هم مطرح هست و هر کدوم رو می تونیم ترجیحاً در بعضی موقعیت های خاص استفاده کنیم ولی باز مترادف هستند و از لحاظ معنایی مشابه هستند

Is she deaf too?(که بیشتر در محاوران روزمره و غیر رسمی استفاده میشه)
Is she also deaf?(رسمی تر از too هست )
Is she deaf as well?(از also , too رسمی تره و بیشتر در نامه های اداری و ... ازش استفاده میشه!)

mashaheeer
16-06-2008, 13:17
سلام
فرق very well و very good از لحاظ به كاربردن در جمله چيست؟

seymour
16-06-2008, 20:53
سلام
فرق very well و very good از لحاظ به كاربردن در جمله چيست؟
very well حالت قیدی داره و سعی می کنه یه عمل یا action رو توضیح بده در حالیکه very good حالت صفتی داره و سعی می کنه یه شیء یا فرد و خلاصه یه noun رو توصیف کنه ...

مثلا :

Mohammd is a very good boy who he speaks English very well

البته با بعضی افعال و در بعضی حالات معنایی ، موارد استثنا هم وجود داره ... مثلا افعال مربوط به حواس پنجگانه و احساس و اینا ... که می تونن با good هم بیان ..

Narsis_E
18-06-2008, 12:22
یه استثنا کوچیک ! در مورد very) well وجود داره :

در بعضی موارد very well ممکنه نقش صفت داشته باشه (قید(very)+صفت(well)) مثلاً وقتی به معنای صحیح و سالم بودن! (healthy) هست .

مثال:

He feels very well (after recovering from an illness) l

* وقتی very well بعد از افعال ربطی (seem, feel, appear, ...) بیاد توصیف کننده فاعل جمله هست.

very well

Mohammd is a very good boy who he speaks English very well

فکر می کنم به he دومی نیازی نیست دیگه.
Mohammd is a very good boy who speaks English very well

seymour
19-06-2008, 12:48

//

فکر می کنم به he دومی نیازی نیست دیگه.
Mohammd is a very good boy who speaks English very well
خب منم گفتم دیگه ... [ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ]

مثلا افعال مربوط به حواس پنجگانه و احساس و اینا ... که می تونن با good هم بیان ..

//

yup [ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ] tha'ts the problem with copy/pasting the example and not checking it

Narsis_E
22-06-2008, 16:39
خب منم گفتم دیگه ... [ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ]

[QUOTE/]

بله نکات اصلی رو شما فرمودین ، این موردی که گفتم یه استثنا بود راجع به این قسمت :
(مثالش رو با افعال ربطی گفتم!) :

[QUOTE]

very well حالت قیدی داره و سعی می کنه یه عمل یا action رو توضیح بده در حالیکه very good حالت صفتی داره و سعی می کنه یه شیء یا فرد و خلاصه یه noun رو توصیف کنه ...

در بعضی موارد very well ممکنه نقش صفت داشته باشه (قید(very)+صفت(well)) مثلاً وقتی به معنای صحیح و سالم بودن! (healthy) هست .

البته در بیشتر از 90 درصر موارد همون حالت قیدی رو داره .

jedivssith
23-06-2008, 03:09
درود

فرق بین Say و Tell را بطور کامل می خواستم و علائم تشخیص گزینه درست در تستها کدام می باشند. اگر چند مثال در زمانهای مختلف هم با این دو کلمه صرف کنید خیلی عالی است و ممنون می شوم.

با سپاس فراوان
بدرود

Narsis_E
23-06-2008, 06:13
درود

فرق بین Say و Tell را بطور کامل می خواستم و علائم تشخیص گزینه درست در تستها کدام می باشند. اگر چند مثال در زمانهای مختلف هم با این دو کلمه صرف کنید خیلی عالی است و ممنون می شوم.

با سپاس فراوان
بدرود

از لحاظ معنایی فرقی ندارند و تفاوتشون در ساختار جمله ای هست که توش استفاده میشن.

وقتی از tell استفاده میشه بایستی حتماً بعدش یه اسم یا ضمیر شخصی داشته باشیم.

