PDA

نسخه کامل مشاهده نسخه کامل : How to improve vocabulary??l

Shovaliye.Siya
29-07-2006, 02:02
hi dear friends

I need help about improving vocabulary
I used to G5 box for two years but now I feel I forgot most of words that I memorized if that is posible please express your way of memorization English words for me
yours

shoeib
05-08-2006, 01:13
hi shovaliye
i suggest watching movies . it's an excellent way to improve your vocabulary . at least it is useful for me .
in a movie for you will see lots of scenes which are followed by the english suntitles , it will force you to concentrate on the movie and the words which are said

Shovaliye.Siya
08-08-2006, 01:35
thanks buddy for your interesting suggestion
I will try it .that sounds great

rezamjir
08-08-2006, 02:40
There is no accounting for tastes . Using other's method of memorizing the new words in the conversation may have no effect on you . You yourself should find a method of improving your vocabulary . For example , I usually learn new words by heart using my method which is speaking to myself using the new words in the sentences whenever alone . It's worth trying

babak_beiknejat
11-09-2006, 00:39
hello my friend
i think there is a way for you to stick new words in your mind
i recommend you use the new word in a senteces and repeat it more and more
you can get standard sentences in oxford dictionary
good luck :)

meisam_629
05-10-2009, 14:22
hi dear friends

I need help about improving vocabulary
I used to G5 box for two years but now I feel I forgot most of words that I memorized if that is posible please express your way of memorization English words for me
yours

well, you should listen to words, and try to use them in your daily life. try to use the books that have the name : " daily English speakings".

hi shovaliye
i suggest watching movies . it's an excellent way to improve your vocabulary . at least it is useful for me .
in a movie for you will see lots of scenes which are followed by the english suntitles , it will force you to concentrate on the movie and the words which are said

yes, I think watching movies are very good. but always watch movies that you like, because when you like a movie, you see it over and over and finally you can memorize all the conversation in that movie.but I personally think animations are very very good to improve listening skills. have a nice time.

mr6768
05-10-2009, 15:52
the method i used :
1- seeing english movies with english subtitle , it is really useful, because youre gonna learn the usage of the word beside learning just a word .
2- speaking to myself with the words i had learned in new movies

bijibuji
08-11-2009, 00:10
does anyone have a software for vocab practice for conquer examination?

Dragoman
08-11-2009, 10:12
does anyone have a software for vocab practice for conquer examination?

Salam

Vocaboly: Vocabulary builder for SAT, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT and general vocabulary

Link: motarjemonline.com/downloads-17.php

Also you can follow this topic: Improve Your English with podcast

[ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ]

Ramana
26-12-2009, 10:10
Describing people in English
There are many ways to talk about physical appearance

My grandfather is quite old. In fact, as he has a pension, he is an old age pensioner, or a senior citizen.
His daughter, my aunt, is 55, and middle-aged. She has three sons. One is a young adult, at 24 years of age, and the other two are both teenagers. They are 16 and 17. My sister also has two children – one toddler who is a two-year old, and a baby who is 6 months old.
Build

People are built in all shapes and sizes. There are those who are fat and overweight. Some people are extremely overweight and are obese. Other people are naturally slim, but others look have absolutely no fat on them and are thin, or skinny.
Personally, I am stocky – small, but well-built. My father is tall and lean – with very little fat. My sister is short, but wiry – she is quite thin, but muscular. Both my brothers are athletic and well-proportioned. My mother looks like a 1940's film star. She is curvaceous, with an hour-glass figure.
My grandfather is fit for his age and takes plenty of exercise. He doesn't want all his muscles to get flabby.
Colouring

My sister is an English rose – she has fair hair and fair skin. She doesn't tan easily and has to be careful in the sun. My mother is blonde, also with a fair complexion. I am a red-head – with red hair. Like many other people with a pale complexion, I get freckles from the sun – small brown dots on my face and arms. In contrast, my father has dark-brown hair and he is quite dark-skinned. You are born with a colour – white or Caucasian, black or Asian. People whose parents are of different ethnic origin are mixed-race. Southern Europeans are sometimes described as Mediterranean.
Face

