PDA

نسخه کامل مشاهده نسخه کامل : ** Letter Writing**

Asalbanoo
13-04-2007, 23:41
The Basics

Do you need to write a letter but are not quite sure how to write it? Do you need to write a personal letter? A letter for a job? How about a letter for school?
The following information can help you write the type of letter that you nee

Asalbanoo
13-04-2007, 23:50
Guidelines for writing apologies:

Write as soon as possible after the incident. Apologize, but do not go overboard by saying, "I am very, very, very sorry." Keep it simple and to the point. Summarize what you are apologizing for, and apologize only for the particular situation or problem. Be brief. Apologize cheerfully and sincerely. Do not express feelings of guilt.

Explain what you will do to correct the mistake or situation. Assure the person that this will not happen again.

Do not put blame on another person and do not blame problems on computer errors or carelessness.

Thank the person for bringing the problem to your attention if you were unaware of the situation.

Reread the letter to check your grammar, spelling and tone.

Asalbanoo
13-04-2007, 23:55
Have you received an award or honor and want to write an appreciative letter? Have your employees, colleagues, teachers, family, or friends achieved an accomplishment? Has someone done a job well? Have you received financial contributions or scholarships and want to express your gratitude? Here are some tips on how to write your appreciation letter in a thoughtful way.

Other reasons to write an appreciation letter:

Group efforts

Introductions

Invitations to speak

Helpful advice or suggestions

Personal favors

Recommendations

References

Sympathy

Volunteers

Guidelines for writing appreciation letters:

State what you appreciate and briefly explain why. Do not add other news or information not related to the appreciative gesture, the message of appreciation should stand alone. Be brief, warm, and sincere. Postcards may be used for short notes. Personal notes should be handwritten. Business letters should be typed on letterhead stationary or memo paper.

Asalbanoo
13-04-2007, 23:59
Financial Contributions

Dear Dr. Emma Hour

I am very grateful for the numerous financial contributions you have made in support of my education. Without your help, I may never have been able to complete my studies. Your generosity and help have been an inspiration to me.
Again, thank you for your encouragement and financial support.
Sincerely,
Jane T. Jackson
Jane T. Jackson

----------------
Awards/Honors

To Mr. Mick E. Mouse,

We would like to express our appreciation for your remarkable service as a member of the Rodents for Education Club. The contributions you have made to our club over the past two years have been invaluable to us. We wish you much luck in your future endeavors.
Sincerely,
Chuk E. Cheeze
Chuk E. Cheeze

-----------------

Recommendations

To Dr. Frank N. Stein,

I am applying to Oxford University's Graduate School of Bio-Engineering. I would appreciate it if you could write a letter of recommendation for me. Enclosed is a form that outlines what the recommendation should include, my resume, and a self-addressed stamped envelope in which to send your recommendation.
I appreciate you taking the time to do this for me. If for some reason you are unable to complete the recommendation for me, please let me know via email (dolly@lambchops.com (dolly@lambchops.com)) or phone.
Thank you,
Ms. Dolly Lamb
Ms. Dolly Lamb

--------------
Reply to a Sympathy Card

Dear Ms. Angela Cloud,

Thank you so much for your lovely card. I appreciate your thoughtfulness at this time of sadness in my life. I will contact you again once things change for the better.
With Love,
Mrs. Terry Eyed
Mrs. Terry Eyed

love-to-learn
14-04-2007, 07:46
Hi my dear friend,

Why don't you continue here :thumbsdow it's about letter writing anyway

[ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ]

Good luck:11:l

Reza1969
14-04-2007, 12:37
Hi my dear friend,

Why don't you continue here :thumbsdow it's about letter writing anyway

[ برای مشاهده لینک ، لطفا با نام کاربری خود وارد شوید یا ثبت نام کنید ]

Good luck:11:l

Dear love-to-learn

I think it's better to be here as the two topics have got two different subjects. This one deals with all sorts of letters while the other one concerns just application letters.