Subbject + tell + noun/personal pronoun + ....l

I tell her the truth. (حال ساده)
They told me the news. ("گذشته ساده)

میتونیم بعد از فعل و ضمیر شخصی از یک جمله کامل استفاده کنیم که در این صورت باید ز that استفاده کنیم
He told me that they speak English.
در حالت غیر فرمال و محاوره می تونیم that رو حذف کنیم.

وقتی از اشکال مختلف say(said,will say, have said, had said, ....) استفاده می کنیم:

* یا ضمیر فاعلی و اسم بعدش استفاده نمیشه :
she said much about the meaning.

*یا اگه بخوایم ضمیر و اسم استفاده کنیم باید بعد از فعل to اضافه کنیم:
what did you say to her ?

*یا ممکنه یه جمله کامل بعد از فعل داشته باشیم که در این حالت هم بهتره از یه That استفاده کنیم:
Mina says that they are ready.

برای تست ها هم از همین نکات استفاده کن مثلاً این تست:

I've ......... you not to do that many times before.
(a) told
(b) saying
(c) says
(d) said
گزینه صحیحa هست چون بعد از نقطه چین یه ضمیر داریم و قبلش هم tO نداریم ! پس باید از Told استفاده بشه.
What I ......... and what I do are not necessarily the same.

(a) said
(b) saying
(c) say
(d) tell

گزینه صحیح C هست
a غلطه چون با توجه به do در عبارت بعدی می فهمیم که زمان جمله حال هست b هم به همین دلیل رد میشه (دو تا عبارت با and به هم مربوط شدند و بهتره زمان هر دو یکسان باشه)و البته یه دلیل دیگه اینه که اینجا قبل از نقطه چین فعل توبی are رو هم نداریم.
گزینه d هم غلطه چون چون بعد نقطه چین نه اسم داریم نه ضمیر.

خلاصه اش این که این دو تا ساختار و بهش دقت کن :

Tell someone something
Say something to somebody

jedivssith
24-06-2008, 22:56
درود

فرق Till و Until چیست؟ و از لحاظ گرامری به چه صورت و در چه مواقعی در جمله قرار می گیرد و مورد کاربردهای متفاوت آن را با ذکر مثال می خواستم. مثل قبل و همیشه اگر کامل و مفصل باشد عالی است. و از دوستان پرکار نارسیس ای، سیمور و آرکی گرل و دیگر دوستان عزیز کمال سپاس و قدردانی بسیار دارم که جواب سوالات را قبول زحمت می فرمایند.
بدرود

sepid12ir
25-06-2008, 10:55
تا اونجایی که من میدونم هر دو از نظر معنا یکی هستن...till کوتاه شده ی until هستش و در واقع till غیر رسمیتره و تفاوت دیگرشون هم در اینه که معمولا در ابتدای جمله از until استفاده میشه...و در نوشته های رسمی هم until بسیار رایجتره.

مثال: Let's wait till the rain stops
Let's wait until the rain stops

seymour
25-06-2008, 14:04
تا اونجایی که من میدونم هر دو از نظر معنا یکی هستن...till کوتاه شده ی until هستش و در واقع till غیر رسمیتره و تفاوت دیگرشون هم در اینه که معمولا در ابتدای جمله از until استفاده میشه...و در نوشته های رسمی هم until بسیار رایجتره.

مثال: Let's wait till the rain stops
Let's wait until the rain stops
جواب سپید جان کامل بود ... فقط یه نکته فرعی رو من جسارتا تصحیح می کنم :

همیشه تصور میشه که til حالت کوتاه شده ی until هستش ... در حالیکه اینطوری نیست و در واقع till شکل قدیمی تره ! ... Until بعدا بوجود اومد و اون un به معنای "تا" هستش ... در قرن 18 ظاهرا till رو به شکل till' می نویسن و از اون به بعد این تصور پیش میاد که انگار till شکل خلاصه ی until هستش ...