Faces, like build, vary a lot. Some people have oval faces – their foreheads are much wider than their chins. Other people have heart-shaped, square or round faces.
Features also vary. My grandfather has bushy eyebrows (he has lots of hair!), a hooked nose and high cheekbones. His eyes are large and set quite far apart. My mother has a broad nose, which she hates, as she prefers narrow noses. But she is lucky to have even or regular teeth. My sister corrected her crooked teeth by wearing a brace which straightened them. She has rosy cheeks, small ears and a snub nose, which goes up at the end.
I have long, curly hair, though my sister is the opposite, with short, straight hair. Her hair is finethick and heavy. My mother's hair is wavy – in between straight and curly. It's cut in a bob and she also has a short fringe, where it is cut horizontally across her forehead. My father is losing his hair – in fact he is going bald, which makes him very sad. My brother looks like he is going to lose his hair too – it is receding and doesn't weigh very much, but mine is

Ramana
26-12-2009, 10:11
Words for Entertainment in English

What do you like doing in your spare time? Do you go somewhere with your friends or your family? Here is some useful English vocabulary for talking about entertainment

The cinema

Many people regularly go to the cinema (or the pictures). Most towns have a multiplex (= multi-screen) cinema which shows a wide range of films, from feature films to family films. Films are classified in Britain, with U suitable for all ages, PG (parental guidance) suitable for everyone over the age of 8, 12 (where no children can watch unless they are with an adult), 15 (where no one under the age of 15 can watch) and 18 (only suitable for adults
).

The theatre

Large towns as well as the major cities have theatres, where you can see plays, musicals or pantomimes (a comedy play performed over Christmas). You can choose to go in the afternoon, for the matinee (pronounced "mat - in - ay") performance, or in the evening.

Generally, the more you pay, the better seat you get. The stalls are the seats at ground level in front of the stage, and these have the best views. Then there are the seats in the Dress Circle (or Royal Circle), which are in the first balcony. They also have good views of the stage. Then there are the seats in the Upper Circle, which are in the second balcony. Above this are cheaper seats in the Balcony or the Gallery, which are so high up that it's often difficult to see the actors. There are also seats in the Boxes, which are private rooms built into the side walls of the theatre

Live music

Large cities can offer you a huge range of musical performances, from opera to classical concerts to jazz, folk, rock and pop gigs (= concerts). In summer there are often music festivals, with Glastonbury Festival being one of the most popular.

Family entertainment

Bank holidays and weekends are favourite times to go out with your family. Some things, such as circuses, zoos and water parks can be quite expensive. But other events, such as fun-days, parades and carnivals are much cheaper. Children often like to go by themselves to funfairs, where they can go on the rides and eat candyfloss

A cheap night out

There are also plenty of cheap activities available in English towns and cities. Bingo is popular, and in London, people still go to the dogs, to see and bet on dog racing. You can often find a leisure centre in towns, which offer sport facilities. Many English people go to their local (= pub) where they can play darts or pool (= a type of snooker), as well as have a drink with friends.

At the weekend, younger people often go clubbing (= night clubs) or to a disco with their friends

Ramana
26-12-2009, 10:12
Renovating and decorating your house

Many people in the UK like renovating or "doing up" their houses to keep up with fashions and trends. Here are some useful English words and phrases to describe this

Decorating

give something a lick / a coat of paint = paint walls

hang / put up wallpaper = to attach new paper to the walls

fit / put up blinds or curtains = cover the windows either with curtains (fabric hanging across the window) or blinds (strips of plastic or fabric that cover the window)

throw out / replace the old light fittings = change the lights

go for a (name of fashion) effect = recreate a particular look

put the finishing touches to = complete the decoration with the final details

Renovation

have an extension = build on to the existing house to provide more rooms

put in a conservatory / a fitted kitchen / a new bathroom = to install a conservatory (room between the back of the house and the garden), a fitted kitchen (where the units are connected, rather than being single pieces) or a new bathroom

convert the loft (have a loft conversion) = convert the attic into a liveable room

turn the dining room into a spare bedroom = convert a room into one with a different purpose

knock down a wall = demolish a wall

knock through from the kitchen = demolish the wall from the kitchen into another room

build a patio = build a paved area around part or the whole of the house

rewire the house = put in new electrical wiring

install central heating / solar panels = put in a new heating system

re-plaster the ceiling = take off the old plaster (covering the bricks) and replace it with new

re-tile the bathroom = put new tiles on the floor and walls

Other useful expressions

diy = Do it Yourself (doing maintenance and building works in your house)

be handy around the house = to be practical and able to do jobs in the house

draw up plans = to make technical plans before you do building or renovation work

get planning / building permission = to get authorisation from the town hall to do work on your house

Ramana
26-12-2009, 10:13
Talking about anger in English

How can you describe someone who is angry? These words and expressions can be used to describe different strengths of anger, from mild anger to rage

Mild anger

grumpy = someone who is often in a bad mood and complains a lot (esp old people): "He's such a grumpy old man
!"