Thanks for your attention, by the way:20:

Asalbanoo
15-04-2007, 09:24
Have you ever been in a situation where you need to make a complaint? Did a company bill you incorrectly? Have your neighbor's children been misbehaving? Have you been experiencing work, school or legal problems? Has there been a misunderstanding you want cleared up?
The following information will help you write an effective complaint letter

Guidelines for writing complaints:

Write the letter as soon as possible after the incident, while it is still fresh in your mind. Type the letter

Explain the problem as clearly, briefly, and fairly as possible. In the first and last lines of the letter, clearly state your expectations of the other party.

Try to confront only one problem at a time. If there are several problems, pick two or three that need immediate attention and briefly list these and how you expect them to be rectified.

Focus on how the problem can be solved, not on petty details of the problem. Stick to the facts and avoid emotional statements

Try to give the letter a polite, positive tone, not a negative tone. Do not use words that express blame. Do not threaten to sue. The objective is to solve the problem and come to some kind of agreement or reimbursement.

Include all the important information, including dates and times of the occurrence. Include information on how you can be contacted, such as a phone number and address. In case of problems related to merchandise, make copies of documents such as bills and receipts, include the copies with the letter, and keep the originals for your records.

Conclude your letter with confidence that the matter will be resolved to your satisfaction.

Asalbanoo
15-04-2007, 09:26
Misbehaving Child
To Betty Grimes,
I am writing to inform you that your daughter, Sarah, broke the front passenger window of my Ford Taurus while playing softball yesterday afternoon. The car is brand new. Hopefully, your homeowner's insurance will cover this kind of damage. Please check with them to see if it is covered. If they will not pay for it, I will get two repair estimates for you so that you can determine how you will pay for the repair.
Perhaps we could meet this Saturday afternoon to discuss our options. You can reach me at (202) 555-1098. Thank you for your timely attention to this matter.
Thank you,
Ms. Green Ms. Green

----------------

School: Dissatisfaction with Grade

To Dr. P.Y. Sockman:

This letter is to express my dissatisfaction with the grade that I received for my class project. I know you made it clear that individuals in each group would all receive the same grade; but I am asking you to reconsider your decision about my grade.
I put a lot of effort into this project. I spent numerous hours in the library and at the computer working on my research. My project partner, Jack, apparently did not approach the project with the same dedication as I. Enclosed, you will find copies of my notes and sources that I used in my research.
You encouraged us to speak with you if we encountered any problems within our groups, and I made two appointments with you to discuss the situation. Unfortunately, you were unable to attend either one. Considering that I did attempt to contact you, and that I put a lot of effort into this project, I hope that you will be generous enough raise my project grade.
Thank you,
Stu Dent Stu Dent
--------------
Rude Salesperson
Woodson's Department Store

Sales Manager
Dear Sales Manager,
This letter is a complaint concerning the actions of one of your salespersons. On Tuesday, May 1, 1999, around 3 PM, I went to your store to look for an outfit. When I asked an available salesperson, Ms. Maria Johnson, for help in finding my size, she informed me that she was busy and that I would have to find it myself. I explained that the reason I came to her was because I couldn't find it. She then said in a rude tone that if I couldn't find it, it means that your store did not have it, and that I needed to look somewhere else.
I felt that Ms. Johnson was rude and unnecessarily curt with me. If she was busy, she could have simply and politely told me that she would be able to help me in a moment. I hope that you will confront Ms. Johnson about her behavior. I shop frequently at your store and I look forward to a more pleasurable shopping experience next time.
Thank you,
Mrs. Betty Moneybags Mrs. Betty Moneybags

Asalbanoo
19-04-2007, 16:31
Do you want to congratulate someone on their anniversary, birthday, wedding, promotion, or graduation? Has your friend successfully handled a new change or reached a personal achievement?

Below you will find information that will help you write a wonderful and memorable letter of congratulations.

Guidelines for writing congratulations:
Say your best wishes early in the message and again when you close. Make sure you mention the occasion that is being celebrated. Do not add other news or information in the message, with the exception of birthday cards. Express how happy you are for the person and how you learned about the delightful news.

Avoid going overboard on flattery.