Antonio Andolini
25-06-2008, 16:55
سلام
چه موقع از such استفاده می کنیم؟!!

seymour
27-06-2008, 15:29
سلام
چه موقع از such استفاده می کنیم؟!!
اینجا به بحث خوبی شده و با so هم مقایسه شده ... (پایین صفحه هم لینک هست به یه سری تمرین)

Antonio Andolini
27-06-2008, 15:38
اینجا به بحث خوبی شده و با so هم مقایسه شده ... (پایین صفحه هم لینک هست به یه سری تمرین)

دستت درد نکنه کاکو ....

jedivssith
01-07-2008, 18:36
درود

گرامر جملات سببی چگونه است. چند حالت دارد؟ اگر هر حالت را با یکی دو مثال توضیح دهید خوب است. نکته دیگر اینکه کاربرد این جملات در زبان انگلیسی چقدر است کم یا زیاد؟

با سپاس فراوان
بدرود

Narsis_E
02-07-2008, 13:07
درود

گرامر جملات سببی چگونه است. چند حالت دارد؟ اگر هر حالت را با یکی دو مثال توضیح دهید خوب است. نکته دیگر اینکه کاربرد این جملات در زبان انگلیسی چقدر است کم یا زیاد؟

با سپاس فراوان
بدرود

جملات سببی در واقع در موقعیت هایی استفاده میشن که یه نفر از یه نفر دیگه خواسته یه کاری رو واسش انجام بده. دو نوع جمله سببی داریم

1- جمله سببی مجهول: در این حالت فقط به این موضوع اشاره میشه که از کسی خواسته شده کاری رو انجام بده ولی شخص کننده کار مشخص نمیشه و ساختارش اینه :

فاعل+have/get+مفعول+ قسمت سوم فعل(pp)
مثال:

I had/got my room painted.(دادم اتاقم رو رنگ بزنند.)
همونطور که می بینید اینجا به شخصی که کار رنگ کردن انجام داده اشاره ای نشده.

2- جمله سببی معلوم:در این حالت علاوه بر کاری که انجام شده ، کننده کار هم مشخص هستو بنا به فعلی که استفاده میشه(have/get)فعل بعدی ممکنه مصدر با to یا بی to! باشه.

*فاعل+have+کننده کار+فعل به صورت مصدر بدون to+مفعول
مثال:
I had Reza paint my room.(دادم رضا اتاقمو رنگ بزنه.)

*فاعل+get+فعل به صورت مصدر با to+ مفعول
مثال:
I will get Ali to take my photo.(از علی می خوام که عکسمو بگیره.)

می بینید که اینجا تو این دو جمله کننده کار هم مشخص هست.
در مورد قسمت دوم سوالتون هم فکر می کنم بر خلاف زبان فارسی این جور جملات در انگلیسی زیاد استفاده میشن.

mashaheeer
03-07-2008, 12:00
در جمله

The LAPD*, The FBI, and the CIA are all trying to prove that they are the best at apprehending criminals
جمله چه نوع جمله اي هست و all چه نقشي داره؟

seymour
03-07-2008, 12:32
اصل جمله (جمله اول) که Present continuous هستش ...

all هم به نظرم pronoun هستش ...

Mehran NZ
05-07-2008, 15:18
دوستان عزیز من در مورد استفاده از کلمه would دچار مشکل شدم
کسی می تونه حالتهایی که از این کلمه استفاده می شه رو با یک مثال از هر کدوم بهم بگه؟

seymour
05-07-2008, 17:00
مورد 3 در این قسمت از سایت BBC رو ببین ... مثالهای خوبی داره :

Mehran NZ
05-07-2008, 19:11
مورد 3 در این قسمت از سایت BBC رو ببین ... مثالهای خوبی داره :

با تشکر از لینک عالیتون مشکل من دقیقا سر این قسمت هستش

Would (or its contracted form 'd in conversational English) is also associated with the conditional in its simple, progressive, perfect and passive aspects:
• 'There's no doubt about it. I would definitely (I'd definitely) travel to Mexico with you, if I could afford it.'
• 'You would still be (you'd still be) working for the World Bank, if you hadn't kicked up such a fuss.'
• 'I would have told you (I'd have told you) all about it, if you had phoned me.'
• 'If you wore smarter clothes, you would be invited (you'd be invited) to all the press conferences.'