crotchety = someone who is easily irritated: "I hate it when you're in a crotchety mood."

irritated = when something makes you a bit angry: "To be honest, I'm a bit irritated with my husband. He promised me dinner, then told me he had to work late."

annoyed = irritated: "He really annoyed me, talking through the film."

snappy = when you are in a bad mood and speak sharply to people: "She's in a very snappy mood today."

cross = angry: "It makes me very cross when people don't stop at the pedestrian crossing."

get out of bed on the wrong side = wake up in a bad mood: "Don't expect any sympathy from Joe. He got out of bed on the wrong side this morning."

be rubbed up the wrong way = to be put in a bad mood by someone: "Don't worry too much about him. He was rubbed up the wrong way when we started talking about promotion."

get up your nose = irritates: "It really gets up my nose when they start talking about football."

get hot under the collar = become angry: "He got really hot under the collar when he couldn't buy a train ticket."

be in a strop / stroppy: easily angered: "She's turning into a stroppy teenager
."

Very angry

pissed off (British slang) = angry: "I was really pissed off by her attitude."

furious = very angry: "She was furious when he told her the news."

livid = very angry: "I was absolutely livid when I found out."

in a black mood = be very angry: "He always gets in a black mood when he sees his team lose."

spitting mad = be very angry: "He got me spitting mad!"

see red = be uncontrollably angry: "When I realised she was lying, I just saw red."

like a red rag to a bull = provoke someone to anger: "Talking about politics is like a red rag to a bull to him."

be in a foul mood = be in a bad mood: "She was in a foul mood all last week
."

Your reactions

What can you say to someone who is mildly angry?

Keep your hair on! (Don't lose your temper.)

Calm down!

Take it easy!

Don't let it get to you. = don't let something make you angry.

Turn the other cheek. = Ignore it.

Don't get your knickers in a twist! (British slang) = Don't let it affect you.

Ramana
26-12-2009, 10:14
تبعیض :

Discrimination, bias, prejudice, partiality, favoritism, favor, preference

I am against any kind of discrimination on the basis of race or nationality or religion.

من با هر گونه تبعیض بر مبنای نژاد یا ملیت یا مذهب مخالفم.

تبعیض جنسی:

--- discrimination, discrimination on the basis of gender, sexism

تبعیض نژادی:

Apartheid, racial discrimination, racism, racist

Ramana
26-12-2009, 10:14
Blood Blue blood : اصالت خانوادگی

blood-hound: سگ پلیس

bloodless: بدون خونریزی-سرد-بی عاطفه

blood money: خون بها-دیه

blood-shed: خونریزی-آدمکشی

bloodshot: چشم خون گرفته-قرمز

bloodletting: حجامت

Ramana
26-12-2009, 10:15
Someone who likes a particular type of music,sport,book etc

Lover Enthusiast

Freak devotee

Fan

Lover [n C]

Be a lover of Mr Roach was a lover of the arts and had a particular passion for classical music. \jazz/art/animal etc lover Every jazz lover , at some time in their life, has dreamed of visiting New Orleans. Great lover(=Someone whi likes or cares about something very much)Miss Bardot has gained the reputation of being a great animal lover.

Freak fitness/health-food/jazz etc Freak (= an informal word: someone who is extremely interested in fitness etc) [n C]

Raw vegtables in fitness and nuts have always been a favourite with health-food freaks.\Jack isn’t wild about pop music, But Jason is a real reggae٭ freak.

reggae٭: noun a style of popular music with a strongly accented subsidiary beat, originating in Jamaica.

Fan someone who likes a particular performer or activity very much, and watches or listens to them as often as possible [n C]

The fans shouted and screamed as Michael Jackson walked onto the stage. \opera/jazz/baseball etc fan Gina loved going to the theatre and was a great opera fan.

\be a big/great fan of (=have an extremely strong likeing for) I’ve never been a big fan of TV shows.

Enthusiast someone who likes a subject, activity, performer etc very much, is very interested in them and knows a lot about them [n C]

Football/film/jazz etc enthusiast

Real enthusisats are willing to pay up to $12,000 for an original copy of the book.

Devotee someone who likes something sych as art or literature so much that they spend a lot of their time and money on it [n C]

He’s and devotee of old Hollywoods movies

Ramana
26-12-2009, 10:15
Verbs and Phrasal Verbs About Clothes
/* /*]]>*/Lets Learn English[ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ]

Many verbs have different meanings, however this section deals with verbs and phrasal verbs connected with clothes . An example is provided only where the verb is commonly used in everyday conversation.
One irregular verb in bold is shown in all its forms.