Be positive and pleasant. If you have an objection about an event, do not include that in your message, or do not write a letter at all

Asalbanoo
19-04-2007, 16:34
Anniversary

Dear Mom and Dad,
Congratulations on your 25th wedding anniversary! Just getting this far is an accomplishment, and I wish you happiness for the next 25 years and more! Your loving daughter, Emily

Graduation

Dear Stu,
Congratulations on receiving your doctorate in Philosophy! I am sure that graduation was a sensational day for you after all the years of studying. I wish you all the success in the world! Again, congratulations on a memorable achievement.
Love, Charm Gold Charm Gold

Engagement

Dear Barbara and Ken,
Congratulations on your engagement! I wish you the best and look forward to your wedding day. Thank you for your lovely invitation.
Again, warmest congratulations!
Love, Maria G. Maria G.

Job

Dear Stu,
Congratulations on your new job at the Academia Institute! I am sure that you will be an invaluable contributor at Academia. I hope that you find the job rewarding and satisfying.
Good luck! Ms. Goldie Hill Ms. Goldie Hill

Asalbanoo
22-04-2007, 15:14
Do you have an engagement, wedding, baby shower, or graduation coming up? Is there a performance, school event, or meeting to which you want to invite people? Any special religious ceremonies like Communion or a Bar Mitzvah? Do you want to invite someone to speak at your meeting or conference?

Whatever your event is, the following will help you write an effective invitation.
Guidelines for writing invitations:
State the occasion, date, time, and place. Include addresses and a map if necessary. Mention if refreshments will be served. List any charges that may apply. Include a telephone number for RSVPs. If there is a dress code, state the preferred dress in the lower left-hand corner of the card

If you need a response, include a self-addressed, stamped reply card or envelope with your invitation.

Express that you are looking forward to seeing the person.

Do not use abbreviations and do not use contractions (don't; we'll) except for name titles, such as Mr., Mrs., etc.

If dinner will be served, state two separate times: the time people can start arriving and the time dinner will be served.

If you do not want gifts, briefly state that gifts are not wanted or needed. Explain that their presence is the only gift you need.

Make sure you send your invitations out with ample advance notice.

If you have guests coming from out of town or from other countries, you may want to send out your invitation several months in advance (especially if your event takes place around a holiday.) This will allow your guests adequate time to make preparations, reservations, save money, etc.

For smaller, less formal events that include local guests or guests from nearby areas, you may only need to provide a few weeks notice.

If you are inviting someone to speak at a conference, your invitation should include the following information:

Name of the conference and the sponsoring organization;

Date, time, place of the conference and speech;

Type of audience;

The type of speech, topic, and how long the speech should be;

Any accommodations that will be made, including lodging, meals, and transportation;

The name of the contact person along with phone numbers and addresses where the person can be contacted; and

Finally, articulate your pleasure of having the person speak at the meeting or conference.

Asalbanoo
22-04-2007, 15:17
Formal Invitation

Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin Rasool
cordially invite you to a reception
celebrating the engagement of
Mary Jane Rasool and Robert Yates
to be held Sunday, the sixth of June
at six o'clock
Pierre's Cafe
800 23rd Street NW
Washington, DC

RSVP Semi-Formal Dress
(202) 555-6908

Business Invitation

Longman's Transportation Services
Cordially invites you to the
15th Annual Employees Appreciation Picnic.
The whole family is welcome!
12:00 pm to 8:00 pm
Saturday, May 22, 1999
South Redding Creek Park
Redding, Maryland
Food, drink, games, and
entertainment will be provided.

Personal Invitation

You are invited to Michael Carison's 10th birthday!

Date: Saturday June 12, 1999
Time: 11:30 am to 3:00 pm
Where: 345 Eastern Avenue

Lodi, Washington
Call Tonia at (307) 555-1234 to RSVP

Asalbanoo
24-04-2007, 20:33
Has a friend, neighbor, or relative experienced the death of someone close to them? Has someone you know experienced a loss or misfortune? Has someone been recently divorced or had a miscarriage? Has there been an accident or the loss of a loved pet?