می شه این 4 جمله یا حداقل یکی دو تاش و که مثال زده برام معنی کنید؟

Narsis_E
05-07-2008, 20:55
Would (or its contracted form 'd in conversational English) is also associated with the conditional in its simple, progressive, perfect and passive aspects:
• 'There's no doubt about it. I would definitely (I'd definitely) travel to Mexico with you, if I could afford it.'
• 'You would still be (you'd still be) working for the World Bank, if you hadn't kicked up such a fuss.'
• 'I would have told you (I'd have told you) all about it, if you had phoned me.'
• 'If you wore smarter clothes, you would be invited (you'd be invited) to all the press conferences.'

می شه این 4 جمله یا حداقل یکی دو تاش و که مثال زده برام معنی کنید؟

سلام

این 4 تا مثال رو واسه همون 4 زمانی زده که ذکر شده، 3 تای اول برای جملات شرطی معلوم و آخری یه جمله مجهول هست.

1-بدون شک اگه بتونم با شما به مکزیک سفر می کنم.

2-اگه اون آشوب رو به پا نکرده بودی هنوز هم داشتی واسه بانک جهانی کار می کردی.

3-جمله شرطی نوع سوم(گذشته کامل):

در این نوع از شرطی ها جمله ای که با if شروع میشه باید گذشته کامل باشه(had+pp)و جمله دیگ ساختارش اینه:
...+subject+would(should+might+...)+have+pp

اگه با من تماس گرفته بودی همه چیز رو راجع به اون بهت گفته بودم.

4- این جمله زمانش مجهول هست:(would+be+pp)
اگه لباس شیک تری پوشیده بودی به همه کنفرانس های مطبوعاتی دعوت میشدی(شده بودی)

the dead
07-07-2008, 09:56
اينجا به جای his نبايد their استفاده ميکرد
اين رو هم يک توضيحی بدين
در ظمن indefinite adj و indefinite pronoun چيست؟

Mehran NZ
07-07-2008, 10:32
سلام

این 4 تا مثال رو واسه همون 4 زمانی زده که ذکر شده، 3 تای اول برای جملات شرطی معلوم و آخری یه جمله مجهول هست.

1-بدون شک اگه بتونم با شما به مکزیک سفر می کنم.

2-اگه اون آشوب رو به پا نکرده بودی هنوز هم داشتی واسه بانک جهانی کار می کردی.

3-جمله شرطی نوع سوم(گذشته کامل):

در این نوع از شرطی ها جمله ای که با if شروع میشه باید گذشته کامل باشه(had+pp)و جمله دیگ ساختارش اینه:
...+subject+would(should+might+...)+have+pp

اگه با من تماس گرفته بودی همه چیز رو راجع به اون بهت گفته بودم.

4- این جمله زمانش مجهول هست:(would+be+pp)
اگه لباس شیک تری پوشیده بودی به همه کنفرانس های مطبوعاتی دعوت میشدی(شده بودی)

ممنون دوست عزیز مشکل حل شد :46:

Narsis_E
07-07-2008, 13:54
اينجا به جای his نبايد their استفاده ميکرد

فکر می کنم اینجا His به فاعل جمله (the cats) بر نمی گرده!! چون اگه این طور بود که خب باید their استفاده می کرد (همیشه ضمایر به فاعل مربوط نمیشن!)
شاید منظورش اینه که گربه ها توی خونه ی او(مثلاً رضا) هستند.