Verbs

The Verb (infinitive form)

The Meaning

An example
( Simple Past Tense)

R=Regular Verb
I=Irregular Verb
To attire
To dress (especially in fine elegant clothes).
(Rarely used in conversation)
R
To buckle
To fasten an item of clothing using a buckle.
She buckled up her daughters shoes.
R
To button
To fasten an item of clothing using buttons.
She buttoned up her cardigan before she went outside.
R
To clothe
To dress (yourself or someone else).
(Rarely used in conversation)
R
To dress

or more common

To get dressed
To put clothes on (yourself or someone else).
She dressed before she went to work.

or

She got dressed before she went to work.
R

(get is irregular)
To fasten
To secure an item of clothing, using zips, buttons or buckles.
She fastened his jacket to make sure he didn't get cold.
R
To undress

or more common

To get undressed
To take off clothes (your own or someone elses).
He undressed before getting into the shower.
R

(get is irregular)
To unfasten
To undo or open an item of clothing.
He unfastened his tie before he took it off.
R
To unzip
To unfasten an item of clothing using a zip.
She unzipped her jacket when she got too warm.
R
To wear
To have an item of clothing on one's person.
She wore her best suit for the interview.
I
To zip
To fasten an item of clothing using a zip.
She zipped up her jacket before she went outside.
R

Phrasal Verbs

The Phrasal Verb

The Meaning

An example
( Simple Past Tense)

S=Separable
I=Inseparable
do up
To fasten an item of clothing.
She did his jacket up for him before he left the house.
S
dress up
To dress (oneself or another) in your best clothes.

or

To put on fancy dress (disguise oneself or another to be someone else) in children's games.
She enjoyed dressing up to go out.

or

The children enjoyed dressing up in their mother's clothes.
I
hang out
To dry clothes outside after washing.
The weather was fine, so she hung out the washing.
S
hang up
To put something on a hook or a hanger.
She was a very neat child. She hung her clothes up every night.
S
have on
To wear an item of clothing on one's person.
She had a red t-shirt on when he saw her.
S
kick off
To remove your shoes quickly.
He kicked his shoes off as soon as he got home.
S
put on
To dress yourself or someone else with an item or items of clothing.
He put his shoes on before he went out.
S
slip on
To put on an item of clothing easily.
She slipped her sandals on before she went into the sea.
S
take off
To remove any item of clothing.
He took his shoes off before he went to bed.
S
try on
To put on an item of clothing to find out whether it fits or is suitable.
She always tried shoes on before she bought them.
S
throw on
To put on an item of clothing quickly and without thought.
She was in such a hurry she just threw on a few clothes before she left the house.
S
turn up
To shorten trousers, a dress or a skirt so that they fit better.
Her jeans were too long, so she turned them up.
S
wrap up
To put warm clothes on.
His mother told him to wrap himself up warm because it was so cold outside.
S
zip up
To fasten an item of clothing using a zip.
It was cold outside, so he zipped his jacket up.
S

Ramana
26-12-2009, 10:16
ODDs

To Live Is To Love
To Love Is To Feel
To Feel Is To Hurt
To Hurt Is To Lose
To Lose Is To Hate
To Hate Is To Heal
To Heal Is To Change
To Change Is To Risk
To Risk Is To Love
Love Is A Risk Everyone Takes
Some Of Us Win
Some Of Us Lose
Its A Lottery Of Hearts
You Never Know What To Expect
Just Keep Playing The Odds And Pray For The Best ...
Have Fun And Keep Your Masks On

The Odds

the balance of advantage; superiority in strength, power, or resources:
the chances of something happening or being the case.

at odds in conflict or at variance.
it makes no odds informal, chiefly Brit. it does not matter. [from an earlier use of odds in the sense 'difference in advantage or effect'.]
lay (or give) odds offer a bet with odds favourable to the other better.
over the odds Brit. (especially of a price) above what is generally considered acceptable.
take odds offer a bet with odds unfavourable to the other better.

Ramana
26-12-2009, 10:17
Spice up your nightlife with English

It's the weekend, and it's time to have some good times! With so many entertainment possibilities, it's good to be armed with a variety of fun expressions that you can use.

Dressed to the nines
Any big night out begins at home with a wardrobe full of clothes, a mirror and some imagination! When you are dressed to the nines it means that you are wearing some seriously fashionable clothes. For example, you might say, "If we're going to the cocktail party we'd better get dressed to the nines!"