Although sympathy letters are probably the most difficult types of letters to write, these tips will help you write a sympathy letter that is tactful and appreciated. Guidelines for writing condolence letters:

A simple "I'm sorry" is sometimes the only thing that is necessary to say. Avoid being overly dramatic. Keep the letter as brief and as short as possible

Make sure you include the name of the person who died or mention the specific incident that caused sorrow for the person.

If you knew the deceased, mention something positive about the person, such as a memory, a short story, or anything else that pays tribute to their life

Condolences can be offered through prayers, thoughts and good wishes, but avoid being too religious if you do not know the person very well

Offer to help in some way

People should be allowed to mourn in their own way and in their own time. Do not tell the person to look at the bright side.

Notes for acquaintances and colleagues should be written in the same way as notes for friends or relatives, although shorter

Be careful with your word choice. Avoid using uncomfortable words that may indicate that the death was tragic or gruesome.

When writing your letter, imagine yourself in the other person's place.

Close with an expression of sympathy or affection.

Asalbanoo
24-04-2007, 20:35
Death of a Pet

Dear Gregory,

I am sorry to hear about the death of your dog, Barky. I know how much you will miss him. I will miss him jumping up to greet me when I visit you. I hope that you are doing well during this difficult time. If you ever feel lonely and need someone to talk to, please do not hesitate to call me.
Take care of yourself.

Love,
Becky

---------
Loss of a Job

Dear Stu,

I was saddened to hear that you lost your job at the Academia Institute. I know that you were really excited about the prospect of working there. I hope that this time does not become too difficult for you. I wish you luck in finding a new job, and in all your other pursuits.
Remember I am your cousin and will do anything I can for you. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. Take care of yourself.

Love,
Charm Gold

-------------
Divorce

Dear Diamond Sky,

I was saddened to hear about your divorce. I know this is a difficult and painful time, and I wish you all the compassion and support you deserve. If you ever need help in taking care of the girls or with anything else, let me know.
You are in my prayers.
Best wishes,

Red N. Socks
Red N. Socks

Asalbanoo
29-04-2007, 12:32
Do you want government officials or other people in positions of authority to take action on issues that matter to you?

This will guide you as you write an advocacy letter.
Guidelines for writing advocacy letters:

State clearly what you would like your reader to do

Explain briefly why you think he/she should do this. Help your reader understand the need for action on his/her part, but avoid giving so much detail that you bore or annoy him/her

If the action you are requesting would require the reader to contact you, provide your telephone number, fax number, and/or e-mail address.

Format for your advocacy letter:

Letterhead
(or just type your name and address)

Date
Name of the Reader
Title of the Reader (if he/she has one)
Address of the Reader
Salutation:

1st Paragraph - State what you want the person to do for you.
2nd Paragraph - State the most important facts that support your cause. You want this paragraph to explain the most compelling reasons for action.
3rd Paragraph - Talk about how the reader can make a personal difference. This paragraph should not just be facts, and should engage the reader in a personal way. You can refer to your request again here.
4th Paragraph - Thank the reader for considering your request, and provide information on how you may be reached.

Closing

Your signature
Your typed name
Your title (if you have one)

Sample Advocacy Letter

State Association of the Deaf
14420 W. Water Street
Baltimore, MD 34413

December 18, 1993
Honorable William Donald Schaefer
Governor of Maryland
State House, Room 216
Annapolis, MD 21401
Dear Governor Schaefer:
What you want the reader to do
The deaf and hard of hearing community of Maryland will hold a rally in support of the Video Caption Access Bill (VCAB) outside of the State Capitol in Annapolis, MD, on Thursday, January 27, 1994. We would be honored to have you take part in the short program at 11:30a.m. and the press conference at 12:15p.m.
Most important facts supporting your cause
The VCAB, sponsored by Delegate Martin G. Madden, would require any commercially produced video to be open or closed captioned before it can enter the rental or retail sales markets in Maryland. Since movie theatres are not accessible for the 385,000 deaf and hard of hearing residents of Maryland, deaf people generally must watch open or closed captioned videotapes instead. In spite of this, it has been documented that of the approximately 40,000 videos available for sale or rent, only 5,000 are captioned. Furthermore, every month 400 more videos are released, but only 60 of those have captions.
How your reader can make a personal difference
We have long admired your strong leadership and commitment to issues relative to the diverse needs of individuals with disabilities. Accordingly, we would be extremely grateful if you would join us on this special day to send a strong message to the Maryland legislators and the general public about the strong need for captioned videos.
Thanks, and contact information
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need additional information. I can be reached at work, (202) 651-5315 (Voice/TTY), or by fax at (202) 651-5463. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
Harvey Goodstein
Harvey Goodstein, Ph. D.
President