اين رو هم يک توضيحی بدين

در ظمن indefinite adj و indefinite pronoun چيست؟

صفت مبهم - ضمیر مبهم

all, any, each, every, few, many, some از صفات مبهم هستند که در حمله قبل از اسم یا عبارت اسم قرار می گیرند و نقش وصفی دارند.مثلاً :
Many students like to read scientific books.

all,another,any,anybody,anything,each,everybody,ev erything,few,many,nobody,several,some, "somebody,".... از ضمایر مبهم هستند که نقش اسمی دارند (ممکنه فاعل ، مفعول و ... باشند) مثلاً:

Many were invited to the lunch but only ten came.
______
در این مثالی هم که شما فرمودین میگه اگه اسمی که توی جمله داریم یه اسم معلوم باشه (مثلاً اینجا بدونیم دانش آموزان که میگه منظورش کیه!) نقش many ازصفت تبدیل به ضمیر میشه.(نیازی نیست دوباره studentsتکرار بشه!)

many students (در نقش صفت) ...........> many(در نقش ضمیر)

morteza-stfu
08-07-2008, 13:01
سلام کسی میدونه سوال کوتاه جمله زیر چیه؟
I may go there

mohammad.clergyman
08-07-2008, 13:16
?may I go there

ضمنا بد نبود یه نگاهی هم به صفحه اول انجمن مینداختی تا ببینی کجا باید فارسی بنویسی !

seymour
08-07-2008, 14:33
نه ، لزوما ... I may go there بخاطر استفاده از فعل may باعث میشه که در حالت سوالی با ابهام روبرو بشیم ... may I go there داره اجازه می گیره که " میشه برم ؟ ... اگه اجازه میدید " ... در حالیکه جمله خبری I may go there معمولا داره یه احتمال رو مطرح می کنه و نه یه اجازه ... (شاید برم ، شایدم نرم) ...

اینکه دقیقا کدوم فعل باید استفاده بشه (کاندیدهای دیگه : can و might) محل اختلاف نظره ... و یه علت حل نشدن این اختلاف نظرها اینه که معمولا واسه native (کسی که زبان مادری اش انگلیسیه) این ابهام پیش نمیاد ... مغزش اتوماتیک جمله و معنای مناسب رو ردیف می کنه ... [ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ]

یه راه حل مرسوم اینه که جمله رو طوری تغییر بدیم که ابهام رفع بشه :[ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ]

are you going there ?
I may go there.

اما اگه قرار باشه بچسبیم به همون جمله ، might i go there می تونه سوال مناسب تری باشه ... چون یه قول معروف اینه که might رو بذاریم واسه احتمال عقلانی (logical) و may رو بذاریم واسه اجازه گرفتن ..

www.babakebadi.com
08-07-2008, 19:08
نه ، لزوما ... I may go there بخاطر استفاده از فعل may باعث میشه که در حالت سوالی با ابهام روبرو بشیم ... may I go there داره اجازه می گیره که " میشه برم ؟ ... اگه اجازه میدید " ... در حالیکه جمله خبری I may go there معمولا داره یه احتمال رو مطرح می کنه و نه یه اجازه ... (شاید برم ، شایدم نرم) ...

اینکه دقیقا کدوم فعل باید استفاده بشه (کاندیدهای دیگه : can و might) محل اختلاف نظره ... و یه علت حل نشدن این اختلاف نظرها اینه که معمولا واسه native (کسی که زبان مادری اش انگلیسیه) این ابهام پیش نمیاد ... مغزش اتوماتیک جمله و معنای مناسب رو ردیف می کنه ... [ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ]

یه راه حل مرسوم اینه که جمله رو طوری تغییر بدیم که ابهام رفع بشه :[ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ]

are you going there ?
I may go there.

اما اگه قرار باشه بچسبیم به همون جمله ، might i go there می تونه سوال مناسب تری باشه ... چون یه قول معروف اینه که might رو بذاریم واسه احتمال عقلانی (logical) و may رو بذاریم واسه اجازه گرفتن ..

Perfect Explanation

Narsis_E
09-07-2008, 15:33
سلام
دوستان سوال این دوستمون راجع به tag question (سوال تاکیدی) بوده ها !!

فکر کنم اگه بنا به قاعده سوالهای تاکیدی بخوایم TQ رو تعیین کنیم، به این صورت میشه:
I may go there, mayn't I ?

که البته فکر می کنم این فرم خیلی رایج نیست، به نظر من اگه قرار باشه سوال تاکیدی بعد از این جمله بیاد استفاده از right بهتره :

I may go there, right?