Grab a bite to eat
You may want to start the night with a quick dinner at a restaurant or cafe, which we call grabbing a bite to eat. For example, your friend might ask you, "Do you want to grab a bite to eat before we go out?"

Go and catch a flick
Early evening is a great time to pay a visit to the local cinema and catch up on the latest big movie. Informally, we say that we are going to catch a flick when we are going to watch a movie. For example, your friends may say, "Let's go and catch a flick at the cinema tonight!"

Paint the town red
By now, everyone is probably ready to let loose and have some fun! This is what we call painting the town red, having a really great night out with friends! So, when you're friends asks "Do you want to go and paint the town red?" they're not expecting you to bring paint and paintbrushes!

Go bar-hopping
Part of your big night out might include stopping into a few bars for some relaxing drinks and to meet up with friends. By bar-hopping we mean that you go to one bar for a while, and then hop, or move on, to several more.

Shoot some pool
While bar-hopping you might spot a pool table and feel like having a quick game or two. Don't worry, it's not as dangerous as it sounds - shooting some pool simply means to play pool!

Dance the night away
Hearing lots of music while bar-hopping has probably got everyone in the mood for a disco! Dancing the night away means to dance for hours and hours until the early hours of the next morning. So when someone asks you the next day why you are so tired, you can tell them, "Because last night I danced the night away

Ramana
26-12-2009, 10:18
Survival English for eating out

([ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ])

Eating is simple. Eating out isn't … if you're traveling in a foreign country, that is! But don't panic – we won't let you starve. Check out this list of important dining phrases that will surely help you ease those hunger pangs!

1. I'd like to make a reservation. For some restaurants, you’ll need to call in advance to secure a table. Be prepared to give the number of people in your group, the time you will arrive and your name. "I’d like to make a reservation for four at 8 p.m. for Kristi." The receptionist may ask for your phone number or about your smoking preference, so have this information ready.

2. Could you repeat that, please? This phrase isn't unique to eating out, but it's very important. Restaurants can be loud. Waiters talk fast. If you don't understand something, ask them, "Could you repeat that?" Of course, a simple, "Excuse me?" will also work. Don’t be afraid to use it often!

3. We need another minute. Use this phrase if the waiter approaches to take your order, but you’re not ready. You’ll hear, "Are you ready to order?" Respond with, "Not yet. We need another minute," or "Can we have another minute?" Be aware that "a minute" in a busy restaurant usually means the waiter will return in five.

4. I'd like/I'll have ... These are the two most important phrases! Use "I'd like …" or "I'll have …" when ordering your food and drinks. For example, "I'd like the spaghetti and some tea," or, "I'll have a sandwich and a soft drink." Pointing at the menu always works, too!

5. Could you bring …?/Do you have …? If there's something you need or would like more of, say, "Could you bring some extra napkins?" If you'd like an item you’re not sure the restaurant has then try, "Do you have …?" For example, if you want orange juice but don’t see it listed, ask, "Do you have orange juice?"

6. This isn't what I ordered. If the server brings you the wrong dish, say, "This isn't what I ordered, I ordered …" and continue with the name of the dish you wanted. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, make sure you do something about it.

7. Check, please! When you're ready to go, catch the waiter's attention and say, "Check, please!" for a short and simple end to your meal

Ramana
26-12-2009, 10:19
Is Your English Too Formal?
Does your English come across as too polite? While formal language is essential with your boss and your customers, you would sound strange to your friends if you speak with them in the same way. To tone down your English for life's casual situations, check out these tips.
Meetings and greetings

Do you ask everyone you see, "How do you do?" Though quite common in days past, today it's only appropriate in very formal situations - not with your friends. In most situations, choose a more common phrase like, "How are you?" With friends, you could also say, "Hey, what's up?" or "How's it going?"
Wining and dining

"Would you mind passing me the salt, please?" It's always important to remember your manners, especially when you're eating with business associates or important guests. But when you're just grabbing a bite to eat with friends, and you need the salt, it's quite OK to just say, "Hey, pass the salt."
Coming and going

You receive an urgent message during an important meeting, so you ask, "Would you excuse me for a moment, please?" But what if you're with your friends? Just tell them to "hang on a sec" or say you'll "be right back." Remember, it's not always impolite to be informal.
Didn't hear it?

Your customer is speaking to you, but you didn't understand what she said. Don't panic. Just be polite and say, "Excuse me, but would you mind repeating that?" On the other hand, in more casual situations, just ask, "Come again?" or "What did you say?"
Good impressions

"This is quite an impressive abode, my dear." This is a formal way to tell people that you really like their home. If you're over at a friend's place, however, there's no need for such serious language. Your friends would be perfectly happy to hear you exclaim, "What a cool place, man!"