Asalbanoo
02-05-2007, 21:24
Do you have a party coming up? Has a meeting been scheduled and needs to be posted? Has enrollment been declining and you want to recruit new members?

This section will help you write effective and attention getting notices to your fellow students.

Guidelines for writing organization and club notices:

Keep the information as brief as possible. Include the name of your organization, date, time, place, type of gathering, and if any refreshments or food will be served.

If you are advertising an event for which tickets will be sold, include the ticket price and sales dates.

If the event is for the general public, indicate that all people are welcome, not just members. Let them know that you look forward to seeing them at the gathering.

If the event is for club members only, then messages should be sent personally by email or by mail.

However, since some students don't read their email, or they just ignore messages they think may be junk mail, it's probably better to send a message through regular mail.
If the event is for a club with a very large membership, meeting notices may be posted in a public place.
When creating flyers, include graphics and bright colors to catch students' attention. It is easy for people to ignore flyers because they see so many of them during the day. Try to make yours stand out.

Asalbanoo
02-05-2007, 21:29
Party Announcement

Traveling Student's Club
Appreciation Party

Thursday May 6, 1999

4:00 pm- 8:00 pm

Multipurpose Room, Ely Center

All Welcome!

Refreshments Provided
---------------------
Announcement for Member Meeting: Email
Traveling Student's Club
Please attend our bimonthly member meeting:

Date: Tuesday April 5

Time: 5-6 pm

Where: HMB A101

Agenda: Discuss upcoming Appreciation Party, vote for our next travel destination.

We hope to see you there!

Asalbanoo
08-05-2007, 03:46
Cover Letters

If you are applying for a job that requires you to submit a resume, you should include a cover letter with your resume and application.
The purpose of the cover letter is to:

introduce yourself to the employer

indicate which position you are applying for;

explain why you are interested in that specific position;

direct their attention toward information on your resume that is of particular relevance to the position.

Guidelines for writing cover letters:

Do your homework! Modify your letter to fit the company and their needs. Include any information appropriate to the job you are applying for.

Show concern, interest, and pride for your profession and your skills.

State briefly what is enclosed. If there are several items, list them. Keep the letter simple and to the point. Tell the truth. Don't try to be overly friendly, but don't be too remote either.

Include your telephone number or numbers where you can be contacted. When writing the letter, address the person you are sending it to, not to a title.

Indicate any response you are expecting from the company. Ask for the next step, such as an interview or some other meeting.

Cover letters that are sent to job search firms or employment agencies should include your current or expected salary if requested and note if you are willing to relocate.

Add relay information if you are deaf/ hard-of-hearing and your prospective employer is hearing. Be sure to briefly explain how to use the relay service.

Asalbanoo
08-05-2007, 04:01
Sample of cover letter to a newspaper advertisement for a summer job:

Rosalie Yates
139 Central Park Avenue ? Anytown, DC 20000
(202) 555-0231

7 March 1999
Patrick Straub
Personell Manager
XYZ Company
445 N. 45th St.
New York, NY 60045

Dear Mr. Straub:
I was excited to see your advertisement for a summer intern. An internship with your company would be a perfect opportunity to develop my skills as a _______ major at _________ University.
My professional capabilities would make me an asset to your company. For example, my experience with _________ adequately prepares me to ________ for XYZ this summer.
I would greatly benefit from working with knowledgeable professionals in my field of study, and working for XYZ would provide such an opportunity.
I would love to be part of your team. I am available to meet with you at your earliest convenience. You can contact me at the address and phone number above, or at rosalie@rocketmail.com (rosalie@rocketmail.com).
Thank you for your consideration.
Sincerely,
Rosalie Yates
Rosalie Yates
Resume included

Asalbanoo
18-05-2007, 17:10
A cover letter accompanies your resume and introduces you to the employer. In the letter, explain where you learned about the job, tell why you are interested, and highlight what parts of your background make you most qualified for the position. You also can include specific information about how you can be contacted in case the exployer would like to interview you. A bad cover letter can tempt the employer to put aside your resume without even reading it.