نوشته شده توسط seymour

سیمور عزیز طبق این موردی که شما گفتین(اگه بخوایم از لحاظ معنایی درست باشه) به نظرتون این چطوره؟

I may go there, might not I?

دوستان لطفاً اگه نظر بهتری دارید بفرمایید

Narsis_E
09-07-2008, 16:24
ویکی پدیا رو که چک کردم به این مورد اشاره کرده:

an adverb ([ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ]) or adverbial ([ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ]) may serve the purpose instead: right? all right? surely? OK? eh?

فکر می کنم اگه یکی از این موارد استفاه بشه جمله قشنگ تره !(جمله دوم:I may go there, right?)

morteza-stfu
10-07-2008, 12:53
فکر کنم اگه بنا به قاعده سوالهای تاکیدی بخوایم TQ رو تعیین کنیم، به این صورت میشه:
در پاسخ این دوستمون که گفتن mayn't i جواب درسته باید بگم در تمامی سوالات کوتاه از منفی مخفف یا چیبیده استفاده می کنیم مثل:don't , shan't و... .
اما may شکل مخفف منفی ندارد یعنی mayn't غلته.همچنین am هم مخفف منفی نداره یعنی amn't غلته و در TQ به جای amn't I از aren't I استفاده میشه.مثل:
I am your friend,aren't I?

Narsis_E
10-07-2008, 20:52
در پاسخ این دوستمون که گفتن mayn't i جواب درسته باید بگم در تمامی سوالات کوتاه از منفی مخفف یا چیبیده استفاده می کنیم مثل:don't , shan't و... .
اما may شکل مخفف منفی ندارد یعنی mayn't غلته.همچنین am هم مخفف منفی نداره یعنی amn't غلته و در TQ به جای amn't I از aren't I استفاده میشه.مثل:
I am your friend,aren't I?

این طور نیست دوست عزیز may هم شکل مخفف منفی داره می تونید این لینک ها رو چک کنید:

Now, father," said Nancy, "is there any call for you to go home to tea? Mayn't you just as well stay with us?--such a beautiful evening as it's likely to be."

'Well, well, mayn't I chance to see you, maybe? mayn't I look at you marching, Masther Richard, at a distance only? I wouldn't care so much, I think, if I could see you sometimes.'

ولی همونطور که قبلاً هم گفتم:

که البته فکر می کنم این فرم خیلی رایج نیست،

و در زبان گفتار و نوشتار به ندرت استفاده میشه مثل mightn't(که البته این یکی کمی رایج تره!).

و در پست قبلی هم گفتم که:

به نظر من اگه قرار باشه سوال تاکیدی بعد از این جمله بیاد استفاده از right بهتره :

I may go there, right?

seymour
11-07-2008, 13:19
سلام
دوستان سوال این دوستمون راجع به tag question (سوال تاکیدی) بوده ها !!

که البته فکر می کنم این فرم خیلی رایج نیست، به نظر من اگه قرار باشه سوال تاکیدی بعد از این جمله بیاد استفاده از right بهتره :

I may go there, right?

سیمور عزیز طبق این موردی که شما گفتین(اگه بخوایم از لحاظ معنایی درست باشه) به نظرتون این چطوره؟

I may go there, might not I?

دوستان لطفاً اگه نظر بهتری دارید بفرمایید
راستش باید اعتراف کنم که علاقه و انگیزه اصلی من مطرح کردن اون ابهام بود ([ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ]) ... یعنی می خوام نتیجه بگیره که وجود اون ابهام باعث میشه که اصلا وجود/عدم وجود این سوال مورد تردید قرار بگیره .. . یعنی منظورم اینه که ما اول باید ببینیم سیستم در این مورد چه حرفی داره ، بعدش براساس حرف سیستم سوال رو جواب بدیم ...[ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ]

morteza-stfu
12-07-2008, 15:53
سلام راستش من خودم جواب این سوال رو میدونستم و همینجوری پرسیدمش!
تو یه فروم که مال دوستمه هم این سوال رو پرسیدم اون جواب درست رو داد.هرکی که میخواد ببینه جواب درست چیه به آدرس زیر بره:

marn
12-07-2008, 15:57
Im Sure the explanation of seymour is good but it has a bit problem so dont bite it

seymour
12-07-2008, 18:21
سلام راستش من خودم جواب این سوال رو میدونستم و همینجوری پرسیدمش!
تو یه فروم که مال دوستمه هم این سوال رو پرسیدم اون جواب درست رو داد.هرکی که میخواد ببینه جواب درست چیه به آدرس زیر بره:

حالا چون شما با قاطعیت گفتی که " جواب درست " ، بنده قصد جسارت ندارم ... اما میشه منبع ارائه بدی که چرا این جواب درسته ؟ ... کنجکاوم ... من تو عمرم همچین ترکیبی نشنیدم ... [ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ]

بهرحال بنده با چند تا از کاربرهای جای دیگه که ظاهرا native هستند چک کردم این قضیه ... جوابی که روش اتفاق نظر بود : Can I go there بودش ... توجیه قشنگی که مطرح شده بود این بود که can می تونه یه حالت " پرسش از خود" بگیره... واسه همینه که اگه یه شاگرد از معلم بپرسه " can i go to the bathroom " ، معلم جواب میده " I dont know , can you ؟ " ...

در مقایسه should I go there هم مناسب به نظر میاد با این فرق که می تونه حالت نظرسنجی به خود هم بگیره ... (= ارزشش رو داره ؟ امنه ؟) ... can بیشتر روی امکان مانور میده (اتوبوس گیر میاد ؟ راهها بازه ؟)

morteza-stfu
12-07-2008, 19:44
seymour عزیز تو حق داری.
منبع من معلم زبان سال اول دبیرستانمه که واقعا معلم خوبی بود.اصلا این سوال اون بود.به ما هم گفت که جوابش اینه ما هم گفتیم چشم. درضمن من از هرکی که تو زبان یه چیزی بلده این سوال رو پرسیدم همه میگفتن که mayn't نمیشه وباید از یک تر کیب دبگه استفاده کرد.من از معلم زبان امسالم(دوم دبیرستان)همین سوال رو پرسیدم اون نمیدونست ولی گفت نزدیک ترین گزینه won't هستش.به نظر من هم اگه don't نباشه پس won't باید درست باشه.البته شاید گوش های من ایراد داشته باشه و من won't رو don't شنیدم ولی 109 نفر دیگه که تو پایه ی اول بودن چی؟تو خودت یه ترکیب مناسب بجز mayn't رو معرفی کن.

seymour
13-07-2008, 11:02
خب پس به من حق بده که مشکوک باشم ... زبان اول دبیرستان ، در سطحی نیست که بتونه با این ابهامات formal سروکله بزنه .. [ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ]

بهرحال من واسه اطمینان یه بار دیگه هم سوال کردم و در یک کتاب گرامر هم چک کردم و همون چیزی که توی پست 12 بود تایید شد به نوعی ... یعنی برای زمان حال can't I مناسب ذکر شده بود به نوعی ... (و حتی won't I برای آینده و mightn't I برای گذشته هم رد نشده بود)

ولی همونطور که توی پست 9 گفتم ، بحث اصلی این بود که اصلا چنین فرمی رو می تونیم قایل باشیم یا نه ... تجربه نشون میده که هر وقت به اینجور بن بست ها می خوریم ، دقیقا اتفاقی میفته که در پست 3 عرض کردم ... یعنی native ها اتوماتیک بی خیال قضیه میشن و ما غیر native ها بدون جواب قطعی رها میشیم .. [ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ]

Parnyan
17-07-2008, 11:00
Hi there

I have some toefl test could U plz answer them 4me??1

fertilizer are used primarily to enrich the soil and increasing yield
(A) (B) (C) (D)

If the ozon gases of the atmosphere did not filter out the ultraviolet rays of the sun , life, as
(A) (B)
we know it , would not have evolved on earth
(C) (D)

AlL ThE BesT

seymour
17-07-2008, 11:38
D

A

Kite102
19-07-2008, 22:48
I don't understand whats being discussed here completely but I can tell you this:

Mayn't is an archaic word which is rarely used in English speech nowadays.