Ramana
26-12-2009, 10:19
Essential expressions for managing a project in English

Whether you're a project manager or just a member of a project team, you can't avoid all the project management lingo flying around in offices around the world today. The problem is many of these expressions can't even be found in the dictionary. Just rely on our project management guide to learn today's office talk for tomorrow's projects!

Define the scope One of the first steps in project management is to determine the impact and the boundaries of a project, in other words creating the project scope. The scope should provide a description of the end products expected to be produced by the project.

Establish a timeline Next you should decide the time frame that specifies when each step of the project should be completed. By creating a timeline you will be able to know if you are on schedule throughout the life of the project.

Specify target outcomes How do you gauge the success of your project? It's important to specify target outcomes, or desired results that have measurable benefits, to use in determining your success

Determine necessary outputs Take time to think about the products, services, and business or management practices, otherwise known as outputs, that you will need in place in order to achieve your target outcomes.

Put a project team together People are the key to the success of your project. Select capable employees to take part in the project team - the team of people working together to accomplish the project - assigning appropriate roles to each.

Record milestones When members of the project team complete a scheduled key activity or task, make sure it is recorded. Milestones are either completed or not completed, and they can serve as a progress marker for the project.

Create baseline metrics Progress and performance should be evaluated using baseline metrics, which are a set of indicators that performance should be measured against.

Set a budget cost Determine how much you anticipate the project will cost, and set a budget cost at the start of the project. Later, you can refine your budget and make it more detailed.

Produce deliverables In order to ensure satisfaction of contractual requirements, you'll need to produce deliverables, such as reports or products that must be completed and delivered. Make sure they are produced on time!
Execute risk management In every project, there will always be risks, or threats that may hinder the successful completion of the project. A good project manager will execute risk management processes by identifying, analyzing, evaluating and treating potential risks

Ramana
26-12-2009, 10:20
Business English you should know

Can you stay on top of all the English at your workplace? Or do you feel
you're behind in your language learning? English is the
international business language, but not all of it is straightforward.
Here are some terms you might hear at your office

Stay on top of
If you're feeling overwhelmed in your job, you're probably not
staying on top of your work. This means to stay in control, and not get
behind or let your work pile up

On the ball
This phrase comes from the sports field. When you are on the ball, you
have to be alert and in charge. "Make sure you are on the ball with
those reports." The opposite is to drop the ball, which would mean not
completing an assignment and letting down the people you work with

Think outside the box
Many employers expect their staff to think creatively and approach
projects in new and different ways. In this phrase, the box signifies
conventional wisdom, or what is already known. Thinking outside the box
suggests coming up with new and innovative methods. "For this marketing
project, we need to think outside the box

Get the ball rolling
This idiom means to start something and set it in motion. "Let's get the
ball rolling on this project." Once you're off to a great start, you may
express your desire to keep the ball rolling

Brainstorm
This means to spend time thinking up lots of ideas. Many companies may
hold brainstorming sessions to tackle problems and dream up new ideas.
"Let's brainstorm new ideas for the advertising campaign.

Pull strings
What happens when you pull the strings to a puppet? It does what you
want it to do. This phrase means to go beyond what is normally done to
make something happen. "It will be difficult to talk with her. You may
have to pull some strings with her department

Multi-tasking
Are you good at multi-tasking or doing multiple tasks at the same time?
"This week we need you to write a report, make a presentation, and
review last year's earnings. I hope you can multi-task!" It still means
you only get paid one salary though

Bite off more than you can chew
If you take on too much work, you may not be able to do it all properly.
"He's working late every night. He bit off more than he could chew
Downtime
Are there periods of time where you don't have much work to do? Where
your job is just not as busy? That time is called downtime. "If you have
some downtime this week, please brainstorm some ideas for our next team
outing

Ramana
26-12-2009, 10:21
Burry the hatchet

To agree to stop arguing
Make up/make it
Burry the hatchet
Be reconciled
Patch up
Clear the air
conciliatory

Burry the hatchet:

To agree to stop arguing and forgive each other, esp. a long time after you first had the argument.

Example:

It’s about time to burry the hatchet after all these years.