Most important, your cover letter should not have any spelling or grammatical mistakes. Strong cover letters refer to past experience using action verbs and identify specific accomplishments that will be of most interest to the
------------------------

examples

Guidelines for Application (Cover) Letter

Your Present Address
City, State, Zip Code
Date of Letter

Individual's Name
Title
Organization
Street Address
City, State, Zip Code

Dear ____________________: (Use Mr./Ms. and last name only)

FIRST PARAGRAPH. Indicate the reason for writing, the specific position or type of work for which your are applying, and how you learned of the opening (placement center, news media, friend, employment service).

SECOND PARAGRAPH (most important paragraph). Explain why you are interested in the position, the organization, its products or services, and what you can do for the employer. If a recent graduate, explain how your academic background qualifies you for the position. If you have some practical work experience, point out specific achievements or unique qualifications. Do not repeat word for word the same information in your resume.

THIRD PARAGRAPH. Refer the reader to the enclosed resume, which summarizes your qualifications, training, and experience. NOTE: Paragraphs two and three can be combined if very short.

FINAL PARAGRAPH. Indicate your desire for an interview. You can suggest possible dates and times, especially if you plan to be in that city, or mention that you are flexible about scheduling. Repeat your phone number in the letter and offer any assistance for a speedy response. If you are depending on a phone relay, it is a good idea to explain how this works to a hearing exployer. Close your letter with a statement or question that will encourage a response; for example, mention that you will call on a certain date to see about setting up an interview. Or, ask if the company will be recruiting in your area or if the employer desires additional information or reference.

Sincerely yours,
(Your Handwritten Signature)
(Type your Name)

Enclosure (Indicates that resume, application, etc., are enclosed.)

Asalbanoo
18-05-2007, 17:11
2244 Oak Street
Rockville, MD 20859

July 1, 1993

Ms. Joan Hirer
Director of Personnel
Imagemakers, Inc.
4000 75th Street
New York, NY 10004

Dear Ms. Hirer:

Your Personnel Job Vacancy Listing is announcing the position of Public Information Specialist in your Department of Public Relations. I am very interested in being considered for this position.

While a student at Gallaudet University, I majored in communication arts and took several courses related to public relations. I also did two internships in the public relations field through our University's co-op internship program. During my internships with the Government of the District of Colombia and with Giant Food, Inc., I answered inquiries about various services and programs and helped research and develop some materials for constituents and consumers.

Enclosed is my resume, which contains more details about my work experience and educational accomplishments.

I am confident that I could contribute valuable ideas and skills to your organization. I would like to arrange an opportunity for us to meet and will contact you within two weeks to set up an interview. Should you or your staff wish to contact me earlier, please call me at (301) 723-7543. Because I am deaf, I suggest that you call me through a relay telephone service. To do this, call (800) 735-2258. The relay agent will answer your call, and call me using teletype equipment (TTY). Then the agent will relay your comments to me, and mine to you. I am looking forward to meeting you and sharing more about my abilities and experience.

Sincerely,

Sally Greatworker

Enclosure

sise
21-05-2007, 01:48
very brief and useful! I would search such a practical essays about Writing letters. Thanke you

Asalbanoo
21-05-2007, 15:12
146 Tilden Dr.
Washington, D.C. 20016

June 3, 1994

Mr. Barry Sullivan
Human Resources Manager
Alameda County Recreation Programs
157 Stone Creek Way
Walden, MA 03522

Dear Mr. Sullivan:

I was excited to see the Recreational Programs/Disabled Citizens Coordinator position recently advertised in the Gallaudet University Career Information Center. I graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Recreation and Leisure Studies from Gallaudet University in May 1994, and would like to be considered for this opportunity.
During my undergraduate years, I developed valuable skills by working for recreational programs in Washington, DC and Kingston, NY. My experience includes organizing, implementing, and/or participating in a variety of community-based programs for disabled individuals. As a deaf individual, I have first hand knowledge about services and resources available in the community. I am able to communicate well with program participants, supervisors and co-workers. Please find enclosed my resume and transcript which summarize my work experiences and educational accomplishments.
My education and past experiences have given me the tools to make a positive difference related to programming for disabled citizens. I would welcome the opportunity to meet with you to discuss how I could contribute to your program. I will contact you within 10 days to see if you would be interested in meeting with me. I can be reached through the Maryland Relay Service on 1-800-735-2258. When the Relay Representative answers, ask to make a TTY call to me at (301)555-9835.
Sincerely,

Maria L. Turner

Asalbanoo
04-06-2007, 13:15
Follow-up Letters
What to Do After the Interview
Accepting a Job Offer
Declining a Job Offer

Asalbanoo
04-06-2007, 13:16
Have you recently scheduled a business appointment or a job interview and want to confirm the meeting date? Have you just had a job interview? Do you need to find out if you have been accepted for the job?
This section will give you tips and samples on how to write your follow-up letter.

Guidelines for writing follow-up letters:

Mention your reason for writing the letter. Use phrases like, "I haven't heard from you, so I thought I would contact you again to see." or, "I wanted to confirm our meeting time of 2:00 pm on Tuesday, November 16th."

If you are confirming an appointment, make sure you refer to the date, time, location and subject of the meeting.

After a job interview, it is a good idea to send a follow-up letter, as this may sway the interviewer's opinion in your favor. This letter should state how much you enjoyed the interview and how much you would like the job. Indicate that you are willing to provide additional information or references. This is also a good time to clarify anything you may have not fully discussed in the interview.

If a meeting has been scheduled several months or weeks in advance, it is a good idea to send a follow-up letter closer to the appointment date. Repeat all the necessary information, including date, time, location, and any items he or she should bring. Most importantly, indicate that you look forward to seeing the person.

Indicate if you need a response and how the person can respond to you: via phone, E-mail, in person, or by mail.

If this is a second follow-up letter, and you have not yet received a response from your original letter, include a copy of it with your new letter, or repeat the message. Emphasize the importance of his/her response.

When writing your letter, avoid negative remarks. Do not imply that the reader is thoughtless, forgetful, or negligent. If you make the reader feel defensive, they will not be likely to respond in a positive manner. Showing your frustration only makes the situation worse.

If you have sent a gift and have not received an acknowledgement, send a follow-up letter a few weeks later. Make sure you describe the item you sent. It is possible that the person did not get it, it may have been misidentified, or opened by someone else, especially if it was sent to a business.

When writing an email, the letter will be a little less formal. Keep the email as short as possible and stay on the one subject.

Asalbanoo
04-06-2007, 13:17
To Confirm an Appointment Via Email

To: Dr. Tom Jones

Subject: Follow-up meeting

CC: Self (Stu Gally)

I am looking forward to our meeting on Friday at 10:00am at your office to discuss my status as graduate student in your program. I will see you then.

Thank you,

Stu Gally

--------------------------

After a Job Interview

To Miss Marie Hichock,

I would like to thank you for meeting me for the salesperson job. I enjoyed the interview and I hope you found it enjoyable as well. I really am interested in this sales position, and I feel that I can be a great benefit to your company.

If you need any additional information, please feel free to contact me at (202) 123-4567. Again, thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Alfred Norman

----------------------------

Acknowledgment For a Gift

Dear Jennifer,

How are you? How's married life going? I am doing fine. I just wanted to be sure that you received the crystal vase I sent you last June. I know how busy life can be for newly-weds, so I thought that I would check to be sure that the mail got through to you. I wish I could've been there for your wedding, but it was just too much with Michael being sick. He is out of the hospital now and doing well. I hope that your wedding was a beautiful and wonderful day for you.

Take care and keep in touch!

Love always,

Your Aunt Hilda