SCYTHE
21-07-2008, 16:45
I go to the trouble of deciding whether I must use or not "the" before the words like "Earth" or "Mars":13:
Anyone can help me?, especially in the above-mentioned cases
Thanks in advance:11:1

SCYTHE
22-07-2008, 00:12
Would u tell me where I can use "all of" structure, e.g. which sentences are grammatically wrong:

I hate all of these books
I stayed awake all of the night
All of pains are curable except loneliness

jinn's king
22-07-2008, 09:58
Hello dear friend

At first I have to tell you that the article “the” is used just for “sun” , “earth” and “moon” not for any other planet or star such as this
The sun
The moon
The earth
And using the for mars is not correct
“The Mars” is completely wrong but “the earth” is correct.

Have fun

jinn's king
22-07-2008, 10:02
Hello again

You asked for the usage of “all of” as much as I know it is used for these three structures

1- all of + the + noun
Example: all of the children ran away

2- all of +object
Example: all of them came here

3- the term “all of a sudden” means suddenly
Example: all of a sudden it became cloudy and began to rain

I know it has several usages but that was all I knew I wish that it could help you.
According to my structures it seems that the sentence “I hate all of these books” is correct referring to second structure

Your second sentence is also correct referring to structure no 1
All of + the + noun
All of + the + night

But the last sentence doesn’t seem right
If it were “all of the pains” or “ all pains” it could be correct from the grammatical point of view

All of the pains are curable ……
All pains are curable ……..

Live your life

SCYTHE
22-07-2008, 15:53
Really thanks for yr time n attention:11:, yr answers were complete n clear
Thank you once more:10:
cheers

the dead
24-07-2008, 08:50
i don't understand these lines of text about stative & dynamic verbs:
A stative verb is one which asserts that one of its arguments has a particular property (possibly in relation to its other arguments). Statives differ from other aspectual classes of verbs in that they are static; they have no duration and no distinguished endpoint. Verbs which are not stative are often called dynamic verbs.
explain these two topic extender for me with example
thx

seymour
24-07-2008, 16:51
i don't understand these lines of text about stative & dynamic verbs:
A stative verb is one which asserts that one of its arguments has a particular property (possibly in relation to its other arguments). Statives differ from other aspectual classes of verbs in that they are static; they have no duration and no distinguished endpoint. Verbs which are not stative are often called dynamic verbs.
explain these two topic extender for me with example
thx
ترجمه : افعال stative اون افعالی هستند که یک خاصیت و ویژگی رو به یکی از کلمات جمله نسبت میدن ... (احتمالا این نسبت ، در تناسب با دیگر کلمات جمله هستش) ... تفاوت افعال stative با دیگر انواع افعال اینه که این افعال static هستن ؛ یعنی در طول زمان جاری نیستند - نقطه پایانی ندارند ... افعالی که static نیستند رو dynamic می نامیم .

توضیح : افعال stative اونایی هستن که بجای اینکه رخ دادن یه عملی رو نشون بدن ، دارن یه حالتی رو بیان می کنن ... واسه اینکه خیلی ساده متوجه قضیه بشی توجه کن که معمولا با این افعال نمیشه ing رو آورد ... (چون زمان ندارند - فقط دارن یه حالت رو نشون میدن) .. مثلا I am knowing this !!! ... بی معناس ، چون know یه فعل stative هستش در اینجا و زمان نمی گیره ...

یه روش دیگه هم اینه که نمیشه این افعال رو تحمیل کرد یا به کسی اجبار کرد .. مثلا I forced him to know the answer !!! ... اینم بی معناس ..

از افعالی که معمولا stative هستن : seem - believe - think- containt

SCYTHE
25-07-2008, 11:48
Would u check these sentences grammatically?

1-choosing a name for my company is getting difficult for me

ٌ2-When I was walking on the street, someone was following me

Thanks