Ramana
26-12-2009, 10:21
Punctuation

1 - hyphen

2 — dash

3 ! exclamation mark

4 # sharp

5 & ampersand

6 · bullet

7 ( ) (round) brackets; (round) parenthesis

8 * asterisk

9 , comma

10 . 1 full stop 2 point

11 ... ellipsis points; ellipsis dots

12 / oblique; slash;

13 : colon

14 ; semi-colon

15 ? question mark

16 [ ] (
square) brackets; (square) parenthesi 17
backslash

18 __
underline 19 ‘’ quotation marks; inverted commas

20 † dagger

Ramana
26-12-2009, 10:24
Numbers

The main units of numbers in English are:

one
ten
hundred
thousand
million
billion

Here is a list of numbers. On the left are normal or "cardinal" numbers. On the right are "ordinal" numbers, which we use to define a thing's position in a series.

Cardinal Number

Ordinal Number

zero, nought

one

1st
first

two

2nd
second

three

3rd
third

four

4th
fourth

five

5th
fifth

six

6th
sixth

seven

7th
seventh

eight

8th
eighth

nine

9th
ninth

ten

10th
tenth

eleven

11th
eleventh

twelve

12th
twelfth

thirteen

13th
thirteenth

fourteen

14th
fourteenth

fifteen

15th
fifteenth

sixteen

16th
sixteenth

seventeen

17th
seventeenth

eighteen

18th
eighteenth

nineteen

19th
nineteenth

twenty

20th
twentieth

twenty-one

21st
twenty-first

twenty-two

22nd
twenty-second

twenty-three

23rd
twenty-third

twenty-four

24th
twenty-fourth

thirty

30th
thirtieth

thirty-one

31st
thirty-first

forty

40th
fortieth

fifty

50th
fiftieth

sixty

60th
sixtieth

seventy

70th
seventieth

eighty

80th
eightieth

ninety

90th
ninetieth

hundred

100th
hundredth

hundred and one

101st
hundred and first

hundred and fifty-two

152nd
hundred and fifty-second

two hundred

200th
two hundredth

thousand

1,000th
thousandth

million

1,000,000th
millionth

billion

1,000,000,000th
billionth

For numbers in the hundreds, the British usually say "and" but the Americans usually do not say "and":

British English
120 = one hundred and twenty
American English
120 = one hundred twenty

Note that in English, we usually separate the digits of numbers over 999 with a comma (,). We count 3 digits from the right and insert a comma, like this:

<
-
-
-
<
-
-
-

one thousand

one million
twelve million, seven hundred and fifty thousand, two hundred

We use a point (.) to indicate a decimal number, or to separate dollars from cents, pounds from pennies and so on. Here are some examples:

=
one tenth or 1/10

=
one

=
one thousand

=
one thousand five hundred and three quarters

$
=
one dollar and fifty cents

$
=
seven hundred dollars
£
=
three thousand five hundred pounds and one penny

Be careful with commas and points. Some languages use them in the opposite way!

Ramana
26-12-2009, 10:24
Disasters

Natural Disasters

Hurricane= a storm with very strong winds.

Earthquake= a sudden strong shaking of the ground.

Flood= when there is flood, a lot of water covers the land.

Drought= a long time when there is not enough rain.

Famine= a famine happens when there is not enough food in a country.

Typhoon= a violent tropical storm in the pacific or Indian ocean with very strong winds.

Tornado= a violent storm with a very strong winds that blows in a circle.

Tsunami= an extremely large wave in the sea caused, for example by an earthquake.

Synonym: tidal wave.

Volcano= a mountain with a hole in the top where fire, gas and hot liquid rock (called lava) sometimes come out.

Have you ever experienced these disasters?

If yes, so tell us about it. I myself never experienced.

Ramana
26-12-2009, 10:25
Eating out

Places where you can eat

Café: you can have a cup of coffee/tea and a snack there (=something small to eat like a sandwich or a cake) they sometimes serve meals there too.

Restaurant: you go there for a full meal; more expensive than a Café

Bar/pup: bars and pups serve alcohol and soft drinks. (=non alcohol drinks like fruit juice and lemonade)

Sandwich bar: a place that serves lots of different sandwiches. People usually buy sandwiches and take them to eat in a different places, at work or in a park.

Fast food Restaurant /Café: you take what you want, pay for it and take it to your table

Ramana
26-12-2009, 10:26
انواع کار خلاف

Crime

Robberyدزدی

Murder قتل

Burglary دزدی منزل

Mugging کتک زدن

Person

A robber

A murderer

A burglar

A mugger

Verb

To rob somebody or a place (bank)

To murder somebody

To break into a house

To mug somebody

Crime

Car theft سرقت اتومبیل

Drug pushing/dealing مواد مخدر

Terrorism

Shoplifting

Person

A car theft

A drug pusher/dealer

A terrorist

A shoplifter دزدی از مغازه

Verb

To steal a car (steal/stole/stolen)

To sell drugs (sell/sold/sold)

To attack somebody or a place

To steal things from a shop

aliani
06-03-2010, 20:26
سلام دوستان من خیلی وقته دارم انگلیسی دست و پا شکسته کار میکنم الانم به فکر یادگیری لغت به طور قوی افتادم خوب قطعا دوستان هم دیکشنری به صورت en به en پیشنهاد میکنن اما یه مشکلی این وسط هست برای ترجمه یک لغت و اون اینکه همونطور که میدونید هر لغت مترادفهایی داره و قطعا با اون مترادفها معنی میشه اما خب درسته که اون لغات مترادف هم معنیه اون هست اما خیلی وقتها دیده شده که اون لغت مترادف جایگزین واقعی اون لغت نیست یعنی نمیشه در جمله از اون لغت استفاده کرد (ممکنه بعضی موقعها بشه استفاده کرد اما معنی جمله رو خیلی کم عوض میکنه) بلکه یه ویژگی خاصی داره که اونو از اون یکی لغت در عین ترادف متمایز میکنه .
میخواستم بدونم میتونید یه کتاب نرم افزار هر چی بهم معرفی کنید که معنی دقیق هر کلمه و اون ویزگی خاص اون کلمه که اونرو از کلمه مترادفش کمی متمایز میکنه رو گفته باشه و همچنین اون کلمه رو در جمله یا در اصطلاحات بکار برده باشه ؟

ممنون میشم در این رابطه کمکم کنید . :11:

seymour
07-03-2010, 21:26
سلام دوستان من خیلی وقته دارم انگلیسی دست و پا شکسته کار میکنم الانم به فکر یادگیری لغت به طور قوی افتادم خوب قطعا دوستان هم دیکشنری به صورت en به en پیشنهاد میکنن اما یه مشکلی این وسط هست برای ترجمه یک لغت و اون اینکه همونطور که میدونید هر لغت مترادفهایی داره و قطعا با اون مترادفها معنی میشه اما خب درسته که اون لغات مترادف هم معنیه اون هست اما خیلی وقتها دیده شده که اون لغت مترادف جایگزین واقعی اون لغت نیست یعنی نمیشه در جمله از اون لغت استفاده کرد (ممکنه بعضی موقعها بشه استفاده کرد اما معنی جمله رو خیلی کم عوض میکنه) بلکه یه ویژگی خاصی داره که اونو از اون یکی لغت در عین ترادف متمایز میکنه .
میخواستم بدونم میتونید یه کتاب نرم افزار هر چی بهم معرفی کنید که معنی دقیق هر کلمه و اون ویزگی خاص اون کلمه که اونرو از کلمه مترادفش کمی متمایز میکنه رو گفته باشه و همچنین اون کلمه رو در جمله یا در اصطلاحات بکار برده باشه ؟

ممنون میشم در این رابطه کمکم کنید . :11:
افزایش مهارت شما در این زمینه (یاد گرفتن واژه ها و درک اینکه در یه موقعیت خاص، کدوم یک از چندتا معنی یه واژه مناسب تره) نیاز به تجربه داره .. این یه چیزی نیست که شما فرضاً با خوندن یه کتاب یا دونستن یه فرمول بدست اش بیارید ..

بله - کتابهایی وجود داره که اساساً کارش بحث در مورد synonym هاست... اما باز میشه همین سوال رو از اول مطرح کرد.. به فرض که اون کتاب دقیقا بهت بگه که واژه x معادلهای a و b و c رو داره که در موقعیت های 1 و 2 و 3 استفاده میشن... شما مجدداً باید تسلط ات انقدر بالا باشه که وقتی جمله رو به فارسی برمی گردونی بدونی که الان با کدوم موقعیت سرکار داری و این یعنی تسلط به reading ...

من فکر می کنم روش مناسب برای یادگیری لغت اینه که در کاربرد و در موقعیت واقعی اش بشناسی اش و باهاش کلنجار بری ... یعنی شما مرتباً متن انگلیسی بخونی... سروکله زدن با یه متن (که شاید موضوعش هم موردعلاقه ات باشه) خیلی مفیدتر از اینه که دیکشنری رو مبنای کار قرار بدی.

ghahremanimehdi
07-03-2010, 21:42
بابیلون و Glossary های معروف رو نصب کن.
از دیکشنری و کتابهای collocations استفاده کن . collocations بهت یاد میده که کدوم کلمات رو با کدوم کلمات میتونی بکار ببری .
مثل کتاب collocations in use

یا دیکشنری Oxford collocations